October 22, 2014

USA signs up for more In Plain Sight

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 4th 2009 8:02PM
Richard_Schiff_In_Plain_Sight

Things are really cooking at the USA Network. Not only has the new show Royal Pains been renewed for a second season, but Burn Notice is also coming back for a fourth. Law and Order: Criminal Intent is on the verge of being re-upped, and now In Plain Sight has just gotten a pick-up for Season Three.

Wow! Talk about a winning formula. This part of the Universal family, as opposed to NBC, seems to have figured out how to make dramas work and work well.

Earlier this summer, I was singing the praises of In Plain Sight. Nothing that's happened since has made me back off of those thoughts. In Plain Sight is appointment viewing for me now. Mary McCormack's character has evolved, especially now that Mary has accepted Rafe's engagement ring and confided her secret profession -- U.S. Marshall with the Witness Protection Agency -- with him.

Then there's the ongoing mystery of Marshall Shannon's father. Did he really have another family or was that "sister" who showed up just an FBI ruse to entrap Mary's family? It seemed to be the latter, but the story remain unresolved. My pet theory is that Richard Schiff's character -- the New York rabbi who appeared earlier this year -- is coming back to find Dad for Mary.

Like Burn and Royal, In Plain Sight's pick-up was for 16 episodes. The drama is averaging more than five million viewers per episode, and the current summer season comes to a close on August 16.

Jeanne

Does anyone know why In Plain Sight is not coming back until April of 2010? One of the things that I like about USA shows is the break the season into two parts. Not only do you not have to wait as long for the show to come back but it remains fresher. Why did they change the format for this show? I think Burn Notice is coming back sooner than this. Just seems odd that for this one show, the format changed.

August 15 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karenlu

USA has so many good shows. Can they possibly really be related to NBC???

August 06 2009 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CParis

In Plain Sight is one of my favorites, too. USA is on a roll with a summer full of shows worth tuning in to - not like all the reality retreads on the "major" networks.

August 04 2009 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

And coming up this week, it's a 'Murder One' reunion with JC MacKenzie. I'd like to see Michael Hayden, but he seems to be doing mostly stage work.

August 04 2009 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

IPS has turned out to be a really great show. I thought it would be nothing more than a cop procedural, but amazingly enough, it is more than that.

Still not sure what I think about Royal Pains. I think the brother (the CPA, Evan I think his name is) is useless and annoying, and the characters do a lot of things that make absolutely no sense... things that are clearly not in their best interests, things that they have no reason to do, yet they do anyway. Let's just call it script problems. It's like they want a character to be in a certain position, so the character just goes and puts himself in that position - without any motivation or rational reason to do so. But hopefully kinds like that will get worked out and the show will turn out to be as good as IPS.

August 04 2009 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply