August 20, 2014

On the new Battlestar flick, Justin Timberlake, and the space-time continuum

by Mike Moody, posted Aug 17th 2009 1:06PM
battlestar cyon toasterNow this is getting ridiculous. There's a rumor on the Web that Justin Timberlake might be cast in the new Battlestar Gactica movie.

At first I didn't know what to make of Universal and Bryan Singer's plans to move ahead with a Battlestar Galactica reboot flick, but now I'm sure I want to see the project die a fiery, fiery death. Casting Justin Timberlake in a new Battlestar movie isn't the problem. The problem is that its just plain ridiculous to have two very different versions of the same beloved franchise out there at the same time. It'll be like Marty McFly running into his future self at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance in 1955. It could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum!

I love Ron Moore's groundbreaking BSG series, and I'd love to see that cast and crew reunite to do TV movies, miniseries, and even a big screen feature one day. But here's what I don't want to see: A movie studio looking for a cash grab and a director desperate for a hit teaming up to blot out the memory of one of the best TV shows ever made.

Moore's BSG isn't over yet. The series will continue with the upcoming DVD movie The Plan and the prequel series Caprica. That universe is still alive and well, and if Edward James Olmos is to be believed, we'll see more BSG projects in the near future. I know there are a billion different versions of Batman, Superman and other big franchises out there butting heads with each other in different venues and markets, but this new Battlestar movie idea just bugs me.

Maybe its because I was such a huge fan of Moore's series, maybe its because I'm a narrow minded nerd, or maybe its because the idea just stinks of laziness and fear, i.e., Hollywood's unwillingness to produce an original idea in an unpredictable market.

What do you think, folks? Is this new Battlestar movie a potentially bad idea, or should I just kick back, relax and drink the Universal/Singer Kool-Aid?

Creep

Way to drive a franchise into the ground.

August 17 2009 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

*Tears streaming down my face*

August 17 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caiuslupus

I didn't like the last version, so what the heck, maybe this'll redeem the franchise...

August 17 2009 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to caiuslupus's comment
Chas Winterbottom

I couldn't agree more with how bad an idea a new BSG movie would be especially considering that Caprica will be on the air at the same time. Sounds like a great way to confuse your audience.

I wouldn't mind another persons take on the BSG universe, but I think they should wait 20 years before remaking it like Ron Moore did.

August 17 2009 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Nickel

Everything people are saying about this movie can be or were said about RDM's BSG. (Starbuck, a woman!?)

August 17 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom2ytx

I'm in total agreement. Where can I get that toaster?!

August 17 2009 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to tom2ytx's comment
John Heltsley

They've had it at Comic-Con the last few years, for about $40. It supposedly burns the actual cylon "logo" there onto the toast too, although I'm skeptical until I see that first-hand.

August 17 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TeenWolfie

You can find it online at the NBC/Universal store.

August 17 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply