July 31, 2014

NBC picks up DC Comics' Midnight, Mass. for television

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 17th 2009 3:07PM
Midnight, Mass. Here There Be Monsters #1For those who don't know, DC Comics is more than superheroes and spandex. Under their Vertigo imprint, they've brought such sophisticated fare as The Sandman, Preacher and 100 Bullets to the masses. And by masses, of course, I mean the sixty-two people still reading comics.

This forthcoming season sees DC/Vertigo's Human Target make the leap to the small screen. And now a much lesser known property is following its lead as NBC has picked up Midnight, Mass. as a live-action drama. Over two series, Midnight, Mass. ran a total of fourteen issues from 2002-2004.

The series spotlights a husband and wife duo who travel the world tackling supernatural mysteries and crimes. Think Supernatural if the boys were lovers ... on second thought, maybe don't. I think slashfiction has already beaten us to that punch and they can have it.

Instead, think Mr. and Mrs. Smith meets Scooby-Doo. Yep, that clears it up. Midnight, Mass., whose title is almost too clever for its own good, was one of the better comic executions of the past several years; nothing particularly groundbreaking about the concept. Done right, though, it could make for a very exciting series.

Willmore2000

"I mean the sixty-two people still reading comics."

*cough*comiccon*cough*

Not that I care, I don't read them, but I am familiar with the people who do, and there are a scary lot of them.

August 17 2009 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

"Done right, though, it could make for a very exciting series." Yeah, we're talking NBC, so I won't hold my breath on that statement coming true.

August 17 2009 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Kulow

Actually, the first mini-series was 8 issues and the second was 6, for a total of 14. It was originally intended to be a continuing series, but DC never got completely behind it. Having read it only last month, I think Midnight, Mass would make a great TV show!

August 17 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

8 issues? Does that mean 8 comic books? They're basing an entire show on eight stories? Good thing nobody read the comics...they'd be pissed that the writers (necessarily) deviated from the books so quickly.

August 17 2009 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to David's comment
edgore

Actually, just two stories, told over 4 issues each. About enough for, I am guessing, 2 or 3 one hour TV episodes. Maybe.

August 17 2009 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply