October 24, 2014

Entourage: Murphy's Lie

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Aug 17th 2009 11:34AM

Jamie-Lynn Sigler and Kevin Dillon(S06E06) "Listen, from here on, I swear, if one of my friends so much as jerks off, you're gonna be the first to know." - Ari

I don't want this review to come off sounding like I'm annoyed with how this season of Entourage has gone (so far, it's already better than last season and I loved this episode), but I really don't see what direction it's headed in.

Going into this season, there was a lot of speculation that landing a role in Marty Scorsese's latest flick would finally nab Vince the attention, and Oscar, he's been longing for. After the premiere, where all we heard was how amazing Gatsby was, there hasn't been a single mention of that plot. Instead we're getting a lot of smaller mini-arcs that just don't seem to tie together.

Of course, this is the direct result of something that I, along with many other fans, have been lobbying for - seeing some serious character development. The only problem was that up until this season, everyone else sat stagnant and ate, slept, and breathed all things Vince. Vinny was the glue that created that continuity and with him essentially being relegated to the sidelines now, everyone else is off fighting for their own piece and it feels very segmented.

I have hope that it can still tie together, but it's looking grim right now. Drama is gung-ho for Five Towns in a big way (more than we've ever seen before), Eric is working for Murray now, and Turtle is going to be sitting in lecture halls four days a week. Granted, the addition of Jamie-Lynn Sigler to the guest cast for Five Towns has kept a connection between Drama and Turtle alive (I will feel horrible for Turtle if that network exec Coakley does end up screwing Jamie-Lynn), but Eric is so far removed from everything else right now, that his scenes feel like we're watching a show within a show.

A few more thoughts on "Murphy's Lie" --

• What's the consensus with Ashley? Do we even like her? So far, she's established herself as rude, childish, untrusting, nosy, and temperamental. I see no positives from Eric pursuing her.
  • The scene with Marlo tearing through the Miller-Gold office, looking for Lizzie was priceless. Jami Gertz must be having a blast with this role.
  • The scene with Vince having sex with the college chick while she videotaped it has the potential to go somewhere and I hope it's not wasted - there had better be a Vincent Chase sex tape floating around soon. Vince needs some conflict ASAP and what better way to create some negative press during his Oscar campaign?

One final thought, and this one is important because it could be the impetus to bring the gang back together (at least a bit) - anyone think Coakley will actually follow through on his threat and have Drama killed off of Five Towns? I'm betting he does it. Next week's episode is called "No More Drama." Uh oh.

Jimmy

I do hope that Drama gets killed off Five Towns. That storyline ran its course a long time ago. The best part of that was the Ben Silverman cameo last season.

Is Jamie-Lynn signed on for the entire season? They got to end that (onscreen) relationship sooner than later.

August 18 2009 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

I want the scene from Gatsby!

And Drama stuck up for his boy! That was fantastic to see just how much Drama does care about Turtle.

August 17 2009 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tenley

I'm really disappointed we haven't seen even one scene from Gatsby, supposedly Vince's best performance to date! It really feels they're missing a major storyline in not focusing in on Hollywood movie superstardom at its peak -- I mean, THAT's the fantasy.

August 17 2009 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tenley

Ashley is so red-alarm-warning-siren stalker material that I can't believe we (or E) would be so lucky to get rid of her this easily. I mean if her character wasn't set up to be a stalker then nothing on this series has any planned direction anymore.

August 17 2009 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

Nope, don't like Ashley. can't think of any redeeming qualities other than she's always up for a screw.

Thought the Jami Gertz scene was way over the top and not believable (not even in good way over the top and not believable Jeremy Piven-type way).

The only funny thing about the obvious impending sex-tape arc would be that we find out Vince has a big Colin Farrell-esque man tool, or that he's got an extremely small one.

The impending Drama battle looks like a good one though.

August 17 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smacksmackums

Ashley is no fun. She looks 12 years old plus she's rude and annoying. She may have prodded Eric into admitting he's still into Sloan, but that doesn't mean she's a good character for the show.
My predictions:
Vince's sex tape leaks out. Eric wants to handle everything but gets pushed aside in the new management company.
Drama gets fired/killed off his show. He goes back to being the out of work actor we loved before. VICTORY!
Turtle breaks up with Jamie-Lynn, but not because she cheats on him, but just because he can't stop worrying about it, and can't stop worrying about being just Jamie-Lynn's boyfriend, and he wants to focus on school.

In the end they're all single, Vince's career is back to middle of the road, they all hug it out, bitch, and have a nice clean slate for what the next year has in store for them. END.

August 17 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leye

Actually, I disagree with your comments on Ashley. I think she has shown herself to be assertive and has become less childish and more reasonable with every episode.
It seems that she has offered very good advice to E on many occassions this season.

August 17 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Leye's comment
Tool

I like Ashley too. Super cute. And she's been good for E.

Was surprised to see her really assert herself like she did last night. Good for her. It looks like she is probably out of the picture, however.

August 17 2009 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkny

snore - this season is terrible - these guys are only fun to watch when they are having a blast somewhere - actual story lines call for actual acting which is something these guys (except Piven) can't handle

August 17 2009 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply