April 21, 2014

I defy you to find a better commercial: Snuggie for Dogs

by Kona Gallagher, posted Aug 5th 2009 11:02AM
snuggie for dogsSnuggie. For. Dogs. I really feel like anything I write after that is just superfluous. So, yes, everybody has written about the Snuggie, ha ha ha. America is fat and lazy and will soon be taken over by the far more efficient Chinese.

But these are all known facts. Ever since Ronald Reagan declared ketchup as a vegetable, the cat's kind of been out of the bag on the whole "America is fat" tip. So when I saw the ad for the Snuggie, my reaction was simply, "meh." Actually, that's a lie. My reaction was, "Dude. That's awesome. Blankets 24/7!" But after I sobered up, it went back to, "meh."

So the whole Snuggie thing basically became white noise to me -- until tonight. Because that is when I saw the commercial for Snuggie for Dogs. It has all the elements that make an "As seen on TV" commercial great, including the gut-wrenching "before" scenes that make you wonder how you've gone through your life without having this product.

In fact, there are so many amazing parts of this commercial, that I'm having a hard time picking my favorite. Is it the shot of the dog owner wrestling a too-tight sweater over the tiny dog's head? Is it the sleepy dog having the first decent nap she's ever had in her life, since her owner finally stopped being a total asshole and bought her a Snuggie? Is it the kindly old lady knitting while her dog sits next to her on the couch wearing a matching Snuggie? All of these are great, but I have to say my absolute favorite part is when the dog totally loses its shit because its owner is making it wear something other than a Snuggie.

All I know is that this is the most captivating minute of television I've seen in a very long time.

wulfn1

still better than the dumb lollipop Dell.

August 05 2009 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sammy97

This is surely the best commercial on tv right now! Dogs are now part of the cult :

August 05 2009 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saya

I saw this and had to laugh, because last year at Christmas, my dog was acting cold at my parents house (even though it really was not cold at all) - Anyway I am not the type to have dogs wear clothing so I had nothing for her - so my mother ends up clipping a kitchen towel around the dog's neck so she could wear it as a cape... It was hilarious - but it worked - but all I could think of with this commercial is - there ARE times when this could be a good thing because its not giving into buying the dog clothing at least (though thats what we ended up doing - my dog now has a red sweater that I put on her when she acts cold... but ONLY when she's cold!)

August 05 2009 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chrysee

My god, what will they think of next

August 05 2009 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Kona - This commercial is the most adorable thing I've seen in quite some time. I'm thinking about getting a dog, just so I can buy it a Snuggie.

August 04 2009 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply