April 20, 2014

NBC turns to Facebook to preview Community

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 13th 2009 9:02AM
chevy_chase_community_NBCI've been pretty down on a lot of the stuff NBC has done about the new fall season, especially the Jay Leno experiment. But here's something that strikes me as a smart move. NBC is streaming the pilot of Community on Facebook. It's sans commercials and free for anyone who's a Facebook user who's willing to become a fan of Community. Or they can send a link from the fan page to friends, or place it on their Facebook profile.

Marketing-wise, this makes a lot of sense. The demographic NBC is targeting is the Facebook generation. And just the idea of seeing something before it previews anywhere else -- on your laptop for free just by going on Facebook -- is easy as pie.

The catch? NBC will only make Community available through Friday, August 14.

The buzz generated can only help the sitcom, which has already been getting strong early scuttlebutt that it's a winner. The clips have been funny, Joel McHale is usually worth watching, and the prospect of Chevy Chase having a real comeback is all good.

Community is the only NBC show currently being Facebooked, but you have to think that if this promotion works, it could pave the way for other shows to follow suit.

Sarah

I just watched it and thought it was hilarious. The characters are great.

August 14 2009 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I'm not joining Facebook, not even for Joel McHale.

I'm not sure how successful this promotion's going to be, as many people who are interested in the show aren't going to jump on Facebook just to see it.

August 13 2009 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

This promotion is a bit backwards. First you have to become a "Fan" of Community before you can see the show.

How can you be a fan of something that you haven't seen yet? Isn't it the reverse? You watch something, you like it, then you're a fan.

I watched it, and thought it was alright. Reminds me of Dear John, but instead of it being about a divorce support group, its about a study group at a community college, a place for 2nd chances (even for those who never got a 1st chance).

August 13 2009 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Facebook?... Really?
So the target audience is egomaniacs , lonely housewives, and teenagers.
Too bad. I love watching Chevy Chase in just about everything he does, but I would choke before creating a facebook/twitter/myspace page, especially just to view a preview show.

August 13 2009 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wulfn1's comment
Paul

Seems like a bit of an unfair assessment/generalization of Facebook users. Maybe we just use it more here in Canada, but 95% of my friends (I'm in my late 20s), and about half my family (from my pastor uncle to my dentist cousin) are on Facebook.

Of course, I can't watch the "Community" pilot because I'm in Canada. :

August 13 2009 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KTW

I do think this is a smart idea, but I don't know if I'd call it particularly new. Back in 2004 when The WB wanted to give people a sneak peak at Jack & Bobby, they put a disc containing the pilot inside of an issue of Entertainment Weekly, if I remember correctly.

During the final season of The OC, Fox put episodes up on MySpace before they aired. This is a clever idea, but I don't know if I could call it new or innovative.

August 13 2009 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nffcnnr

here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/nbccommunity?v=app_110518887050

August 13 2009 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nffcnnr's comment
Aml

Unfortunately, the link only shows the 30 second commercial. I guess I will have to wait until it premieres since I am not about to join Facebook.

August 13 2009 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Koads

"...free for anyone who's a Facebook user who's willing to become a fan of Community."

Nope. Im in Europe, and I can't see it.
Suxxors since I like Chevy Chase, always have. Beside from that crap from last year, Hjälp...

August 13 2009 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply