October 1, 2014

New SG-1 and Atlantis movies aren't coming anytime soon

by Mike Moody, posted Aug 12th 2009 8:03PM
stargate atlantis cast... At least that's what Stargate producer Robert C. Cooper is saying. Cooper has written scripts for another Stargate SG-1 DVD movie and the first Stargate Atlantis flick, but those projects are on the back burner for now. Cooper and MGM are focusing on the launch of Syfy's Stargate Universe before those movie scripts go into production. Oh, and the sh*tty economy isn't helping either.

"We're just waiting for the right opportunity. We want to be successful with it. The studio wants to be successful, and we really don't want to proceed with something in the wrong climate, which I think financially it is right now," Cooper told Sci Fi Wire.

I'm looking forward to Stargate Universe, but I'd love to see the franchise continue releasing DVD movies every few years. Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum were great and they sold well on DVD, but projected DVD sales for new projects aren't looking good these days.

Cooper said his movie scripts are stand-alone adventures and they have nothing to do with Universe. "The Atlantis one takes place shortly after the end of season five. The SG-1, I think, takes place sometime in an intermediary period between when the SG-1 movies left off and when Universe began," he said.

The first and last episodes of Atlantis were released in a "Fans' Choice" Blu-ray set last week. Hopefully, we'll get to see the Atlantis crew, and the stars of SG-1, together again once Cooper and co. convince the studio its worth the investment.

Tom

I really look forward to the SG1 movies. I really like Continuum. I liked the Universe show this weekend. It was better than the pilot episode.

October 11 2009 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jack34

Sci Fi Wire.
debt help.

September 28 2009 at 3:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jack34

[url=http://www.getplastic.co.uk]credit card[/url]
URL="http://www.lowmortgageoffer.com"]home mortgage[/URL]
[http://www.ccnatest.com ccna certification test]

September 28 2009 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jack34

This is a wonderful series. I bought new SG-1 DVD few days before.

------------------
shoes

September 28 2009 at 3:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bkwurm1

I became a whole lot less interested in the new SG1 movie when I heard that they were not going to bother bringing back the whole cast. If they aren't going to do it right, maybe they shouldn't do it at all.

August 26 2009 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikerk52

I Too can't get enough of SG 1....I Watch all that is there on HULU..Can't wait till they [you know who you are] add more episoids...also Stargate: Continuum ....Thank god we Have HULU....
SG 1~~~> IT JUST AIN'T THE SAME WITH OUT
Richard Dean Anderson
Colonel/Brigadier General Jonathan J. "Jack" O'Neill
Well known as the talented everyday-hero MacGyver, Richard Dean Anderson is a very gifted, remarkable actor, mikerk52 Iin Kingstown,RI .....

August 25 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

Yea... let's strike while the iron is cold. *headdesk*

I am looking forward to SGU, but this... this is ridiculous.

August 13 2009 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Speed dating affiliate

I'd buy a new SG-1 DVD only because I love the series so much, BUT... Overall, I could live without any more. This seems to be milking the fans needlessly when they should be focusing on doing Stargate Universe as well as they can. THAT I do want to see.
Speed dating affiliate

August 13 2009 at 7:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

I love SG-1 and SGA, but I can't shake the feeling that we'll never see them again.

I mean, even if you ignore that nobody is going to say "Yeah, we're abandoning our old product that lots of people love mere weeks before launching a new product that has a lot of people nervous" (unless you're FOX), and assuming the climate gets "right" again...I kind of feel like there are a few actors who -- unless they're already contractually obligated -- won't be interested in coming back the farther out things get.

August 13 2009 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply