October 23, 2014

G.I.Joe as it should have been

by Brad Trechak, posted Aug 13th 2009 10:28AM
Olivia WildeI don't know how many of you caught the G.I. Joe movie this past weekend that is based on the cartoon and toy franchise of the 80's. I didn't, but even without seeing it, I think this sketch from Funny or Die called The Ballad of G.I.Joe is far better. Even the costumes are more accurate (if a little, but not much, cheesier).

Of course, there are quite a few television and movie celebrities making up the cast: Tony Hale, Olivia Wilde (pictured as the Baroness), Alan Tudyk and Julianne Moore, to name a few. And whatever you do, stick around for the end of the song to see a special guest star that SHOULD have been in the movie.

I remember watching the cartoon while I was a young lad, and it seems obvious that the creators of this cute sketch knew the show, possibly even more than the people who made the movie. Video is after the jump.

Jennifer

I'd like to know why every article written on the GI JOE movie tends to leave out the fact it's been a comic book since 1982 and the 1st incarnation of the cartoon wasnt until 1983.

August 14 2009 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NDsUltimateJugg

oneill's my new favorite Internet commentator. "Did you even watch it!?!??!!?!?!! Trust me, I KNOW!"

August 13 2009 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Trechak

Sorry about the error, folks. I'll be removing Stiller's name from the article.

August 13 2009 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oneill

Sorry, that's the dreadnoks Torch and Ripper singing, the same guys that wrote and directed the video, all you have to do is check the credits right under the video to see there is no ben stiller, genius. but then again, if you're 'pretty sure' we should probably just take your word for it.

August 13 2009 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Geoff Mann as Buzzer
Andreas Owald as Snake Eyes
Daniel Strange as Torch
Kevin Umbricht as Ripper

August 13 2009 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oneill

Um... did you even watch that video? Ben Stiller's not in it. You're just making stuff up.

August 13 2009 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to oneill's comment
xnifex

I'm pretty sure that's him singing with the black beard. I'd love to see the whole cast list. I couldn't even tell that that was Olivia Wilde. I did catch Alan Tudyk, Julianne Moore, Zack Galahoweveryouspellhislastname, & Alexis Bledel.

August 13 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob

ummm, so yeah, GI Joe has been around a lot longer than the 80's. The action figures first appeared in 1964.

August 13 2009 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to rob's comment
Cander

"I don't know how many of you caught the G.I. Joe movie this past weekend that is based on the cartoon and toy franchise of the 80's."

The action figures from 1964 are not relevant as the movie was not based on those. His quote is 100% accurate.

August 13 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

Actually the movie seemed to be based on the various comic series, as illustrated by the Correct pairing of Scarlet and Snake Eyes. That said Brilliant Video!

August 13 2009 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply