December 20, 2014

No surprise there ... Doctor Who season five on BBCA

by Brad Trechak, posted Aug 12th 2009 9:03AM
Doctor WhoIn a victory for nerdy Brit-philes everywhere, BBC America has announced the acquisition of U.S. broadcast rights for the fifth season of Doctor Who starring the 11th Doctor, Matt Smith. This is on the tail of announcing record ratings for the American broadcast of the Doctor Who episode Planet of the Dead and the mini-series Torchwood: Children of Earth.

This is all the more reason to curse my cable company for not actually carrying BBC America and having to resort to other means to watch one of my favorite programs of all time. You know when a network tells you to call your cable company to carry your favorite stations? I will personally testify in a court of law that it accomplishes jack squat.

There are no other television stations that could correctly carry Doctor Who in the states. SyFy? Oh please. Their first run with the series was lukewarm at best. The Doctor is home, and I look forward to catching his new adventures however I can.

Rebecca

Our local cable provider cablevision doesn't carry BBCA. Which is why I'm ordering FIOS, they do. There's no way I'm waiting for Doctor Who and Torchwood to come out on video. (And I'm sick of searching for them online when an episode airs.) I used to watch DW online as well as on SciFi (not using that dumbed down spelling and it was SciFi then anyway) but SciFi cut out bits to fit in commercials, which was unacceptable to me. BBCA has said that they won't cut Doctor Who.

August 12 2009 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

JPN; Since I've been a Doctor fan since the sixties, I mean what I say when I won't watch the new guy. There have only been a few Doctors that I really liked, and those I watched, and own on DVD. If I don't like them, I don't watch. Plus I think RTD is a genius, and if he isn't writing, I'm out. I'm not a big fan of Mr. M.

August 12 2009 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

If your cable company doesn't carry BBCA then maybe you should switch to a Satellite broadcaster. Now if Dish Network only carried BBCA in HD I'd be a very happy camper.

August 12 2009 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Cablevision still doesn't carry BBCA, so I'll still have to "obtain" by episodes from by cousin Bit.

August 12 2009 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sourbob

The real question is: are they going to show it in a semi-timely fashion, or delay it by so many months that it's all old news by the time it reaches BBCA?

August 12 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

Thanks for the info, unlike someone people apparently, I haven't heard this yet. Hopefully this means the BBCA won't be cutting scenes the way Sci-fi/Syfy has. Though there was a bit of cutting with CoE.

August 12 2009 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

When I was a kid, long ago, I watched the good Doctor on our local PBS station. About 6 years ago, the PBS station here showed older ones during their pledge drive. I pledged and got a TARDIS key as a thank you. BBCA has consistantly better programs than American networks. I am not looking forward to the new Doctor, though. DT was and is, one of the best.

August 12 2009 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mj's comment
John

That's what they all say when there's a new doctor :)

August 12 2009 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richardbeaudin605

You could try to get your local PBS station to air it. It would even be commercial free that way.

August 12 2009 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

Wow, way to be two days behind on the news. Why I even bother coming to this site anymore is beyond me.

August 12 2009 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply