July 29, 2014

Nickelodeon changes logo, continues to kill my childhood

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 5th 2009 10:02AM
nickelodeon logoAre you weeping, children of the late-80s and early-90s? As you may have heard, Nickelodeon is getting a new logo. Understandably, they're going for something that can be incorporated into their infinite number of other properties, but the removal of that classic splatter is certainly the end of an era. Take a look at some of the new ways they'll be using the updated logo.

The slime splatter was the perfect embodiment of what Nickelodeon was all about in its heyday. Good, clean-but-not-really-clean fun. Not that it was a particularly poignant gesture in the first place, but does it even mean anything anymore when celebrities get slimed? Apart from the fact it means 'tweens get to see the Jonas Brothers with kind of, sort of wet shirts? Childish gross-out humor isn't enough to get the kids going today, apparently. Gak isn't fooling anyone.

Compared to a lot of other shiny network logos, Nickelodeon's has held up surprisingly well all this time. Believe it or not, Nick is turning 30 and it's still wearing that typeface beautifully. At least the classic orange color has remained. This is possibly because the nostalgia-hands of the 20-somethings that grew up with Nickelodeon have a death grip on it.

I guess this really means I'm a grown-up. I mean ... adult. This is worse than when I realized people have stopped asking me, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and just expect me to get stuff done.

Han Solo

Does it really matter what their logo is?

They should just rename the channel to "Bad Reality TV Network #245"

August 05 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Han Solo's comment
GerryofNorVA

Exactly! They and the Cartoon Network have totally forsaken their Prime Directives.

August 05 2009 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

Nickelodeon currently has zero reality shows and I can't even remember a time when they ever had a reality show. They've had gameshows in the past, but very few recently. The N has had two short lived reality shows from what I can rememebr.

August 06 2009 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bridgemo

Survey over in kansas city shows that most people like the splat.....

I think the few votes for the new design are folks who just want to be contrary or are too grown up for their own good (just like the exes who want to get rid of the splat)

What changes will be next? Will the Krusty Krab have to shut down because it raises blood pressure and become a salad bar?

Will Timmy Turner be taken away by child services because his parents are neglectful by allowing him to run around town with colorful squirrels (that could be rabid)?

Will iCarly stop random dancing and start to have round table discussions on the universal health care?

August 05 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

You know, the new one isn't even a logo. It's just the word Nickelodeon. I like that there was a real image that went along with the splat, like NBC's peacock and CBS' eye. Something you can identify with. The new logo/word is just boring.

August 05 2009 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to PB's comment
Jimmy

The Letter i, which seems to be a balloon being blown up, seems so phalic...

August 05 2009 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply