October 22, 2014

Entourage: Fore!

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Aug 10th 2009 9:31AM
Tom Brady, Mark Wahlberg, and Adrian Grenier
(S06E05) "No, we're up for it, but is this gonna be like the old days when you try to pay me back in personal training sessions and shit?" - Mark Wahlberg

Seems like the dynamic of Entourage is really shifting lately, huh? Over the past two or three episodes, Eric has moved to the head of the class, taking over the biggest parts of each half-hour. I'm not complaining, but earlier in the season I did wonder what the result of Vince's success would be. Now we know.

All that being said, I wouldn't be flattered if I were Eric. I'd be a little creeped out and thankfully, he seems to be. Boiling it down to the simplest of terms, Eric was right: Sloan seems to be molding him into the guy she always wished he would be. Granted, I agree that it's the guy we all know E could be, but still. Sloan's vast network of Hollywood acquaintances filling her in on all the details of Eric's life is borderline stalkerish. First the apartment and then the job offer. Plus, she knows about his female dalliances and the fact that he shut The Murphy Group down.

What's most annoying to me is that we can see where this is going. By the end of the season, Sloan, impressed with Eric's transformation (we know he's going to take the job with Murray [George Segal]), will come back to Eric, begging to be with him again. Eric, will in turn be faced with an Ashley v. Sloan dilemma and let's be honest - we know who wins there too. Hell, the ep wrapped with Eric calling Ashley Sloan on accident. It just seems like a lot of effort to get them back together when it's so obviously going to happen. Regardless, I'm still enjoying the ride and I can't wait to see Eric at his new job. This reminds me a lot of the time he almost took a job with Terrance. Granted, he is Sloan's father, but that interview came from her urging as well. Hmm...

A few more thoughts on "Fore!":

• Turtle falling in love with Tom Brady was priceless. I was still hoping we'd hear him tell Brady that he sucked balls though. Here's a question: I know Turtle has ranted before about his dislike for the Patriots and Brady, but which episode was it?
  • I don't understand why Ari just doesn't explain to his wife the advice that he gave to Andrew. It was good advice. Andrew is the one that twisted it to his own needs. Mrs. Ari is no fool. She'd believe her husband and a result, this feud between them feels a little forced.
  • Jeffrey Tambor is hilarious when he guests on Entourage. I loved how his kids were little F-bomb dropping duplicates of him too.

So what's next for everyone? Well, I hope Ari and Mrs. Ari just kiss 'n make up, but more than anything, I hope Vince gets a little more to do. It seemed as though earlier in the season that he was going to have this great personal renaissance as a result of his success and free time. So far, he's done even less. Actually... that sounds pretty good.

Entourage Research

Hi,

Currently we are performing research about the TV show Entourage for the University of Amsterdam. We would really appreciate it if you would like to take part on our survey. It will take less than 5 minutes of your time.

On every 20 respondents a DVD box of Entourage will be rewarded!

Please visit the site www.enjoyentourage.com to join our survey.

Thanks!

October 16 2009 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjh

This was the worst episode to date. Absolutely no rythm. Yes, I love that E is becoming the hero, but it's not moving fast enough, by far. @Jack: are you a failed manager or something? E is by far the most interesting character, not to mention the smartest guy in the room. Watch out exposing all your insecurities on the internet!

August 12 2009 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtb

i want to see drama and jamie-lynn kiss in this episode. i was a little disappointed that they didn't show clips from gatsby or five towns. This season drama kinda got shuffled in to the background.

August 11 2009 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Why does everyone love Eric so much? He's a stupid moron, he can't act, he has no idea what he's doing (the actor or the character), yet he continually falls into money and beautiful girls, just because Vince is his friend, though he takes all the credit for himself. This whole episode (as most other episodes) he just wanders around aimlessly with his standard response to almost every question, "I don't know." What an idiot. He should have been off after the first season. Actually he never should have been cast, he ruins the whole show.

August 11 2009 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cress d

I have been bored by this season, but the last two episodes have been pretty entertaing. Hopefully, Entorage is gettin g its groove back this season. And Ashley is ANNOYING! As well as the Sloan! Deep-six them both Doug Ellin!

August 11 2009 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

"Seems like the dynamic of Entourage is really shifting lately, huh? Over the past two or three episodes, Eric has moved to the head of the class, taking over the biggest parts of each half-hour."

Just remember who's name comes up first in the opening credits. And it's not Adrian Grenier.

August 10 2009 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jastrom

I enjoyed seeing Vince have some fear for his career at the end of last season and I was hoping that the critique that he could not act would be taken to heart where he would at least try to improve as an actor or something interesting. But again his character is happy to just hang out and do nothing, compelling television.

August 10 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkny

most boring episode of the series to date - I like the new upbeat direction but really this epsode was a platform for cameos

August 10 2009 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Well it is a different season. All the characters are in transition, growing up. Series seems to have lost its mojo, but it is still a must-watch show.

I'm actually liking Ashley. The actress playing her (Alexis Dziena) is super cute. I like that she is really honest to E, without trying to fix him. While Sloan (who I really like, too) is trying to fix him. I can relate.

P.S. The hazing of Lloyd is getting really old. Might be an Hollywood insider thing, since I'm sure this goes on all the time at CAA, WME, UTA, etc.

August 10 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tool's comment
Is that something you might be interested in ?

You are the first person I have read anywhere that likes or finds Ashley cute. I find her voice annoying, her character is just not engaging at all IMO. Her criticisms of CHarlie or the receptionist when she looks like she is a troll. Way too skinny and she has a big head for that skinny body.

The show is going to gain fans and lose fans on how they are going now. Some want to see the partying at Jessica Alba's house Vinnie "E did you ever think we would be here" type episode and others want to see the characters grow How much pot can turtle smoke and not feel like a complete loser as the least successful, if he does not go to school what do they do with him ? Vince is a mystery its like he does not even rate in some episodes, he needs some interesting episode to put him back at the fore front of the show. And I agree with the writer Ari could have easily explained I was bothered by the last episode ended with him holding the flowers, but now we are going another whole episode ? and the coming attractions for next week still have it going on. Love the show but just confused with some of the writing where they are going with some of the storylines. They got picked up for next year so will this year lead to E and Sloan getting together and next year be the last season with everyone going their separate way ? Not sure but they need the fun of season 2 back or Season 3 like the Vegas episode.

August 10 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unknownloser

Will we ever find out why Turtle is called Turtle?
Sloan has an annoying voice, similar to Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian. It's like she is talking to someone laying next to her in bed, or she is high. Is this how California women all talk now?

August 10 2009 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Unknownloser's comment
purpleslog

I don't remember why he is called Turtle, but he did tell the Sopranos chick last season.

August 10 2009 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Turtle was based on Mark Wahlberg's former real life assistant, that they called Donkey.

Donkey? Turtle? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_(Entourage)