August 28, 2014

Great news for Burn Notice

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 10th 2009 3:02PM
burn_notice_jeffrey_donovan

A lot of times, the news about ratings isn't good. Or not good enough, so shows that you care about have to hope for the kindness of TV executives to give that show more time to improve or find a new time slot or something ... just to survive. That's why it's such a pleasure that Burn Notice did great in the ratings for the summer season finale last Thursday. According to the numbers, 7.6 million total viewers were glued to the set, the most eyeballs for any scripted TV shows that night.

Building on the already strong viewership, Burn Notice delivered a superb episode for the finale, one that I've already raved about. What's always frustrating, though, is that in a similar way, I was also thrilled with the Chuck season finale last spring.

However, because of the way NBC operates -- as opposed to USA -- Chuck is treated like a second class show, barely renewed and relegated to sitting on the shelf till spring 2010. Is there really any TV fan who feels confident in the way the big three (and Fox) handle their scripted shows?

That's probably why I'm finding more stability -- and satisfaction -- in my cable TV viewing these days. Burn Notice has already been renewed for a fourth season, even before these big Nielsen numbers. Other off network shows like Royal Pains, In Plain Sight, Eureka and Army Wives, not to mention shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, are just better bets for television fans.

Preston

Good article, but did you have to show that picture exposing Jeffrey Donovan's bare feet and flip flops in your story for Burn Notice? Makes him look lazy or something with the Miami summer themed photo.

August 28 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snow66

I only watch scripted TV on cable these days. USA and TNT are heads and shoulders above most of the other cable-networks, quality wise. With ONE exception, that is - BBC America. "Primeval" got me hooked and "Torchwood" kept me coming back to BBCA. The new series "Being Human" has me hooked as well. Amazing writing and brilliant acting.

August 12 2009 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Agent Chuck

Well it is good news for Chuck fans that the guy running NBC used to run USA. Read this blog about what NBC might plan to do with Chuck.

Looks like Chuck might be NBC's Burn Notice. There is some talk of Chuck even getting a back 9 order. Gaspin is in Chuck's corner and it was his idea with the Subway intergration not Silverman's. So coming back in March 2010, while sucks for the fans could be the best thing for Chuck. We could be seeing Chuck in the summer and all 22 episodes without a break. :)

Also if they are going off renewals and the NBC fall shows tanks and Chuck comes back strong we could be seeing a season 4 of Chuck as well.

August 11 2009 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AMP

I fear for the future of Castle, actually. It's been renewed, thankfully. However, it's a show that would be a hit on TNT or USA. They'd plug it at 8 or 9, and probably pair it with something similar in tone, but since it's on ABC, it's orphaned at 10:00 as an afterthought. And let's not get started on Pushing Daisies or Firefly.

August 11 2009 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evie

oh, yeah. Law & Order: CI.

August 10 2009 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evie

and Damages, The Closer, and Rescue Me.

August 10 2009 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chet

The old "broadcast" networks are their own worst enemies. Their ongoing love affair with the "better returns" of cheap sitcoms and monkeys-on-display programming has seen them burn countless scripted hour-long shows with continuity...

...to the point that now even they recognize they've lost viewer trust. Tell me the second (and third) seasons of shows like Chuck, Terminator, and Dollhouse weren't at least partially motivated by a desire to win that trust back.

And yet they're still stuck in that old "TV season" thinking that pits most of their product against each other. Even with a DVR, there are only so many hours in a busy fall week that a person can watch TV... and because the shows are only broadcast once, there's fear that a DVR hiccup will leave us lost, piled on top of fear-of-cancellation and fear-of-having-a-life.

The "cable" guys get it -- shows premiere "out of season," run at least a couple of times a night, if not a few times through the week, and aren't burdened with unrealistic expectations.

August 10 2009 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

>scripted TV shows

What a sad freaking state we are in when we have to create a special category for 'scripted' shows because they are so damn rare these days.

August 10 2009 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Maybe this will encourage the writers/creator to punch up the scripts with more story and less moron-of-the-week-Equalizer episodes?

August 10 2009 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Honestly, I forget sometimes that NBC and USA are related. Talk about night and day...

I love just about every show on the USA Network. I never miss a Psych or a Burn Notice. Monk is great, and I absolutely adore the crossover tribute commercials (reminds me of when Psych was premiering and they crossed over Psych and Monk...also The Dead Zone in one commercial). In fact because of those commercials, I've recently started watching In Plain Sight and Law and Order: CI. The only reason I haven't watched Royal Pains is because I just don't want to get addicted to another show; however, I'm sure that will change in the future. I also got hooked on NCIS through them, and I'm starting to enjoy SVU as well.

My DVR lives at the USA network. I absolutely love them. Heck, if they ever needed a shill (which they sure don't at the moment), I'd happily provide them with one.

NBC is a different story. I have not watched an entire episode of anything on that channel in years. I think partly, because I feel like they take all the fun and humanity out of their channel.

USA, they really play with their characters and seem to care at least a little bit about the fans as well.

NBC, well, I haven't seen Chuck yet, but I feel bad about the lengths the fans had to go through to get their show renewed. It reminds me of when Farscape was canceled.

Not a fun feeling to have when watching the network :(

August 10 2009 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melissa's comment
Agent Chuck

You should Check Chuck out. You can see the first season online at the WB and starting Aug 15th, 2009 on Chuckmeout.com and NBC.com they will begin streaming all 22 episodes of season 2.

It has a great cast, Zach Levi as Chuck, the stunning Yvonne Strahovksi and Sarah Walker his romantic interest and CIA handler and Adam Baldwin the NSA Agent. They protect Chuck because he has this special ability to falsh on people. You have to see the pilot to understand. There is comedy, action, romance, family, geek humor etc. It is a really great show and it has the best cast on TV.

They also have some great guest stars, John Laroquete, Gary Cole, Jordana Brewster, Scott Bakula, Chevy Chase, Tricia Helfer and on and on. This show is so fun to watch.

So check it out online watch the pilot and season 1 online. You will be hooked trust me.

August 11 2009 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply