October 23, 2014

Does Katherine Heigl need to get some perspective?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 10th 2009 9:02AM

Katherine Heigl whines about 17-hour day on Grey's AnatomyI realize that celebrities don't always have an easy time of it. They're hounded by photographers, work crazy hours, spend time away from their families while on location, and never know when their current gig might end through no fault of their own.

But, you know what? The rest of us don't have an easy time of it either. Sure, most of us don't have photographers hounding us at every turn, but we work crazy hours, spend time away from our families working, and never know when OUR current gigs might end through no fault of our own.

So it always drives me a little batty when celebrities whine about having to work long hours and such, like Katherine Heigl did on the Late Show with David Letterman and other talk shows -- especially since the aforementioned long day was the direct result of accommodating her schedule while promoting her new film The Ugly Truth.

For the record, she said, "It was -- I'm going to keep saying this because I hope it embarrasses them -- a 17-hour day, which I think is cruel and mean."

Cruel and mean? No, Katherine. Cruel and mean is what life is when the bank forecloses on your house after you lost your job because your company downsized.

She's probably ticked that T.R. Knight is gone, and maybe she blames the Grey's Anatomy folks for that. But, really, she wouldn't be so quick to whine about long hours if she was out here with the rest of us, eking out a living as best we can. And hey, at least SHE has a job, which is more than a lot of folks can say right now. I love you, Katherine, but wake up!

Nisha

You have said everything I have been thinking for months about Ms. Heigl's attitude when it comes to her job, her employers and her amazing luck...

August 25 2009 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

Well said, madam. She has definitely turned into a real diva. First she complained about lousy scripts, then she complained that she had to work really, really hard when they gave her good scripts and a great storyline. From what I understand about Hollywood, Katherine should realize that there are many more of her kind out there waiting to move in and take over. Tell her to retire if she is unhappy and get a real job with real problems and a real paycheck.

August 12 2009 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexa

I never liked her. I'm bummed TR Knight isn't returning to Grey's.

August 12 2009 at 2:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexa

I never liked her. I'm bummed TR Knight isn't returning to Grey's.

Online Travel Guide"

August 12 2009 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

KH (besides other things) is what is destroying what was once one of my favorite shows. The writers are bending over backwards to accommodate her, and this is the thanks they get.

Write another deer storyline for her Shondra! Please?!?

August 11 2009 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
valerie

Maybe should have included in her "joke" that she had a long
day so she could go out and promote that dreck of a movie
TUT. It cost them a lot and inconvenienced many other cast and staff members. Why do these KH fanatics and PR people
think they have a better take on her comment than S Rhimes
and McPherson?

August 11 2009 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
onecommentwonder

One thing is true: It is at these moments, when someone is backed up against a wall that you see their true colors.....their maturity....the professionality....and their ability to maintain grace under pressure. Unless Heigl was trying to soapbox for the entire industry and especially the Grey's crew (who were paid less and worked harder during those same 17 hours), she didn't showcase her "best work" on Letterman. Most of the people who work 17 hours days in this world would sell a kidney to have her type of 17 hour day!

To me this story is weeks old and stinks. Someone said, "the new season is just weeks away. Hey....this Heigl thing will put Grey's front and center in the media! Hey, it worked! The public is eating it up, and they are salivating for the return of Grey's!" Personally, I didn't even know she was returning to Grey's.....that her character didn't die off, and I can't wait to see the season premiere.

Heigl may have been in a very uncomfortable position during that 17 hour day. She had more pressure because of her other contractual obligations to promote her movie. This may be entirely her fault and the risk she took for doing that movie, but this wasn't her first time fitting a movie into her Grey's schedule. Unlike her previous movies, Grey's may have not supported their arrangement as well as in the past.

Oh well, all I know is this story worked, and has reminded me to check my DVR to make sure I still Grey's on there.

August 11 2009 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Yuck...she's a smoker. gross.

August 11 2009 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

"This chick has exactly two things going for her: amazing boobies." - And you have exactly two braincells because that makes up the whole of her fanbase anyway. And those "amazing boobies" are already sagging, so much for them being amazing.

August 10 2009 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

"I don't see this as any worse than when anyone else says it about their job." - Difference is, anyone else would get fired for it and you know it. "Does anyone work "non-stop" at their job, with no breaks, no downtime, no slow spells.. ?" - Yeah, as a matter of fact, they do. I take it you've never met a steel worker. And since you're obviously not paying attention to the economy, because it doesn't affect arrogant rich asses like you, you shouldn't be commenting either.

"And chipramsey - that's a really narrow-minded comment to make about her being "soap opera grade talent". The acting talent on soap operas nowadays is no better or WORSE than acting talent anywhere else. This isn't the '50's anymore." Yeah because you have room to talk, making sweeping generalizations about how much OTHERS do and don't work, even though you've never met a person that's worked an honest job in their life. The acting on soaps is HORRIBLE and the fact that you can't tell the difference proves that only stupid people follow this girl. Make a point because if it were the 50s, you wouldn't be alive and neither would Katherine so the world would be better off.

August 10 2009 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply