October 21, 2014

NCIS's premiere will begin with a bang

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 12th 2009 12:02PM
tony_ziva_NCIS_cbs

Only 42 days to go. That's how long until the season premiere of NCIS. According to Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello, quoting exec producer Shane Brennan, the first minute of NCIS is a mindblower. What could this possibly mean? Will someone die, or will we discover what happened to Ziva? Was that her being beaten and tortured in the closing scene of last season's finale?

Here's more of Brennan's tease: "You'll think you know what's going on, but then you'll go, 'Am I seeing things? What just happened?'" If the scene he's referring to is Ziva and she's being tortured -- assuming that was her -- will she give up information that jeopardizes NCIS ... or is it possible that she doesn't and Ziva's killed? I don't think it could be the latter, because Cote de Pablo is coming back for the new season.

In fact, Brennan confirmed that the Ziva and Tony romance will be on the agenda. Reportedly, the friction between them sparks in the season premiere and combusts over the next three episodes. However, that doesn't mean the Ziva/Tony relationship will be hearts and flowers. The consummation of their "thing" hasn't been written yet, but at some point, they do "do" it. "You can't have an on-again, off-again relationship like this that isn't on-again at some point in a very unexpected way," said Brennan.

If that sounds confusing, I think it's more that it's just a way to keep fans glued to the set. Viewers tend to drift when couples are happy and in bliss. Also, if NCIS has been successful at anything, it's keeping loyal watchers engrossed. The top five Nielsen numbers don't lie.

Philip

Without a doubt....the very BEST show on television

September 18 2009 at 6:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caty

the whole tiva thing has to be a tease, i don't really think sb would have them be "on again" and "do it" in the sense that he wants us to think he means, otherwise why would he tell us? plus remember at the end of either legend 1 or 2 (i think), gibbs mentions rule 12 or something, and tony says "i would never date a co-worker, you know that" mistaking it for another rule-- this was said for a reason!! it was a precursor to what immediately followed. tiva is a tease, at least romantically speaking. in fact i bet they nearly kill each other somewhere in the first 3 episodes.

September 09 2009 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trudy

Yes, it was definitely Ziva being tortured at the end of last season. Yes, sparks fly between Tony and Ziva but, I agree with the others, if they do get together, it's the end of the show. I'm so glad she's coming back.

September 04 2009 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hrgfan

To be honest? I could care less about Tiva (shippername) I'm a McAbby shipper 100%, if any romance is to be on the cards... well, I'm for Tim and Abby. Looking forward to this new season though.

September 02 2009 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unhinged

Oh yeah because Ziva being horribly OOC is just such a great job by the writers.

August 14 2009 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Unhinged's comment
tejas

Ziva's been nothing *but* OOC since the end of S3. She's all over the map and I'm not sure she can be said to *have* a specific characterization any more. She's The Girl, nothing more. A pretty, but completely unrealistic "Girl", but since when do these writers know squat about writing women? Just look at what they've done to Abby. They've turned her into pedophile's dream date.

August 14 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

i love the idea of Tony and Ziva. i think they work well together and ofcourse there chemisty is perfect. I cannot wait to see their relationship head towards the next level. The writers will do it respectfully to all people and not let them just "get into bed together". All shows have some relationship that evolves like Bones and CSI. I am glad to see NCIS is doing the same. In both Bones and CSI they have good couples that grow together and blossom without distroying the show. NCIS can do the same and finally we get some good old Tony/Ziva action.

August 14 2009 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unhinged

Well, isn't that fantastic!

August 13 2009 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Love Tony/Ziva romance.

August 13 2009 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unhinged

I came into this show last year having no opinion either way on this pairing, I came into it cold. I did not start out wanting to hate something that was on this show.

The more episodes of Season 6 and 3,4 and 5 repeats I saw that were anvil heavy the more I've loathed this idea.

Amazing Shane Brennan, if this is the stuff you have in mind for this show it is going to take a miracle for me to keep watching. I don't want to drop this show, but I also don't want to watch a show all about a couple.

And to think the cast is actually happy with you. Sheesh. I'd rather work 18 hours a day under DPB then be involved with a soap opera.

August 12 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fish

Oh, please. Could Shane Brennan stop giving interviews? Please? If anything, this is making me question my undying devotion to NCIS. This is NOT a romance! This is supposed to be an ensemble show about solving crimes relating to the Navy. This is not supposed to be about Tony and Ziva and their stupid love story that is about the worst idea I've ever seen on a show. These two people are not well matched. They've not been shown to be friends or even respectful of one another. Why put them together? What is the point? Honestly, if this is the direction NCIS is going, I may have to stop watching.

Shane Brennan...not everyone watches NCIS to see the "hot male lead" and the "hot female lead" jump into bed together. Some people watch because they enjoy the team interactions, the crimes...and shock of the nation, the *other* characters on the show.

Gag.