September 22, 2014

AMC to bring The Walking Dead to TV

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 12th 2009 3:10PM
The Walking DeadNow that the world's collective pre-teen subconscious has been thoroughly distracted by vampires with glittering skin or charming Southern accents, AMC is sneakily bringing back some zombie love. According to Variety, the comic series created by writer Robert Kirkman and illustrator Tony Moore, The Walking Dead, is coming to AMC. Bonus: Frank Darabont will be writing and directing.

It's about time! Let's give the blood suckers a break and revisit some good ol' brain eaters, shall we?

Stories about people struggling to survive after a massive zombie apocalypse can easily feel like the furious notebook scribblings of a high school boy, but The Walking Dead series has a lot more emphasis on drama than shocking scares or free-for-all ass-kicking, which should translate well into a television show. It will also be interesting to see how the visuals actually turn out, since the whole comic is done in really strong black, white and grey. Heck, maybe they'll even keep it stark and colorless (probably just my artsy-fartsy wishful thinking).

Travis

I think I just shit myself.

The Walking Dead is easily one of the best graphic novels I have ever read. Kirkman's portrayal of our hero in this story is down right terrifying and the story has gone places I have never seen before.

I am officially jacked for this to premiere. Do we have a rough ETA as to when it will premiere? Has the first season actually been picked up, or has just the pilot been greenlit?

August 12 2009 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Travis's comment
Annie W.

I don't think any of those things have actually happened yet. It sounds like the project is in the very, very early stages but AMC seems excited about it.

August 12 2009 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

Are you sh*tting me? the walking dead AND darabont? Pinch me I am dreaming. I love this graphic novel, its truly unique. We all know the stories of the dead coming back to live and the survivors fighting to live, but where are the stories that take place after the first initial feeding frenzy? This is that story and it goes places zombie movies or books have NEVER EVER been.

August 12 2009 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

wow wow wow wow wow!!!

August 12 2009 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WarT0rn

Okay wow. This is actually very cool. I've read that comic for years. It's a very compelling ongoing storyline. Cool!

August 12 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

I'm very excited to read this news. The comic series is easily one of my favorites. I really hope the show turns out good.

August 12 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply