October 23, 2014

Miley and the stripper's pole: thumbs up or thumbs down?

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 11th 2009 10:07AM
Miley CyrusIt's an extraordinary thing when the 16 year-old star of a show on the Disney Channel can pole-dance on national TV, but that's what happened last night on FOX. People aren't happy about it.

Personally, I think if Cyrus wants to dance around a stripper's pole (yeah, "dancer's pole" - uh huh) or wants to date an entire football team or meet sailors down at the dock, fine, I guess that's her right.

I just don't think she should do it on a show called The Teen Choice Awards.

What do you think of Miley Cyrus' pole-dancing?
There's nothing wrong with it291 (26.3%)
Not my cup of tea, but I don't see anything wrong 157 (14.2%)
Inappropriate!659 (59.5%)

luyun009

Although it's her right, I don't think it's appropriate for a teenage girl to do pole-dance.
She looks innocent.

August 12 2009 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creep

She has a pudding face. Grody.

August 12 2009 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

Even though it wasn't a real "pole", why was she holding onto it and why would she crouch while wearing short shorts like that?

Disney shows and their stars are just so cheesy. I like Disneyland and Disney movies (such as Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast), but the stuff that they have on the Disney Channel? So incredibly cheesy.

I think we've seen too much of Miley Cyrus (and other teen stars). They need to go live a quiet life somewhere and stop being everywhere (tv, magazines, etc).

By the way, wasn't Levi Johnston at the Teen Choice Awards w/ Kathy Griffin?

August 12 2009 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I'm more appalled by her "top" and the fact that the dancing and the song doesn't mesh well together so it comes off more like Kid Rock concert gone horribly wrong.

August 11 2009 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

Stripper pole? PFFFT!

The real controversy here is why the hell Bristol Palin's baby-daddy, Levi Johnston, was at the Teen Choice Awards?

He is the POSTER BOY for bad teen choices!

August 11 2009 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Inadequate Wife

It seems to me that most Miley Cyrus fans are under the age of 10 - by that age, they've had enough of the Disney stuff and have long since moved on. I doubt that many of her child fans know what a stripper pole is.

As for those over the age of 10, they know far more about sex and drugs than we think. Short of keeping our kids in a bubble, they have been and will continually be exposed to things we, as parents, might disapprove of.

We need to educate our kids to think for themselves, and to follow a certain set of values, no matter what Miley or Britney or Hillary or whomever demonstrates.

August 11 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Inadequate Wife's comment
Inadequate Wife

After actually watching the whole video, I have to say that I wouldn't let my 13 year old leave the house dressed like that either - very short shorts and her bra clearly visible under her shirt (especially the side/back view) - certainly doesn't look like a swimsuit top!

But then again, I lived through Madonna's Like a Virgin and Prince's Darlin' Nikki when I was in high school and I turned out okay. I guess my parents did something right!

August 11 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I'm with Butters. If anyone would actually take the time to watch the video, you would see that it was absolutely harmless. Calling it a 'strippers pole' is like calling the floor lamp in my living room a strippers pole. Get real. The Media is sensationalizing it, and of course the masses are feeding off the hype. Everyone reads "strippers pole" and thinks of lewd acts or dancing, but what this was, was nothing of the sort. (and this is coming from a fairly conservative father)

August 11 2009 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

What is the Teen Choice Awards?

August 11 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

Not really much of a pole dance now was it? She stood on top of an ice cream cart holding on to the pole sticking out the top of the cart. She barely moved and at one point dropped down to a crouching position. That's it.

Now I am sure that everyone involved is not naive and is well aware that there would be comparisons to a stripper pole but if I was at a strip club and a "exotic dancer" did that I would be asking for my bundle of singles back.

August 11 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malfoy Roark

It's humorous you use a pic wth her havng an obviously seductive pose and then going to try to put her behavior in question. She's a rich young cutie and her people know how to milk that for as long as they can. This is life and particularly her life, and we should just let it go. She wasn't responsible for the US deficit, the collapse of any industry,any questionable health care reform, scandals with politicians, drug smuggling/possession, sex scandals, or any type of drunken car accidents. Once she's done one of the above then we can give her a hard time. Until then, again, just let her and her fans have their fun.

August 11 2009 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply