September 1, 2014

Is the end nigh for Family Guy?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Aug 11th 2009 6:29PM
Family GuySeth MacFarlane might have one of the most overrated shows on television right now (in my personal opinion, of course), but he hasn't let that cloud his realism when it comes to its future.

He of all people realizes that the best shows are the ones that left people hungering for more long after they left the airwaves. You following me, Scrubs?

MacFarlane told the Edmonton Sun and TV Guide Canada's resident TV junkie Amber Dowling that he has seen the future of Family Guy's finale and hopes it will come to an end while it is still on top.

The show's creator told the Canadian outlets that he wanted to get out while the getting is still good unlike "The Simpsons", which at the current rate is scheduled to air its season finale just on the cusp of the end of the universe. Maggie will age into a toddler by then.

It also sounds like the show has taken a lot out of him physically since it is "a year-round job, it's seven days a week" that can get "exhausting." That's just the grind of television. I'm sure the people behind My Mother, The Car lost loads of sleep, even though it looks as though their show was put together by drunk monkeys.

But in terms of quality, MacFarlane wants to be done with things "before they're done with us."

"Ideally we would go another couple of years and then wrap it up," MacFarlane told Dowling. "That would be my perfect scenario. I can already see it coming. We're in Season 8, and it gets harder and harder to do new stuff. Every show starts to suck after a certain point. We could already be there for all I know; I don't know."

Are you done with Family Guy?

Reggie

My, mcfarlane is a douche, is he really going to call out the Simpsons writing, which only got "bad" for about 2 seasons. The worst Simpsons episodes are only a step below some of the best Family Guy episodes. I actually liked Family Guy before it was cancelled and now it needs to be shut down again. Why keep this and cancel King of the Hill to add another mcfarlane show, ridiculous! He should just focus on American Dad and make it really good because I enjoy that show much more. Hopefully the new Futurama's coming in 2010 will match their previous seasons funny level. Futurama rules all animation, you tools, except for South Park occasionally.

September 19 2009 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Reggie's comment
talli620

ctually king of the hilled SUCKED and I'm glad they cancelled it cuz family guy is way funnier and if u think it's overated then don't watch it!! : ( And go masterbate in your closet..... Tht show is for people hoo can handle it and actually have a sense of humer... I'm 13 years old and u don't hear me wining about ****! and seth macfarlane is not a douche, have you seen wen repoters interview him wen he is on he go,

March 10 2011 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brandon

I would like to say, to all the people who bashed Family Guy in these comments. Thank you...Cuz without you, all of those extremely gifted writers on that show, wouldn't have all the Puns and Satire to use, that comes from your lonely pitiful lives..
I would also like to add, Mr MacFarlane and the to other thousands of talented people who made the 8 seasons of Family Guy I have in my DVD collection possible; Thank You.....!!! for creating the best damn show, cartoon or not, on TV,! EVER.......... You will be missed... Oh, SCTV and Monty Python's Flying Circus are a close second too by-the-way.
Oh Shut-Up.

September 13 2009 at 6:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenji Meadu

Family Guy has had it's moments since it came back, but for the most part it peaked when it was cancelled. I'll still watch it, but I think it lost it's genius status once Fox came crawling back.

[Cue irrate message troller for using 'genius' as a description for Family Guy]

September 11 2009 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry Heyes

Hey they may stop making Family Guy, but it will live on FOREVER!! Thanks to reruns!! It has & still is one of the most outragous & funniest programs that has ever hit the air waves.
No matter what & when the desision is to end it, it really never be ended. Thanks Seth

August 31 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Larry Heyes's comment
talli620

OMG u r the only sain person here...

March 10 2011 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jasmine Lassiter

Family guy is one of the best shows out there. Myself and my stepdad gather around the tv whenever it is about to come on. I will be sad to see it go.

August 20 2009 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jasmine Lassiter's comment
talli620

i totally agree but i lik to watch it alone hehehe ... GIGGITY!

March 10 2011 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wth

YOUR ALL STUPID PRUDE FAMILY GUY HATERS! GET LIVES HATERS!

August 20 2009 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K48JG69C

I don't think it's just for anyone to stereotype the average FG fan as "dumb". I would definitely call myself a big Family Guy fan but if asked about my views on it I wouldn't simply say it's "freakin' sweet". I'd say I think a vast amount of the wit from the first season has recently been lost (and replaced with quite a lot of offence), I don't like Seth MacFarlane and I believe the only constantly good character is Stewie. Yet it still remains my favourite show because after a crappy day it immediately boosts my spirits with its loveable immaturity and simple Stewie quotes that leave me laughing for days. I think after UK season 9/US season 8, it will have gone as far as it possibly can and it should be left there before it gets ruined by the writers trying to think up fresh material. I'll without a doubt still be watching my FG DVDs long after the end credits roll on the final epsiode, because very rarely does a show come along that you can watch over and over and still love it.

August 17 2009 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Yeah, it's been overrated since cancellation (and even before then it wasn't that amazing). But it never did get back up on it's feet. I just don't like it.

That being said, I was thrilled to see that fan interest brought the show back to life. If Firefly wasn't a pricey live action show, you know that would have seen a second tv life. But now we got Futurama coming back, thanks to fan interest, and I just hope that it is as solid as the original run.

August 12 2009 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sam's comment
talli620

Yeah im glad that they brung futurama bak to and i don't get it r u saying that ur a fan or not???

March 10 2011 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Not Bitter

Seth is turning into Alan Alda and should go away.

August 12 2009 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

Family guy has sucked since cancellation, and I love the show and still watch it. They only really had one redeeming episode during the return which was Petarded...

August 12 2009 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Martin's comment
talli620

HAHAHAHA i saw that episode it was hella funny... and they had to make it less funny because their jokes were overrated and so they had to cut tht down because that was the resone they got cancelled

March 10 2011 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply