October 1, 2014

America's Got Talent: Results show two

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Aug 13th 2009 12:30AM
America's Got Talent
(S04E16) Twelve more acts performed last night, and we learned in this America's Got Talent second results show who would join Arcadian Broad, Acrodunk, Drew Thomas Magic, Kevin Skinner, and Grandma Lee in the Top 20. The show also confirmed that it would be returning for another season.

From what I've read on the web, most people thought that Charles DeWayne and the Voices of Glory would move through to the next round without a doubt. As for which acts would get the other three spots, fans could not agree since a lot of the remaining acts gave so-so performances or were too close to call. Did Charles and the Voices of Glory siblings get a spot in the Top 20? Which other acts will stay in Hollywood for the next round? The results, including a shocking turn of events, coming up!

After a quick summary of what happened last night and some comments from the judges, Nick introduced the acts as they walked on the stage ready to hear their fate.

Nick first had tap dancers Fab 5 and the Beale Street Flippers come forward. Both were good, but my money was on the Fab 5 to win as they performed a tighter routine last night. After the usual reveal pause, Nick announced that Fab 5 was moving on.

The results show continued with a performance from a band I've never heard of before -- hip-hop group LMFAO performing their supposedly chart-topping hit "I'm In LA Trick." They had 80s-style clothes and seemed hip, but their performance bored me. If they were contestants on the show, I'm not sure I would have voted for them to go through to the Top 20! You?

The Voices of Glory, Eleisha Miller and Carol Loo were brought forward to learn their fate. As soon as I saw them take center stage and before Nick said it, I knew that only one act was going through. Nick first told Carol Loo that she was going home. Thank you, America, for not giving her enough votes to be in fifth or sixth position, because I suspect the judges would have put her through. Nick then announced that Voices of Glory were part of the Top 20.

The Texas Tenors and Pete Peterkin were up next, and Nick didn't waste too much time telling us that the Texas Tenors were voted through to the next round. Before the three tenors left the stage, Piers made a special request: "Less cheese, please." We'll have to wait a few weeks to see if they'll improve their act and maybe even sing a ballad, as suggested by Sharon yesterday.

Before more results were given, Penn & Teller performed a "saw a woman in half" act. I love those guys, as they don't take themselves seriously, and their acts are always fun to watch. Their twist on this old magician trick was to tell us how magicians usually perform this trick while performing a bloody version of the trick. Bravo! Really entertaining and unexpected. I hope the contestants had the chance to chit chat with Penn & Teller because the duo could teach them a lot about how to take acts to the next level and what performing in Vegas is all about.

SQ Entertainment, Alizma and Paradizo Dance were up next. Nick announced that only one act was going through, then told Alizma that they were going back home. No surprise there since they gave a bad performance yesterday and actually got three Xs. Paradizo Dance is going through, meaning that for a second year in a row, SQ Entertainment saw their dream of winning the competition fail to come through.

Then it was time for the judges to decide who would move on between Charles DeWayne and Tony Hoard and Rory. I'm really surprised that Charles DeWayne didn't get more votes than he did. Could it be that some people didn't vote for him, thinking that everyone else would since he gave one of the best performances last night?

After Sharon said she couldn't vote first, David gave his vote to Tony and Rory. Piers voted for Charles and said that if he didn't go through, it would be the biggest scandal in AGT history. Well, Piers, the biggest scandal happened because Sharon wanted more variety in the show and decided to vote for Tony and Rory. I'm speechless... I can't believe Charles didn't go through. What a shocking turn of events, eh? Then again, the judges have made terrible decisions this season, so maybe seeing Tony and Rory go through ain't so surprising...

I got four out of five this week, and I can't believe my wrong pick was Charles. How did you do? Are you happy with this week's results? Don't be afraid to chime in with comments below.

So far, the Top 20 is composed of:
  • 3 singing acts: Kevin Skinner, Voices of Glory, The Texas Tenors
  • 2 dance acts: Arcadian Broad, Fab 5
  • 2 acrobatic/acrobatic dance acts: Acrodunk, Paradizo Dance
  • 1 magic act: Drew Thomas Magic
  • 1 comedic act: Grandma Lee
  • 1 variety act: Tony Hoard and Rory

As announced by Piers and Nick during the show, there will be a fifth season of AGT. NBC already offers people the option of pre-registering to audition online. Are you glad the show is returning? Do you want them to change anything to the format?

Some of the suggestions I made last year on how to improve the show could still be applicable to season five. The six changes I would like to see happen for next season: 1) don't allow past contestants to re-audition; 2) don't allow singers or dancers to perform solo, as we already have shows for those; 3) have less audition episodes; 4) have the judges actually only put good acts through; 5) if they still bring people to Vegas for "Vegas Verdicts," have them perform before sending them packing; 6) have America decide who'll be the wild card(s) by having them vote on the Internet.

America's Got Talent' Photos

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Judge David Hasselhoff.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Piers Morgan, Sharon Osbourne and David Hasselhoff.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Judge Piers Morgan.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Judge Sharon Osbourne.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Piers Morgan, Sharon Osbourne and David Hasselhoff.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Piers Morgan, Sharon Osbourne and David Hasselhoff.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Swinging Rat Pack.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Swinging Rat Pack.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Indiggo.

NBC

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT Shelia-Shelia Of The Jungle.

NBC

Raquel

Hi, I was excited to know that there will be a fifth season of the show! But for me, the best AGT winner was Neal E. Boyd, of season 3. I saw on his website that he will be doing a chat with his fans on October 6th! I am sooo excited! Hopefully, Kevin will do a chat as well.

September 25 2009 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CR

I forgot to add in the above comment that I could not really hear or understand what Lawrence Beaman was singing.
By the way Lawrence is a PRO. Check his website.
www.lawrencebeaman.com to purchase his music.
Chuck

August 19 2009 at 6:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CR

8-18-2009 SHOW
I recorded the show last night. I did not see any act that I would waste my time watching. PURE TRASH.
Chuck

August 19 2009 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maz

you dummies two of you vote a dog show

August 18 2009 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AGT fan

AGT as they persist,is trying to fill the TALENT show with VAVIETIES/DIVERSITIES as they can. The judges have to do what they have to do to balance the DIVERSITIES and VAVIETIES to meet the purpose of the show. They try not to have too many acts in one category due to the fact that last year so many singing acts in the competion. It's not easy for the judges themselves. You have the job to do and you can never please everyone. As one judge said, it is not the end of the road, it is the beginning. This is the TALENT show, not only for singing but also for a VARIETY of TALENT acts. American Idol auditions (dedicatedfor singing talent only) have just started this week, those SINGING contestants that did not make at AGT can have a try at those auditions. But that is not an option for other acts. Right now, AGT is the only show that can provide the stage for other acts. So, think about it. You gotta share.

P.S:
I disagree with all of your suggestions. Keep the TALENT show as is.

August 14 2009 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

As usual Sharon and David proved why idiots like them know nothing about talent. They are only on the show because of thier names. I am not a huge fan of Charles but no one would sit through and hour of watching a dog catch frisbees in the park never mind pay in a Vegas show. One less viewer for the show (me).

August 13 2009 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

1) don't allow past contestants to re-audition

I like the ideas you present, especially as amended by my fellow commentators. However, I'm not going to put the blame on the judges for the 5th-spot picks. Their input is based entirely on the show's producers' expectations. And the producers are simply responding to viewer complaints made during the previous seasons: There are too many singing acts and too many dancing acts; where's the variety in this variety show?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels it completely inappropriate to offer children a million dollar contract and a show in Vegas. The kids should have their own show with an appropriate prize.

And I whole-heartedly agree they spent WAY too much time on auditions. We're only half way through semi-finals and I'm completely burnt out. I didn't even bother watching the 2 hour performance show this week, and I skipped 45 minutes of the results show, just to see who got kept.

I plan on keep this routine until they get down to the final 2 episodes of the season.

August 13 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

I'll amend two of my suggestions based on your good comments:

- Solo singers and dancers, as well as dance crews, who can audition for Idol, SYTYCD and ABDC (based on these show's rules) shouldn't be allowed to audition for AGT as they already have the chance to win big on these other reality competitions.

- Acts who made it to the performance shows shouldn't be allowed to audition again in the future.

August 13 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micah

David Hasslehoff is an idiot. He wouldn't know talent even if it came and bit him in the ass. Sharon shouldn't be a judge at all. Pierce Morgan is the only one that provides actual useful criticism and advice. AGT would be A LOT better show if they remove Sharon & David.

August 13 2009 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

After the last show, I was disgusted by the lack of talent. Are you serious? Are these some of the most talented people in America? Wow...we suck.

I really agree that the judges should be smacked around for the crap that they put through in the advancing rounds. everyone boos Piers, but sometimes he is the only voice of reason. Just put some duct tape over Hasselhoff's mouth and automatically give his approval for every freak of nature or 90 year old break dancer that comes along.

The show is too long (too much padding as someone mentioned). I get bored with it trying to be too much like Americal Idol. Nobody else in my family will watch it. They call it "Americas got NO talent."

August 13 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply