Fox execs: Katy Perry, Victoria Beckham will be Idol guest judges - TCA Report

by Joel Keller, posted Aug 6th 2009 1:39PM
Simon CowellAs you might expect, most of the questions for Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly and chairman Peter Rice this morning were Idol -centric. Here are the salient points:

According to Rice, Paula Abdul was the only member of Idol whose contract was up. They were talking to her about it for months, and they very much wanted her to return. In past few weeks, "negotiations came to conclusion, as Rice put it. "We made a fair offer with a substantial raise. Paula decided not to return. It was not our choice. We wanted her to return to the show."

They are most likely looking to keep the number of judges at four, but Rice feels they have between now and January's live shows to find a judge. "We're looking to bring different element and energy to the season." There will be guest judges during the audition process, including Victoria Beckham and Katy Perry. Rice and Reilly wouldn't announce who else, but they said that these would be mostly female singers, artists, and performers.

More from the exec session coming up.

mel

victoria beckham sucks, and god, she cannot sing, why put that loser on there....seriously.

August 07 2009 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEVE

Yes - She's the heart of the show, it won't be the same without her.

64%(1,089)
No - This has been a long time coming and the show must go on!

36%(617)

LOOK AT THE POLLS AS AI IS GONNA HIT THE POOPER AND THEY ASKED FOR IT.... SAYING ADIOS TO AI
DOES ANYONE AGREE THAT THEY SHOULD SHOW SOME REPSECT AS SOMEONE STATED TO THE FANS AND TO PAULA? SHE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY SHE ASKED FOR.
HEY SIMON COUGH SOME UP WITH RYAN..

August 07 2009 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ronitchie

Apparently, you didn't want her to return!That is obvious because you failed to surrender ,what that so called fair offer was!You can pay 15 to a gazillian to the others!I don't blame her for leaving ,& I still won't watch!!!

August 07 2009 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sher

Paula is interesting done watching....jumped the shark

August 07 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corymia

I like paula. I think she is needed since the other judges can be quite brutal and at the end of the day, most of these are kids that have to endure the harsh criticism.

I think Karla is a waste of space. I can't believe they brought her back. Of course when I saw they did that I knew Paula's days were numbered. At the end of the day, Paula should have taken the offer. She's not going to find another gig like this one. She was a major has-been before AI and I think she's forgotten that. Oh well.

August 07 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toni

I agree with everyone,Fox has made a couple of big mistakes,first they should have gotten rid of Cara and then they should have stood on their heads to give Paula what she wanted,RESPECT,big mistake Fox Big mistake...
American Idol will never be the same....And you will tank because,Paula was the funny person and her interaction with Simon will never be replacated..Bye Bye Idol...

August 07 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rlnyny

Another show down the tubes. Of the four people left I can't stand Ryass...total waste of money....Hate Kara...no chemistry. Tiring of Hey Dawg Randy... Simon is Simon... great. No Paula No show. All the chenistry will be gone. Do not want to see people like Becham on every week. .So Bye Bye Idol.

August 07 2009 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lani from Pittsburgh

VICTORIA BECKHAM? No.. that's where I draw my line. I have been an avid fan of AI since it has been on the air. Adam made the show watchable last year with Kara on there, but with no Paula or Adam?.. and with Kara and Victoria Beckham? Oh Dear God.. I cringe at the very thought of it. Not a chance I'd be tuning in this year.

August 07 2009 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEVE

The show did make a tons of money, now lets see how much cha ching they will make without PAULA. i remember ryan saying the most votes ever, now lets see how there voting goes.. people that continue to watch and vote, not to worry abt phone lines being busy, u will have np...AI SCREWED THEMSELVES WITHOUT BRINGING PAULA BACK.
and as someone stated, they did not even consider the fans... what a shame and to think i voted from day one.
will not waste my time watching kara as she could never fill PAULAS shoes. I was happy to see just the 3 judges then they bring on KARA, what did they think as since day 1, kara got the worst ratings, now watch and see how the ratings will be and all thos booooooo's.
shame on you AI, shame on u simon and shame on u ryan, as ryan once said with all the money simon has he does not know the real world, so simon with all your strength to this show BRING PAULA BACK.
I HAVE BEEN TO THE ai chat room when this came out about paula and all are not only in shock but the room will poof soon as u just do not break up a family and PAULA was family not only to AI but to many of us in our home, work-places and etc...
and the polls show in numerous numbers how many feel abt losing PAULA.. FOX BETTER WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.
NO LONGER A FAN, AS NO RESPECT TO THE FANS AND PAULA...

August 07 2009 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SANDY

I THINK MARIE OSMOND WOULD BE A DELIGHT! A SINGING BACKGROUND PERSON? MUST WE LOOK FOR A BRIT TO FILL A SPOT?

August 07 2009 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply