October 21, 2014

Is Enterprise really the worst sci-fi spinoff of all-time?

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 6th 2009 6:01PM
Enterprise

Name a Star Trek show a "worst" anything and you're bound to get some feedback.

Topless Robot names the 9 worst sci-fi spinoffs of all-time, and number one on their list? Enterprise, the Scott Bakula Star Trek series that aired for four seasons. Is that accurate, considering other shows on the list include Baywatch Nights, V, and Ewoks?

Old Knudsen

Anything Star Trek after TNG was crap and a lot of TNG was also.

I'm a Kirk man and was all set to hate the Abrams' film but no it was good.
As a spin off Enterprise beats Voyager and many original series out there. Its a tired formula and now Kirk needs to be a cross between the original Kirk and Jason Bourne.

August 12 2009 at 7:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DrMugatu

If Enterprise has used the theme music from "In A Mirror, Darkly" it would have worked way better ....

Make that - if Enterprise had done its entire run as Star Trek in the mirror universe - THAT would have worked way better. Best opening montage ever.

August 10 2009 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Astin

Voyager was consistently worse than Enterprise. Enterprise seasons 1 & 2 were far from good (although there were moments), but when B&B were finally distanced from the show and Coto was put in charge, it improved in leaps and bounds. Season 3 was well compartmentalized, and season 4 went a long way to fixing what had been destroyed in the earlier seasons. It especially succeeded when giving the Vulcans a history that involved humans quite significantly. Unfortunately, they let Berman and Braga do the series finale, possibly the worst piece of Trek ever done. Absolutely terrible.

Voyager, however, was consistently bad. There was no growth in the characters or their relationships. You could have transplanted the crew from the 3rd episode to the last, with the obvious inclusion of Seven, and it wouldn't have made a difference.

August 10 2009 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beetlescott

I'm sorry, in my previous post, I said "all five seasons" when I meant to say that I purchased all five series.

August 09 2009 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beetlescott

Sadly, I missed Enterprise in it's first run. I didn't even turn it on until 2007, and I fell head over heels in love with it! It is now my second favorite Series in the franchise! The original Trek didn't last but 3 seasons, and Enterprise had a much much larger viewing audience. I am 53 years old, and have been a passionate Trekkie since I was 10. For about 15 years of my life, I was busy with kids, job and life. My wife bought me TOS on DVD in early 2007 and the fire came back. I purchased all 5 seasons and began a marathon that is still going on! I have watched all the series twice, every episode of every season, (over 800 epis) and I must say, Enterprise, in my opinion, is my second favorite, just behind Voyager. Thanks for letting me sound off!

August 09 2009 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wizo

DS9 was not only the best trek franchise ever, providing terrific acting from by far the best trek cast ever, but let us fans discover the most talented sci-fi writer of the last decade: R.D. Moore. The four seasons of battlestar galactica are there to prove me right, and about Enterprise, well from a trekkie point of view, it was awful, screwed up all the trek universe continuity, philosophy, and provided some of the lamest and most annoying carachters ever. Janeway was a decent Trek captain all along the seven seasons, Archer proved himself only a narrow minded military and the whole parallel 9/11-xindi arc was the exact opposite to how trek always treated social and political issues PERIOD

August 08 2009 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Original Trek was about a ship where everyone in the crew was the best there was at their job. Next Generation was about an average crew, with half the problems they had to solve self inflicted. Deep Space 9 was about Starfleet graduates who weren't good enough to get posted to a ship. Voyager was half crewed by people not good enough to get into Starfleet. Enterprize was back to the cream of the crop. Yes, the opening music sucked, but this was the 2nd best series after the original

August 07 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David S

Season Three of Enterprise was one of the best seasons of any Trek series.

The rest... not so much, but still outclassed Voyager if taken as a whole.

August 07 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

You said it! "It was certainly not the worst sci-fi spinoff, but it was the worst Trek series, if for no other reason, for the horrible, horrible theme "song." After a series of marvelous, classic instrumental themes (yes, Courage's theme for TOS had words, but they had the good sense not to use them in the final product), I thought my eardrums would bleed when I first heard that piece of crap. Thereafter, the "mute" button went immediately into action when the credits began."

I don't understand why that SO-NOT-STAR-TREK theme song made such a difference to me, but it just plain did! That very first episode set a tone of disappointment that just carried right through.

Scott Bakula is a nice guy and a decent actor; but he just didn't have that "it factor", that charisma, to carry the show. Some of the supporting actors got much better over time, but they spent the first season as cardboard cut-outs droning wooden dialogue, and by the time they finally found their groove, it was just too little, too late.

I was so heartbroken when that damn series started - the premise had sounded so promising, and having a Trek show back on the air was so exciting, and then....meh.

It was like getting socks for Christmas.

August 07 2009 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

The problem with Enterprise is that it was Berman-Trek at its worst. Berman-Trek peaked during TNG, DS9 & First Contact and then he phoned it in with V'ger and E and the rest of the TNG movies. The same dull music, dull bland stories etc...is blah, blah, blah - and this was proven by declining ratings and shrinking box office for the movies. I thought Trek was dead forever until J.J. came to the rescue. People aren't talking much about New-Trek because it only has 2 hours out of the 750 hours of Trek that we've had to-date. It's only a blip on the radar right now but come back in 40 years to see if J.J. Trek has jump started the franchise.

August 07 2009 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply