December 21, 2014

Can Katherine Moennig ever shake Shane?

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 13th 2009 11:32AM
Katherine MoennigThrough all of The L Word's ridiculous six seasons, Kate Moennig played Shane, the character that put butterflies in the tummies of men and women alike, gay, straight or otherwise. Hey. No use in deny it. We all felt it.

And watching this behind-the-scenes video of Three Rivers, it just seems like Shane decided to clean up her womanizing act and throw on some scrubs. There was a similar effect when Moennig played a small part in Art School Confidential. Is Moennig going to be able to convince viewers that Shane is in her past?

The AfterEllen blog posted some recent promotional shots from the show and, even without the trademark pointy hair, it's hard not to just see Shane looking kind of bummed out about having to deny people transplants. Granted, this is an obstacle that any actor has to overcome when taking on a new project after finishing a very long run on a television show. And it's not like people kept seeing Uncle Jesse running around a hospital when John Stamos joined ER. How do you think Moennig will do in this new role? Especially in something much more mainstream than The L Word?

... And yes, I just linked Shane McCutcheon to Uncle Jesse.

laura

KATE MOENNIG!!!

August 24 2009 at 6:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yukita

she b great..hard work for her ..but iam sure she could erase the image...even her eyes always gonna make her fans actually remember Shane imediately...but Kate will prove it..., just give her a chance :)

August 14 2009 at 2:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

I'd be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt but after watching that video I don't want to give the show the chance (or that band either).

August 13 2009 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeanie

She'll be great. Can't wait.

August 13 2009 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tb

She was excellent as Shane but I don't think most people will even know who she is. I'm a straight guy who watched "The L Word," but I'd venture to say that most didn't. People might just see her as a fresh face.

August 13 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I think the first things they need to do is give her a new haircut! :)

August 13 2009 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harry

We'll have to watch and see. Some actors can do it, others can't. Takes James Gandolfini and Edie Falco. I see Tony in pretty much every role I have seen Gandolfini play, but I rarely see Edie Falco playing Carmela in any role beyond the Sopranos.

August 13 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply