September 2, 2014

True Blood: Timebomb

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 10th 2009 2:03AM
True Blood - Timebomb, Hoyt and Jessica

(S02E08) "It grew back." - Jessica to Hoyt

You know, I never really thought about it, but Jessica is in a really interesting situation. She was a virgin when she was turned, so of course, each new time she makes love, it's going to "heal up," and she'll have to start from scratch, so to speak. What an awful predicament!

It's not so bad for Hoyt, who seems happy that "every time will be like our first time." Not so for Jessica, who says, "But it'll hurt like hell. I'm a fucking deformity of nature. I'm gonna be a virgin forever."

True Blood is starting to remind me a little of Dexter, with the blood and gore and knives cutting into juicy body parts. First Sam finds Daphne's heart-less corpse at Merlotte's (nice work by the makeup crew, by the way). Then we get Maryann cutting up the heart, baking it into a "hunter's souffle, and feeding it to Tara and Eggs. Soooo disgusting. This scene might have been even more disgusting than the one with Bill and Lorena having sex in the bloody bed a couple weeks ago.

Here's the thing. Don't you think Tara and Eggs would start to get a clue that Maryann might be the cause of all the weirdness in their lives? And yet, they still don't get that she's whacked out? "I got this sick feeling I did somethin' real bad," says Eggs. Uh, yeah. Like cutting someone's heart out and getting it fed to you. That's pretty bad alright. I was practically screaming at the TV: "Don't eat it! Back away from the souffle!"

Something's not right about Godric. One side of me wants to believe he's just a really nice vampire with a heart of gold who wants to live peacefully with humans. I mean, he called Sookie a friend to vampires, and said to Eric, "We ARE frightening. After thousands of years, we haven't developed. We only grow more brutal, more predatory ..."

And yet, there must be more to it than that. Plus, the whole thing about him being in the church seemingly willingly. I admit, though, my cable was in and out due to a thunderstorm, so I may have missed something crucial here.

Other Stuff:

"You're worse than Judas." - Sarah, after shooting Jason with the paintball gun
"Why, what did he do to ya?" - Jason

"He's your maker, isn't he?" - Sookie
"Don't use words you don't understand." - Eric
"You have a lot of love for him." - Sookie
"Don't use words I don't understand." - Eric

"I'm a cadet with the Light of Day Institute. I'm strapped." - Jason

Smiley Eric is even creepier than dark Eric.

Jessica being mortified when Bill burst in on she and Hoyt making love. "I don't know what you heard, but those were screams of pleasure ... right?" - Hoyt to Bill and Jessica

I'm not up on my card-reading skills. The "Justice" card that Lafayette turned over for Tara; what's it all mean?

"I'm actually older than your Jesus. I wish I could have known him, but I missed it." - Godric to Steve

"I reckon I've been to Heaven. I was inside your wife. - Jason to Steve

"The bond between a vampire and his maker is stronger than you can imagine. Perhaps one day, you'll find out." – Eric to Sookie (I think he was talking about HIM, not Bill, turning Sookie)

Jason hugging Bill.

"They say I sodomized a pine tree. Must be true ... My pecker's got all kinds of scratches on it." - jailed guy

Looking forward to your thoughts on this episode.

Brian Lee

Where is the actual church used as the setting for the Church of the Soldiers of Sun?

August 16 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chacha

I love,love,love this show. Great review!! Eric is so damn sexy. He is my favorite character in the show and in the books. I do hope they follow the books in certain aspects in the future. Jessica,at first, I couldn't stand but she has grown on me and I adore her and Hoyt's relationship. It is so innocent and so cute. I felt for her when she realized "it" would grow back.

I do hope they end the Maryanne storyline. I found myself bored when they cut to it. I did find it interesting that Lorena commented that domestic violence should not be tolerated right after the wild violent scence with Tara and Eggs. Am I'm guessing they are setting up Season 3's plot with Lorena/Bill with her obsessiveness towards him.

And I must say it again...Damn that Eric is sexy :)

August 15 2009 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WINTERS

i THINK SAM HAS MORE POWERS THAN WE KNOW BUT MARY ANN KNOWS, THATS WHY SHE WANTS TO CONTROL HIM!!!! WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM TURN INTO A HUGE WEIRDWOLF AND TEAR HER APART...

August 14 2009 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I still think that Jessica has to come in here to help out somehow with Sookie/Bill/Eric/Godric. It's not enough of just her and Hoyt and her hymen. Or maybe her story gets more interesting if she kills Hoyt accidentally?

Eric creeps me out. Does he want Sookie as his girlfriend, or just for her telepathy?

Do the books get into more about Sookie and Jason's parents and why Sookie's a telepath? Was Gran a telepath?

I think Tara and Eggs never quite figure out what's going on because when they start putting pieces of the puzzle together, Maryann puts a spell on them. Lafayette will come to the rescue.

Why doesn't Sam really corroborate Andy's story about Maryann and the bull with the claws, etc? Andy's going to end up dead.

August 11 2009 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Becky's comment
sunny

Becky, I'm not sure what Jessica can do to help? She's such a young vampire, her powers are nowhere near Bill and especially Eric's.

What interests Sookie, Eric finds 'curious'. He's fascinated with her right now, and thinks she's something other than just a telepath. If they follow the books, this is so.

Sookie's grandfather was a telepath, as gran explained in the first season, and this ties in with the "something other" than being a telepath.

Sam wouldn't corroborate Andy because it sounds crazy! And he's in enough trouble as it is.

Loved the recap tvsquad, but you forgot to add the hottest part of that scene between Eric and Sookie: when he leans in real close and whispers 'trust me'. *swooooooooooon!*

August 12 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

Best line in the episode.

August 11 2009 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Koads

I almost felt sorry for Steve. I was convinced that he had his family killed to have an excuse for starting his holy war. Now he seemed not as cold and cunning as I thought him to be...

August 11 2009 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karin

the one thing that i could not take my eyes off were eric's capped teeth. just a detail-but they are so obvious. i love the show and hopefully i will get over it. i wonder who is going to die in the blast????

August 10 2009 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heather

MaryAnn needs to be destroyed. She is ruining the story line. It was a sick scene with Maryann and the heart. The next thing you will find is someone in real life creating the same ... get rid of this type of action in the show. Jason is too dumb. Why all the sex, it's over done. When can't think of anything to say, then add sex is that what the writers are doing? The show writers act like they are groping for new material and don't know where to go or
do with the characters.

August 10 2009 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to heather's comment
laura

no one is going to recreate the hunters souffle, its been played out (dahmer, gein, etc) cannibalism is so 1980's.

August 10 2009 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alumplus

The most interesting part of the show is Jessica and Hoyt. Maryann needs to be eliminated, and get back to the vampire show not orgies. There is no chemistry between Bill and Skooie. Jason needs to have an increase in his IQ. The writers are producing stale material. Too much bone jumping and not enough story.

August 10 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

I liked how the episode focused on the vampires instead of Maryann. Her story has been going stale and if the writers aren't going to advance the story anytime soon, they shouldn't continue with the constant result-less orgies. I have a full review of the episode on my blog.

August 10 2009 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply