September 2, 2014

Is Susan Lucci quitting All My Children?

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 8th 2009 7:02PM
susan_lucci_abc_All_my_childrenFirst, Paula Abdul walks away from American Idol (or was she shoved out by the producers a bit?), now comes news that Susan Lucci's not sure about sticking with All My Children when the ABC soap relocates to Los Angeles in December. My thought was there's no way La Lucci was going to pass on the chance to keep on working, but she's saying it's a tough decision. "I don't know ... I love the show and I love playing Erica, but I'm just now going to have a couple of days off. It's a lot to think about."

Could Susan truly be thinking anything but, "Yes, I'm going"? Seriously, All My Children has been her mainstay for 39 years. That's right, nearly four decades of continuous employment in essentially a starring role.

Even at the height of her popularity, when she won the Emmy -- after 18 tries -- and was snagging TV movies and commercials (her Sweet One was a classic), Lucci stuck with AMC. She had offers for prime time, but she never spread her wings and flew away from the nest. With the nest moving to L.A., would Susan really let them go without her? I think not.

Therefore, what does she mean when she says, "It's overwhelming. I'm a New Yorker. My family is here. I love this city. So I have a lot to think about"? Perhaps it's a ploy to extract a new contract from the producers, or bargain for certain perks like travel expenses for trips home to Scarsdale or other niceties. She wouldn't be the first star to finagle for more.

My advice to Susan, for what it's worth: be careful. This relocation by AMC, which she's viewing as a sign of faith by the network in the soap, could be a way of downsizing the production cost which includes lopping off high-priced talent that may be past their prime.

If that sounds like Lucci, well yes, that's because it's true. Remember, her character -- Erica Kane -- isn't getting any younger, although her leading men have been. Still, she's not the center of attention anymore. Also, in just the last year alone, other divas of her ilk have been rudely treated in soapland. Deidre Hall was pink-slipped from Days of Our Lives, The Young & the Restless played hard ball with Melody Thomas Scott and Jess Walton and won. Even Robin Strasser was demeaned by One Life to Live into taking a huge pay cut.

Karin Murray

I cannot believe after 39 years they are moving to CA. What a HUGH mistake. I have been watching AMC since the onset in 1970. How can CA be cheaper than NY? Did they ever think of FL to shoot the show? At least it is in the same time zone. ZACK CAN'T LEAVE THE SHOW!! And Taylor and Aiden, that's just wrong. Well all I can say is what a MAJOR disappointment!!!!!

October 06 2009 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Di

Lets give Erica a break. For those of us that have grown up with her, I give her the credit she deserves. That is her part. In real life she is as sweet, gentle and compassionate as anyone I know. When people say All My Children...who do you think of first?? Erica!!!!
I pray she hangs in therr...we have choices. If you don't like her, don't watch. But lets start to be kind and realize life is short and we all do the best we can.

October 05 2009 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FE

Susan Lucci and Ryan together looks dreadful. Get rid of Susan Lucci. On the other note, Tad and Opal should go especially Krystal.

October 05 2009 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FE

Susan Lucci and Ryan together looks dreadful. Get rid of Susan Lucci. On the other note, Opal and Tad should be out too especially KRYSTAL.

October 05 2009 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
neice

get rid of erica and the show will probably, go off air since zach is leaving, such a fantasy show but we all like it, its been in homes for many years, I just dont think it will survive with all the change, I dont know if they could recast zach or not it would be hard. i couldnt blame lucci if she left, moving it all to LA from NY are they gonna pay her costs, and travel etc, she has enough $ to retire. I dont see savings here I see a show in time calling it quits.

October 05 2009 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skater Boy

In response to an earlier posting I forgot that AMC really seems to be a happy set of cast and crew. From all reports and even in the tabloids the younger stars really seem to get along with Lucci and vice versa. She and Cameron have worked together a lot off AMC and he really seems to genuinely like her even though she is old enough to be his "much older" sister. I note Susan has used Babe, Greenlee, Kendall and Bianca and even ex Maria (the actors) in some of her business ventures. Despite rumours or thought she could be a diva that doesn't appear to be the case (and is further backed up by her performances on Dancing with the Stars when people realized Susan Lucci is a pretty boring but nice and sweet person. She is NOT Erica Kane.

August 19 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skater Boy

Wow, this was a shocker in more ways than one. I recognize the daytime soap genre is in grave difficulties due to declining revenues and ratings. I also note that these "boards" tend to have some very opinionated individuals for whatever reason who really express their "passion" vocally. I am not sure why such harsh words have to be used when there are so many other words to use to describe someone negatively or their talent or appearnces. I hope it has nothing to do with a lack of sensitivity or education.

Part of me wonders why Susan never left when the going was good and she had so many opportunities. Even though she was a "day time" star in the 80's and 90's her moves were consistently in the top ten prime time with a few "just' in the top twenty. And oddly enough Susan was the star. Many thought she woudl be a great comedic actor and I would say the same today. I have heard nasty comments about her acting skills and her appearance. She is over 60 years old and I don't think too many people would be upset looking like her.

Before her acting career and businesses it seems she always thinks of her family first. Maybe that's why she is still married to her husband unlike so many broken relationships. Her contracts have often been influenced by her family - ensuring family vacations and being available for the first day of school and such. She has always been a very classy individual. Even on Dancing witht he Stars where she wasn't the best dancer she acted with class and dignity (and looked fabulous for anyone). It also became apparent that people "forget" she is Susan - a rather sweet and family oriented lady and not a character who is a "witch with a Captial B". Her loyalty to ABC represents a rarity in a business and world of "me first". Maybe she waited too long to get work in other genres or shows but she truly has been a class and refined act.

I would like to think over people (and I am a member of the new generation) 60 aren't totally useless and hope ABC can work something out with her. Plus, too many Susan Lucci or Erica Kane is the face of daytime. She brought the big daytime acting salaries.

Love her or hate her as a person, though I think some are mixing the character up with reality, Susan deserve her dues. She deserves happiness - still I can't help but think the face of daytime won't be the same without her and it might not be for the better.

Lucci probably knows that her commercial success (businesses) are dependent on her acting status. She may have to stay on AMC just for that. I admit Broadway, sitcoms or even some movie ofthe weeks would be great for her but I have little faith things will go her way with the economy and all. I do agree wouldn't she be great on Desperate Housewives, or some sitcom? Brothers and Sisters? OR guest starring on CSI, Nip and Tuck - whatever???

August 18 2009 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Lucci is an AMC icon, but the "flirtation" between her and Ryan is a little gross. Bringing back Greenlee/Rebecca B. would vastly improve the show, whether she reunites with Ryan or not. The show's simply run out of storylines for Erica, whereas Greenlee/Rebecca, my favorite character, has always been a feisty and fascinating addition, especially with Kendall so domesticated now to the point of being dull. I was tempted to stop watching after Greenlee's "death," but clearly David and maybe Aidan have been stashing her somewhere. Lucci has reached the end of the line with her character, whereas Rebecca's return opens endless possibilities -- an affair with Jake, Zach, or even Frankie could be lots of fun. (Please not Scott -- his goofy hair drives me nuts.) Greenlee was the show's most mercurial character, so who knows what path the writers could take her on? I am not as bugged by some by the notion of her reunion with Ryan, but that's certainly not the only option the writers would have. So long, Erica, if Lucci opts not to relocate, but once again, Greenlee's return would be a trade-off well worth it.

August 15 2009 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doris Clark

I'm with you Kat, AMC is never boring to me - I will watch it nomatter what. (smile)

August 13 2009 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjbdiver

I DO think her comments need to be taken at face value - She is a wife and Mom first, and then a working gal. Her family is THE most important thing in her life - and she has good reason for not wanting to majorly disrupt it. There are others on the cast that also have very strong family values - that why it is such a nice show to work on - everyone is REALLY nice, REALLY polite and friendly, and REALLY treats each other like family members that actually LIKE each other. There are going to be a LOT of tears on that sound stage come December - cast and crew alike....

August 13 2009 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply