September 1, 2014

Recession and the Real Housewives of Atlanta

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 11th 2009 10:29AM
bravo_hartwell_real_housewives_of_atlantaA week ago on the hit Bravo reality "thang" Real Housewives of Atlanta, if you tuned in you got to see the ladies who lunch take it outside for a beat down, but you also saw one of the fakiest, mushiest love scenes yet on the Real Housewives' franchise. Former, pro football player Ed Hartwell cooked a special dinner, spread rose petals to spell "I love you," played massage therapist, and finally took a bubble bath with his wife while murmuring the words, "Let's go make some babies."

The ick factor was set on 11 on the Spinal Tap scale. That was then. Ed and Lisa Hartwell have been foreclosed upon and now that bathtub for two is the bank's property.

The recession has hit three of the Atlanta housewives, not just Lisa. Sheree was forced to give up her mansion at the start of this season when she discovered her ex wasn't paying the mortgage, and Nene has also had to move into another house after reportedly falling behind in the rent.

Fortunately, there's a happy ending for the Hartwells. They bought a new place on ten acres and are settled in.

While on the subject of the Atlanta wives, has it seemed to you that the producers have been amping up the confrontations and fighting? The New York wives, not to mention the Orange County ladies, don't seem as ready to get physical like the Georgia girls. Somebody might think it makes for great reality TV, but it comes off as contrived and unseemly to moi. Besides, would you risk breaking a nail to pull off another chick's wig? I think not.

maddie

I totally agree.

October 24 2009 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
randy

I love the show, I think Kandi is the only one who deserves respect... She earned her money... Nene lookes and acts like a Saschuach, I used to like Nene until she went off on Kandi... Kim is a greedy money hungry whore who needs therapy, I'd love to see Kim have to get a minimum wage job because big Papa stops paying her bills... Lisa I like a lot, hate to see her struggle... And Sheree is a selfish, self centered, conceited, arrogant woman who lives off her X husbands money because her She by Sheree clothing line hasn't made a dime... Sheree is no entreprenuer...But she has to mention She by Sheree everytime she says anything... I hope Sheree has a hard life financially as a result of the economy because she needs to be humbled big time... I guess the arrest photos of sheree for steeling didn't make her crawl under a rock for the 2nd season... Does anyone even like Sheree ? I hope Kandi recovers from her recent loss and becomes a huge success again in R&B...

October 03 2009 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina

I just wrote a blog today about how fake these women are and how staged this show is. They act as if they are little teenage girls in high school with all of their nonsense. Check out my blog @ www.tinalbentley.wordpress.com

August 31 2009 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BigLittleWolf

Of all the franchises, I like Atlanta the least - in part because they DO get so physical, and really aren't like any of the women I have known who live in the South. And I've known plenty!

On the other hand - let's face it - most of America tunes in to see trash, if for no other reason than it takes us out of our own lives for a bit of time - including our own recessionary difficulties.

The bath scene was a bit high on the "ick" factor. But Lisa seems like a woman who has her act together, with plenty of smarts and a great sense of style. Nene says it like it is, and you have to respect that.

As for the rest? OMG. Can't believe I actually have it on in the background at night. Then it seeps into my dreams... http://dailyplateofcrazy.wordpress.com/08/28/kim-did-it/

But I think Bravo could do a little better for us. And hoping the Untitled Art Project is more like Top Chef Masters or Project Runway. - http://dailyplateofcrazy.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/reality-tv-rocks-untitled-art-project-idea/

August 28 2009 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deeb

I am amazed that Lisa's husband keeps whining about having another kid when he doesn't really have a job! Lisa's being a sweetheart about it on camera, but I can imagine when they are "off stage," she probably says, "Negro, are you crazy!?!?"

And, yes, I think the ghetto girls vs. trailer trash beat down scenes are getting too predicatable.

Move on people. Nothing to see here!

August 12 2009 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stein

Folks,look at these fools! Who would hire them to do anything? Kim is still there because the cow doesn't have a job and this show is her only income. Nene and Sheree need to learn to say do you want fries with that and Lisa and her washed up husband a just pitiful. It's bad when you let some gals from Jersey make you look like trash...

August 11 2009 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donna

"There are tons of monied African-Americans in Atlanta and tons of classier, financially stable upper-class members in NJ, NY, & Orange County"

I honestly don't think any actual classy member of the upper class would AGREE to do any of these shows. I have a feeling that most of the people who go on those shows anyway have an ulterior motive. They want to promote their business or further their careers or just want their 15 minutes. Classier people just aren't concerned with that. They have more important things to worry about like say - dignity.

August 11 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

Ah, nothing goes faster than "new money".

August 11 2009 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Robyn's comment
Anita

It makes sense that two of the people mentioned spent beyond their means. After all, Ed Hartwell retired. How could he maintain his mega-mansion on a mini-salary? Plus, why would Sheree assume that her ex-husband would continue to pay for her maxi-pad? I'm still waiting for Kim to undergo eviction. She doesn't have a job and she no longer has a sugar daddy.

Anyways, what is up with the Real Housewives Franchise producers? There are tons of monied African-Americans in Atlanta and tons of classier, financially stable upper-class members in NJ, NY, & Orange County - why are they always going for the trashiest people possible?

August 11 2009 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Anita - because class, taste and refinement don't make for "good TV".

August 11 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply