September 23, 2014

The real reason Without A Trace was cancelled

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 4th 2009 8:57PM
without_a_trace_cbs

Amid the CBS Summer Press Tour this week, the subject came up about why the network had cancelled Without A Trace. It wasn't ratings, which is clearly the truth because just this past weekend, Without A Trace was pulling over six million viewers for a rerun, doubling the number of people who tuned in for the brand new ABC series, Defying Gravity. Therefore, if Without A Trace was still capable of besting the fodder produced by the competition, why on earth would CBS dump it?

"Every show has its own life cycle," said CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler, who went on to explain that the shows the network had in development were just too good to wait. In other words, The Good Wife, Three Rivers and NCIS: Los Angeles, none of which are proven hits, were more important than an established success.

Frankly, that's a lot of crap. It's bad business. If Without A Trace still worked -- and it did -- CBS could have put it into the mid-season rotation and waited for the fate of the new hour dramas. This decision was not about the life cycle, either. It was about money. Without A Trace was going to start costing CBS more money because the cast were all going to be re-upping for additional seasons. Rather than pay the fare, CBS let it go.

What doesn't add up to me, though, is why another network didn't pick up the show. NBC has no room for a 10 o'clock show -- thanks, Jay Leno -- but what about ABC or Fox? You think either of those networks wouldn't mind about six million loyal viewers tuning in and perhaps sticking around for more?

By the way, I recently cleared out my DVR and watched the final two episodes of Without A Trace. Tassler is right that the show went out while it was still vibrant and strong. It still seems as though it was too soon. There were a couple of more years left in that series, a couple of more good years.

Hilary Smith

I live in the UK and Without a Trace has been showing all the seasons on Universal & I have watched EVERY one of them then I come to watch season 7 episode 24 and THAT IS IT!!! no more???? I am getting really fed up of watching various TV shows and getting really into them and then WHAM it is cancelled, one was cancelled after one season. I have tried to find something to replace the cancelled shows and cannot find a single one that is any good and keep me coming back for more..what you are now showing are all RUBBISH compared to without a trace. EXCELLENT actors EXCELLENT story lines what more can you ask for?? BRING IT BACK!!

July 30 2014 at 6:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anything1234

"Without A Trace" was such a good program. There are others that are not good and are still showing. I don't get it. It is not fair. I never missed an episode. The actors are so good. Typical, good actors that don't get recognition. It is ashamed, really bad. I'm not happy at all. So is my 84 year old mother that love the show. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

March 06 2014 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wonkguy

Excellent show, cancelled too soon

August 28 2011 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chromantic

The story and the characters that make up the show "Without A Trace" is just as good as "Law and Order" and "Chiminal Minds" . I catch all the reruns on several other stations, never get tired watching them over and over. Seems that the show brings on a message for us to look out for our safety. If "Law And Order" is still running, why can't "Without A Trace". Please C B S bring it back with new episodes.

July 17 2011 at 3:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty

I just love this show. I watch all the reruns and it is a shame that it was cancelled. The cast and story lines were superb.

June 24 2011 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheryl

I totally agree! And, just like other businesses, if they have to pay more, they'd rather not. Too bad for us. I've enjoyed seeing some of the cast on other shows. Cold Case, too. Somuch for what the customer wants.

June 02 2011 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EM8TA

I really love Without a Trace it seems all that 's on the TV now is reality junk. The orginal L&O gone, Cold Case gone.
I will be in rerun heaven because there is not one show on TV worth looking at...

February 20 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LW

All of those new shows are CRAP. Half of network's fall lineup don't even last one season, CBS is losing more money by cancelling Without a Trace.

January 13 2011 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

WHY DID YOU CANCEL Without a Trace??? I even watched the reruns every day on TNT. Please bring it back. You have made a mistake. It is a great show. This 2009 Fall shows are crap! I don't like any of them and you take the good ones off the air.

Listen to you audience and bring it back.

Thanks,

J.

October 12 2009 at 3:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mcovino

It is evedent that the person responsible for the cancellation of"Without a Trace" should have there employment cancelled.

October 03 2009 at 8:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply