October 31, 2014

All My Children and One Life to Live on the move

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 5th 2009 8:02PM
abc_daytime_logoFor nearly a week, ABC denied that there was any truth to the rumor that All My Children was moving to the West Coast. Then yesterday the network just announced the cross-country relocation. ABC Daytime released a statement explaining that this December, All My Children -- which has been produced in New York City for 39 years -- is going to Los Angeles. And One Life to Live, also a New York soap, is getting All My Children's studio. Yes, a hand-me down facility, but just don't think of it that way.

While the move for AMC and OLTL will mean better facilities and more space, what about the casts and crews? Will all the actors on AMC make the move west -- or is this a way to cost cut and drop a few players along the way? Susan Lucci is a given; she'll go west.

But what about an actor like James Mitchell who turned 89 last February? Granted, he's only a recurring player now, but still, Palmer Cortlandt is a fixture in Pine Valley. He's integral. But has anyone worried about the actors?

The network didn't address those issues. It would seem a given that a lot of jobs in the crew and staff will be lost because OLTL won't need them since they have their own crew and staff. However, if you ask me, One Life will follow AMC west within the year. Ultimately, ABC Daytime will want all its soap production in the same place.

On the plus side, AMC will be upgraded to HD. The new HD AMC will begin broadcasting in February 2010.

Skater Boy

I hear what people are saying about new blood and such but remember we all will be old one day. My only criticism of Budwig is that at least Lucci was loyal to AMC. Nothing to begrudge Budig and all but when and where do you find an employee like Lucci who unlike Budwig reall had prime time opportunities who always stayed with the soaps. Deidre Hall and and the younger set all thought night time and movies were the "thing" but came "crawling" back at some time. Not Lucci, she realized her bread and butter, she was loyal and never treated daytime as second rate. Maybe that's why I wish people would give her more credit. I realize she IS Erica Kane now but she plays the role so entertainly well. Yes, the show will go on for a while without Lucci but seeing her even on OLTL would not be the same. Still I hope she doesn't retire and that AMC would show a little more respect.

August 20 2009 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I've only been watching AMC for just over 5 years, and I have really enjoyed it. While it would be a shame to lose the pivotal character of Erica Kane, could the move to LA mean a return of Rebecca Buddig as Greenlee, always my favorite character on the show? That would to me be a "trade-off" well worth it, especially given all the hints that Greenlee hasn't been dead after all. Sadly, young blood is what keeps soaps alive in this day and age, and a permanent Buddig return would likely do more for the ratings than keeping Lucci, with due respect to the latter's well-deserved legendary status on the show.

August 12 2009 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

It would be ashame if Susan would All My Children she is one of the main reasons I watch the soap of all the soaps I have watched this is the only one I still watch, and as far as moving to the west coast thats just BULL it will be more expensive there than in New York

August 11 2009 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I*ve been watching AMC since my daughter was born back in 1975 and it will be a shame to let Susan leave the show.. afterall she is the one who really made it what it is..but in truth AMC has not been the same and has lost its charm and excitment over the years.. We are so glad that they brought back Jesse Hubbard who was a great character.but the luster of the show is declining.. and to take off One Life to Live would be horrible.. That show has really taken a great turn and is worth saving.. The story lines are great so please dont diss them anymore because they deserve to be kept on for a long long time..

August 11 2009 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Linda's comment
curryjulie

I agree. even though , i just switched from being a cbs soap fan for over 30 years . i just started about six months ago with abc. and i am loving it....susan lucci don't leave. but if you do best of luck...

September 30 2009 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Nunez

Plus it'll give her a chance to make her character bigger and better than ever. Also her character can also pass to be in a Disney family comedy. She should do movies for Disney since she's still has a contract with ABC, and the Disney family.

August 11 2009 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Nunez

Here's what I feel. Since Susan Lucci is a true New Yorker, if she wants, she can move her character to One Life To Live. This way she can still stay with ABC, and also do some projects with the Disney Channel as well.

August 11 2009 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coffeesky

Re: James Mitchell...He hasn't been seen for a long while because he is in bad health and prefers to live in California.

August 06 2009 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

It's well known that ABC wants to eliminate one of their soaps, preferably One Life to Live, which has always been the stepchild of the ABC daytime line-up, and of creator Agnes Nixon, who only developed OLTL in order to pave the way to do her "dream" show, All My Children.

The terrible joke is: If an ABC soap is to be cancelled, it should be All My Children. Over the past decade, AMC has almost completely lost it's way. The breaking point came a few years ago when they forced Julia Barr (Brooke) off. Since the mid-70's, Brooke had been the second-major female character behind Erica Kane, and was the closest thing AMC had to a true heroine. And when Julia Barr left, Cady McClain (Dixie) dared to criticize the TPTB on her blog, which led to her being booted off AMC. AMC hasn't been the same since.

August 06 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to C C's comment
deebopalula

With the added insult of Dixie being "booted off" via death by poisoned banana pancakes. Talk about adding salt to the wound......

August 06 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

Not sure I want to see some of these soap stars in HD. Scary!

So are they still going to be "in" Pine Valley? Or would Erica be moving her show out west? That would explain why some characters would make the move and others would not. I always liked the cross-over storylines between Pine Valley and Llanview. Guess that won't happen anymore.....

August 06 2009 at 7:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to deebopalula's comment
Ðan

maybe now it will be crossover storylines between Pine Valley and Port Charles perhaps LOL

August 06 2009 at 7:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

I guess I don't understand why the network would want to do this. Even with New York no longer offering film tax credits isn't Los Angels far more expensive than New York?

August 05 2009 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jimmy_MO's comment
gooby

From what I've heard, AMC never has had permanent sets built in NY and in LA they can build permanent sets so it'll be less expensive. Union contractors to tear the sets down and build them again... expensive.

And do we really know if Lucci will be making the move to LA? I mean, hello, Deidra Hall & Days anyone?! Just sayin'.

August 06 2009 at 4:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dac

Susan has been terrific all these years, but it is time for her to let go of her 39 year old bread & butter gig. She is out dated and so is her character, Erica. At her age, she should bow out graciously and realize it is time for a new chapter at home in New York. This is the shows way of hopefully eliminating her and embrace new talent and lower at a lower cost and put to rest her tired character!

August 11 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply