July 31, 2014

Sherri Shepherd's splashdown set for October

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 14th 2009 1:02PM
sherri_shepherd_bathing_suit_the_viewLast week on The View, Sherri Shepherd showed off her new body, clad in a bathing suit, and now it seems there was more to her remake than just good health and looking better. Shepherd's Lifetime sitcom, Sherri, will premiere on October 5, and you just know it's her intention to score a big time success. Lifetime has had this in the works for months. This is the network's first fully-owned sitcom, so you gotta believe the net has a lot of faith in Sherri.

The show is based on Shepherd's stand-up, which is the same formula that worked for Roseanne, Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond), Tim Allen (Home Improvement) and a half-dozen other comics, and the exposure Sherri gets from The View won't hurt at all.

The same demographic that watches The View tunes in to Lifetime shows like Drop Dead Diva and Army Wives. Oh, and don't forget the Lifetime movies. Ladies love Lifetime.

Add Sherri to the mix with a second season of Rita Rocks, and you can see how Lifetime plans to corner the female market. According to S.S., her show is ... "what Lifetime is all about -- friendships between women and how you overcome problems."

Hopefully, it will also be about jokes and laughs, the main reason people -- women -- watch situation comedies. One other thing in Sherri's favor is being on cable. Chances are that a year from now we'll be talking about Sherri getting a second season while Jenna Elfman's CBS sitcom Accidentally On Purpose might be nothing more than a fleeting memory.

izikavazo

I hope she can still come by 30 Rock occasionally. Her characters is awesome.

August 14 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CParis

"Anita said: If the TV show is as smart as characters she played in the past, I think it'll be good. But, it might not appeal to Lifetime viewers. However, if she plays something similar to what she does on the View, Lifetime viewers might like it or they might get bored."

I think her Lifetime show is more likely to be successful if it's modeled after those shows you mentioned rather than her irritating persona on "The View".
I recall that Lifetime had reruns of "Suddenly Susan" and "Less than Perfect" some years back, right?

August 14 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Was Sherri a comedienne? The only thing I found funny about her was her profound stupidity.

They can add her sitcom, Sherri to the list of shows to televise for those in hell.

August 14 2009 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Will Sherri still be on the view? She might still need the fallback. I used to think she was a funny comedian until she started sharing her personal beliefs on The View. So, the Lifetime show could be hit or miss.

August 14 2009 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Anita's comment
CParis

I didn't know she was a comedian. I've seen her once on
The View and she seemed like a bubbleheaded religious nut. This show won't be on my schedule.

August 14 2009 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

That's my point. She was on Friends as 'Rhonda.' She plays Tracey Jordan's wife on '30 Rock.' She was also on 'Suddenly Susan' and 'Less Than Perfect.' She's a great comedic actress which is why I was excited when 'The View' picked her up. But, then she revealed herself as another version of Hasselback. If the TV show is as smart as characters she played in the past, I think it'll be good. But, it might not appeal to Lifetime viewers. However, if she plays something similar to what she does on the View, Lifetime viewers might like it or they might get bored.

August 14 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply