October 24, 2014

I hate Dell's lollipops!

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 5th 2009 5:02PM
lollipopsInspired by Bob's recent post, I thought I'd share a commercial I can't stand that's all over the dial right now. The Dell "Lollipop" computer.

I don't think Dell had in mind that people like me would find its new Inspiron laptops commercial like nails on a chalkboard. However, every time I hear that pop followed by the singing laborers crooning a version of the 1958 Chordettes hit "Lollipop," I'm compelled to grab the remote and change the channel.

If you don't already know this ubiquitous ad, take a look -- but be warned, it's annoying as hell:

Chances are that Dell is thrilled with my response, because it means I'm remembering the ad. However, if you think color is enough to make me buy a mini-PC, forget it. Still, there are many, many people who will nonetheless. I seem to recall Apple making a mint when they issued iPods in a variety of colors.

djshawn

I'm sure my rant means nothing to the morons who created this GAY commercial!.. But personly, when ANY comercial is aired 5-10 times an hour on just about every channel It makes my skin crawl!.. I used to be a Dell fan (expecially for their laptops) but now since this (OVERRUN) commercial I will NEVER buy a Dell LT ever!.. I seriously considering NEVER watching 'LIVE TV' ever again since comercials these days are going to EXTREAMS!! Makes me wanna throw a brick threw my nice LCD HDTV's!!! I've broken many Logitec all in one remotes over this and other comercials like it, and just just plain sick of all these overrun mind warping TV add's!

Why can't DELL and ALL advertisers tone things down a bit these days instead of pissing people off by overrunning the same CRAP 5-10 times an hour on every channel just becuase they can!.. It's really sad companies have to resort to mental brain washing to sell products!..

August 21 2009 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to djshawn's comment
I Hate Dell

I hear you, man! That's the problem, these ad's aren't informative, at all. Just nauseating, repetitve, bull-crap. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

They may be cute, the 1st time, but there's a limit.

Next they make an ad, they need to sit someone in a room for 4 hours, and play the spot every 5 minutes, and see if the person tries to kill themselves. If they don't, you have a winner. If they do, fire your marketing morons, for ineptitude.

I mean, how long has this commercial been airing? Since, May, or June? Just for a shiny, colored laptop? Are you freaking kidding me? We get it already!

JohnatDell, for the love of all thats holy, and sane, get someone to axe this sh!t! Please!

August 21 2009 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Koi

There's a reason "Dell" rhymes with "Hell".

I absolutely hate this commercial. It's on at LEAST once per commercial break on every channel. I always have to mute it or something.

Yes Dell, I remember this commercial, but it's pissed me off to the point of deciding NEVER to buy a Dell product!

August 13 2009 at 3:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
I Hate Dell

I despise this commercial! I, too, reach for the remote in a HURRY when I hear this thing come on. I tried just changing the channel, all together(forgoing the show I was watching, in vain protest), but since it's on pretty much every channel.... You're marketing dept. was successful in getting me to remember the spot, all right. But, it's also caused me to not, EVER, consider purchasing a Dell. The above poster was correct, it's like finger nails on a chalk board. Please never advertise again!

August 11 2009 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to I Hate Dell's comment
Ryan also hates Dell.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm glad I'm not the only one who loathes this piece of garbage.

August 13 2009 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CatStone

Well good grief! Has no one else noticed how much the blobs of color look like the fake poo you can buy from the magic/joke shop? Even if I cared NOTHING for functionality and only wanted the bling, I surely would NEVER buy a laptop that started as poo!

August 07 2009 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sioux

I hated this commerical from the first view. My family knows enough to hit "mute" the moment it comes on. We rush to be the first to chant "Oh, hell! It's Dell!"

August 06 2009 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Apparently Dell laptops are made of colored goo.

August 06 2009 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

I love the song and the commercial. It is one of the few I actually remember.

August 06 2009 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mb's comment
wulfn1

As if you could actually forget it.((shudder))
Actually there are two versions of the commercial out there now. one where they actually sing a verse of the song instead of just the chorus (not nearly as annoying as the other but still highly agitating) and one where they sing only the chorus and hum the rest, jumping back into the chorus when its time for the chorus again.
Either way, annoying. But the commercial isn't just annoying because of the song. The unrealistic dancing overall wearing employees singing is hokey,and the various "ways" in which they suggest the device is colored is something I'd expect to see on one of my 3yo grandbaby's tv shows (which leads me to believe Dell is trying to market to the pre-school set).
The whole concept of the "lollipop" colors is not offensive in any way, in fact when the device is wrapped in cellophane in the end they solidify their catchy label in one's mind. (it's wrapped like candy).

August 06 2009 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I'm really enjoying this spot, but then, the song's never annoyed me even though it does get stuck in my head.

The T-Mobile spot with the teenager trying to hit on Catherine Zeta-Jones is starting to wear on me, though.

August 05 2009 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RobynM's comment
Nathaniel

I have to agree, Robyn! I love this spot. But one of my least favorite commercial series on TV are the "guy is totally distracted by hot chick" T-Mobile commercials. The kid one AND the husband one. Man, those are annoying.

August 06 2009 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I love the song and I love the idea of customized colors. However, the catchy tune and eye-catching colors re-tooled through marketing aren't enough to convince me to purchase Dell when I contemplate their poor customer service and products -

August 05 2009 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

When I first heard the commerical I wasn't connecting it with Dell, but after I finally paid attention, I thought it was clever how they were promoting different colors. I only wish the Dells we ordered for work were wrapped like a giant lollipop or at least came with one. Side note here, there was one vendor whom we used to do business that always gave us a giant lollipop with every order. Had nothing to do with their business, but they always supplied one. I really miss that. We all used to take turns taking one home to our families.

Anyway, like the KFC ad brought up a week or so ago, whether or not you like the ad, it succeeded in getting people to remember it.

August 05 2009 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply