December 21, 2014

Goode Family producers pledge to return

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Aug 10th 2009 2:01PM
ABC might have killed The Goode Family, but its producers say it will live again.Every time The Goode Family aired on ABC, it felt badly out of place -- right up until its cancellation. Now, its producers are hinting that the show will live again on another network.

ABC canceled Mike Judge's latest animated series last week. It was hardly a shock considering the network moved it around its schedule more than a Three Card Monte dealer shifts the Queen of Hearts. ABC looked for a place to bury the Goodes -- then they killed them.

But, on the show's Facebook page, show-runners John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky claim the show will return on a new network.

Their message to fans reads: "That was our first season. We will let all of you know as soon as we have our new network and time slot...This show has been the most creatively satisfying thing we have ever done and we look forward to continuing it."

A second life for Goode somewhere else would be justice as the show never had a chance at ABC. And it wouldn't fair much better on CBS or NBC either. The politically correct insecurity running through the classic big three doesn't allow for edgier animated comedy. When network execs and critics start hinting that it's not appropriate to mock climate change paranoia or extreme racial sensitivity in the "Age of Obama," the game is over before it even gets started. Apparently, dissent -- even good-natured, teasing dissent -- will not be tolerated.

Strangely enough, though The Goode Family was touted by many as "that conservative comedy that mocks hippies," its humor was even-handed and "equal opportunity." The guilt-marketing of a Whole Foods-style grocery store was countered by the mindless capitalism of a Wal-Mart clone. Radical environmentalists were taken down a peg alongside sexually repressed born-agains.

Here's hoping the Goodes find a new address on Fox, Adult Swim or any network that hasn't disappeared up its own backside.

Dan H

"And you'll find that a show filled with terrible, unredeemable people... well, it doesn't really last long in this market."

How do you explain Desperate Housewives lasting this long then? :)

I liked The Goode Family. They made jokes about things most television is afraid to make or simply refuses to make. I really hope it comes back.

September 10 2009 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel Davis

I kind of expected this to happen with this show. You want to know why King of the Hill succeeded? Because it was filled with likable (for the most part) characters who, though they made mistakes from time to time, were still good, honest people. This show, on the other hand, took "Twig Boy" from KOTH and gave him a spinoff. I couldn't find a single character that was remotely understandable on this show- from the dimwitted adopted son to the bratty teenage girl to the ludicrously dishonest nature of the wife, every single person on this show was just unbearably unpleasant. And you'll find that a show filled with terrible, unredeemable people... well, it doesn't really last long in this market.

August 25 2009 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

I really like this show. I found the "Big Board" at the organic/eco-conscious grocery particularly perceptive. A flickering, constantly shifting list of tragedies to wring hands by, and eco-stars to admire.....lists provided with no prioritization or supporting evidence, yet followed slavishly. They don't know who decides what's on the board, but hold it in the highest respect. I has become their god, and the grocery their church. Mike Judge has been robbed. Fox please do the man a solid - give him a voice.

August 24 2009 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joshed

I hope it lives on. This, American Dad, Futurama and The Simpsons are the best on TV. It's a shame King of the Hill was canned again.

August 11 2009 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
homer

"It was hardly a shock considering the network moved it around its schedule more than a Three Card Monte dealer shifts the Queen of Hearts." There was only one change of time slot, from Wednesdays at 9pm/8 to Fridays at 8:30pm/7:30, although occasionally two episodes aired on one night.

August 10 2009 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I didn't find anything overly political about the show, but that's because aside from the innate politics in who the Goodes are, they leave all politics out of it, and the rest is about the Goodes trying to accomplish something apolitical each week. I'd like to see the show more politicized, with a redneck neighbor with whom the Goodes always conflict. The "enemy" of the show shouldn't have to be the silly grandfather or the other family that tries to out-good the Goodes. But yes, any overt politics is bad for the corporate owner of the network, so it won't happen.

That being said, this show was out of place on ABC. I'd like to see it on Fox instead of The Cleveland Show - we just don't need that. Sorry. Family Guy has gone downhill in quality enough, and American Dad is the only decent, funny cartoon on TV right now. I don't want to see that show affected by a third Seth MacFarlane show. Surely other people can make adult cartoons than Seth MacFarlane - and Goode Family proves it. American Dad followed by Goode Family would be a great hour of TV.

August 10 2009 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Emma

Bruce,
Finally someone else who thinks American Dad is an amazing show! I totally agree with you, Family Guy has gone way down hill and, to add my two cents, the Simpsons is a show that belongs to another decade. I thought The Goode family was amazing, I laughed my ass off every episode, but I agree with John - "Apparently, dissent -- even good-natured, teasing dissent -- will not be tolerated" - this may well have had something to do with it.

I must admit I didn't mind the grandad either, in fact he often said what I was thinking, and I would consider myself a liberal.

August 11 2009 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thom

love koth, shame to see it getting cancelled for boring recycled television. took a few episodes to get into the goode family, though that's like every show, come the end I was loving it as much as king of the hill

August 10 2009 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

The first couple of episodes were too stereotypical, like early King of the Hill but with the politics reversed. As the run went on, the characters became a bit more complex and interesting, though it still felt like mirror KOTH: just as Hank learned that his red-state conservative values weren't always right, Gerald learned his blue-state liberal environmental principles didn't always hold up, either.

(The episodes with the starving forced-vegan dog were particularly cringeworthy.)

KOTH didn't hit its stride until season 2 or 3, though, and The Goode Family was getting there. I hope it gets more of a chance.

August 10 2009 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I watched this show, and I just couldn't get into it. And I'm one of those old hippies who has rain barrels, grows organic food, recycles, etc. There is something missing. The characters weren't that interesting.

August 10 2009 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snaik005

someone needs to pick up new episodes of KOTH.

August 10 2009 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply