October 25, 2014

Good news, bad news for CBS soaps

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 7th 2009 9:02AM
as_the_world_turns_50th_anniversary_cast

There's good news and bad news on the CBS soap opera front. The good news is that The Young & the Restless has been renewed for two years. The bad news is that As the World Turns could be axed just like Guiding Light.

The Young & the Restless is CBS daytime's top rated soap. It's been number one in the Nielsens for nearly 20 years running. So the renewal wasn't a big surprise. However, the pick-up came with a warning to cut costs, tighten the budget and, basically, don't expect the stars to get big raises anytime soon. In the past year alone, two of the veterans -- Melody Thomas Scott and Jess Walton -- opted to take less money when the show threatened to write them out or recast. Welcome to the brave new world of daytime!

The situation is more dire at As the World Turns. At the CBS media day in L.A., president Nina Tassler was cautious about the future of the last remaining Procter & Gamble soap opera. When asked if ATWT was in a better position than Guiding Light, Tassler said, "It is hard to say. It is one of those things where you watch and you talk. All of daytime is a challenged daypart."

"Challenged dayparts" is a euphemistic way to say that the networks are looking for ways to continue programming in daytime only if it makes money. If turning the time over to local stations is more cost-effective than creating soaps or game shows or whatever, the nets will do it, and we'll be seeing more and more syndicated fare.

I'm a longtime soap fan, so it pains me to see shows like Guiding Light canceled, and now ATWT is on the ropes. Unfortunately, the TV landscape that once made soaps great afternoon entertainment no longer exists. There's too much choice and too much competition for viewers. The networks can squeeze the budgets and downplay the stars, but by doing so, the soaps are changing. Unless someone can figure out a way to reinvent the genre, daytime dramas as we know them are fading away.

vera

Couldn't agree more!! B&B is the worst thing ever. If they're going to get rid of anything PLEASE make it that show.

October 26 2009 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rita DeLuca

I have been as well as my friends and family a daily viewer of the Y/R from the begining. But the story line of Adam has really tested ones mentality He is partially blind, delivered a dead baby in a lock down facility, switched babies in a mental hosptal and continues to show up everywhere Ashley is with no driver. Come on don't really go any further with this messed up story line. It just does not fit the quality of the Y/R that has kept its viewers happy for over 35 years

October 05 2009 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

I watch very little TV as it is but I grew up watching GL with my mom who watched it until she died in 2003. I have home daycare and enjoy watching it while kids are napping and I'm feeding/rocking babies. I'm not going to watch some stupid game show or reality show in it's place. CBS you lost me now for good! B & B is the worst soap I've ever seen. I can't believe you would continue showing that over GL! The GL folks have been like family to me for 40+ years. GL going off the air is like losing another part of my mom all over again. Guess there's nothing anyone can say or do at this point but you need to hear from all of us that this is a huge mistake for CBS ratings that are already struggling for obvious reasons!

September 11 2009 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oceanwaves1323

I'd much rather watch the soaps than these idiotic reality shows that they are forcing down our throats. Survivor is a piece of crap. Who gives a crap if Jon and Kate stay together or split up? We need another game show like we need a hole in the head. Leave the soaps alone. Just because more women are working during the day than in the 50's and early 60's doesn't mean anything. After all, there are DVR, VCR, and TIVO.

September 08 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

I hope Nicki isn't really dead and that she comes back to the show. But I think Phillis is the prize winner of this show and Sharon has to be one of the worst. I know you have had Phillis play the bad girl but I hope you don't do that again. Sharon has been pretty bad but you always come back trying to have people feel sorry for her. I actually think that Phillis deserves better than Nick, but you don't have anyone on the show I would like to see her with.

September 07 2009 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrice

Cancel ATWT and I am done with CBS.It's the only show I pretty much bother with.(I have a life besides T.V)What a dumb idea.REALLY!!!!What are you thinking???????I would
be a better programer to consider.Fire the one you have and I will consider helping you out!!

August 21 2009 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trudy

I am 52 and have been a huge fan of ATWT my whole life, either recording it or now, anytime on my computer which is awesome. My German immigrant mother would arrange her housework so that she could work while watching and she always proclaimed that ATWT & GL helped her learn English. Look how many superstars like Meg Ryan and Kevin Bacon got their start in soaps. Soaps have an impact on us! Maybe they need to look into better target marketing and their sponsors for more money before canning such an icon. We are no longer just 'common housewives' who are watching. We work, are professionals and have busy lives that enjoy taking a break with the lives on our favorite shows. Ask the viewers how many products they buy as a result of advertising during the soaps. Please don't take away a staple of our lives - kinda like taking American Cheese off the grocery shelf. At least ATWT deals with more up to date issues and everyday real life, unlike B&B where everything is sexually orientated - where Brooke marries the son of her ex-husband and her sister marries that ex-husband and her daughter marries (several times) Brooke's other ex-husband who also had a gig with Brooke's third sister..........that's just all too gross. I tried to follow it but no longer interested. PLEASE KEEP ATWT!

August 18 2009 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Flo

Been watching ATWT since it first day, if they go it is because of bad writers. Holden is not dead, Lily will have an afair with Damian and Holden will come back. They dug up Stenbeck again. What can excellent actors do with this junk.

August 17 2009 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
margewca

I am really sorry to see the Guiding Light being cancelled. I started watching it when Reva found out she had breast cancer. I had just finished treatment so I could relate to her. My favorite show is ATWT. I have been watching it (when I could) since the second year. I can hardly believe GL is being replaced with another game show!! I am absolutely sick of so many game shows and reality shows! I am just going to turn the TV off and have either music or silence. I know CBS couldn't care less...

August 14 2009 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie

I think cancelling the Guiding light sucks!!! Its a really bad move I think if we all stick together and boycot CBS for taking away the GL the will change their minds who's with me??????? Let's start now when they turn the show off on the 18th of Sept we turn of CBS what's your thoughts.....anyone

August 14 2009 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply