November 28, 2014

True Blood: I Will Rise Up

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 17th 2009 5:05AM
True Blood - I Will Rise Up
(S02E09) "I don't know what you is, but I'm feelin' you, and you a soulless bitch." - Lafayette to Maryann

After so many slam-dunk episodes of True Blood in a row, this one kind of leveled off a little. Still a great episode, just not super-great. But ... there were a few super-great scenes. We'll talk about those after the jump, so those who wish to remain spoiler-free don't yell at me ...

Let's start with Eric and Sookie in bed together. Oh yeah, that scene was so intimate that it made me a little uncomfortable, but in a good way. Like I was invading their privacy. I can see how Sookie might fall for him (duh), even if she hadn't drank a little of his blood while she was sucking the silver out of him, bonding them together so he could sense what she's feeling. That scene made me forget all about Bill for a couple minutes.

Also, I continue to love Jessica and Hoyt together. They're both misfits in their own way. She's a vampire virgin. He's the target of peoples' laughter. It's no wonder he sings "My Sweet Vampire" to her and wants to build her a tricked-out double-wide cubby.

Hoyt's mom is a good example of prejudice, I think. As Hoyt says, she's full of hate about things she knows nothing about. And as she says, that's the way she was raised. But she doesn't really even know vampires. I can think of so many examples of that sort of thinking, and it just causes a lot of strife in the world. In one way, I can see her point, though. After all, she does want grandchildren. But Hoyt and Jessica can adopt!

It was so sweet when Sookie stayed with Godric after he decided to call it good for this lifetime, noting, "2000 years is enough." He seemed like he was really ready to move on, like maybe he realized there was nothing else he could do to right the wrongs of this world, especially after getting fired by Nan/removing himself from all positions of authority. But that was a really nice scene with Sookie at the end. And between Godric and Eric, too. A tender moment between a vampire and his maker.

Some other stuff:

Nice carnage after the bomb blast. Once again, great work by the True Blood crew.

"Bill, I believe you're right. I CAN sense her emotions." - Eric to Bill, when Sookie gets mad after realizing that Eric would have been fine without her blood-sucking. Hey, he DID take some bullets for her. Let's show a little gratitude, shall we?

My thoughts on Maryann: "Higher state of consciousness ... blah blah blah ... chaos is good, control is bad ... blah blah blah ... small price to pay for bliss ... blah blah blah ...

"Please quit being so much more peculiar than you usually are." - Arlene to Terry, when he's awkward after not remembering what went on between them.

"You may be immortal, Lorena, but you are dead to me." - Bill to Lorena, after telling her they'll never see each other again. I actually felt a little sorry for her.

I like Hoyt's mom's method of making grilled cheese sandwiches. Heat 'em up. Smush 'em together.

"If he's not the center of attention, he just flips out" and "I hate your hair." - Sarah to Steve, during a televised interview with Nan Flanagan (whom I just realized is Jessica Tuck a.k.a. Megan on One Life to Live and a bunch of other stuff between then and now).

So Sam can shift into a fly. That's handy. Almost as handy as being able to put a spell on a sheriff so you can spring your friends (or whomever those people are to Maryann) out of jail.

Anyone know the language that Godric and Eric were speaking? Something ancient maybe?

What was your favorite scene in this episode of True Blood?
Eric and Sookie in bed together497 (40.0%)
Eric weeping as he leaves Godric to burn up451 (36.3%)
Hoyt singing "My Sweet Vampire..." to Jessica21 (1.7%)
Maryann busting the folks out of jail5 (0.4%)
Sookie sucking the silver out of Eric56 (4.5%)
Steve and Sarah's televised interview with Nan42 (3.4%)
Tara getting hauled off by Lafayette and her mom121 (9.7%)
Sam realizing he can shift into a fly27 (2.2%)
None of the above; I'll tell you in the comments22 (1.8%)

MareBare

Daphne said in an earlier episode that supes (supernaturals) are not affected by Marianne. That leads me to believe that Andy may be a supe of some sort (although that was not the case in the books).

August 20 2009 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

"You hate Black people." "That's a secret."

Loved Lafayette, still hate Maryanne and I want a lot more of Eric.

August 20 2009 at 3:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

Collin: I have made it through the first three books and Andy isn't special. Unless something changes in the next few books.

August 19 2009 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse

My favorite moment in the episode was Hoyt telling his mom off in the kitchen. I love his and Jessica's story line. I could ditch most of the rest of the show at this point.

August 17 2009 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
byeazell

So THAT's where I recognize her from. It had bugged me!

I really loved this episode. Sweet moments, gore, Layfette kicking ass, and no Mary Ann orgy, just Mary Ann weirdness.

August 17 2009 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eduardo

If Godric is Eric's maker, doesn't vampire lore dictate Eric become human after Godric ceases to exist?

August 17 2009 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Eduardo's comment
Jesse

That's werewolves.

August 17 2009 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josi

Vampire lore - as far as I understand it - is that a vampire reverts to human form if their maker is killed ONLY IF they have not yet bitten any one.

I LOVE Lafayette... sticking up for his cousin like that... and after all, he IS still a man. One with muscles. Maybe he can kick Eggs' butt even moreso because the trance makes them a little clumsy?

Also, when talking about sharing blood - your'e right... Sookie has had Bill's blood and he CAN hear her... he jumps right outta "coffin" to come runnin'. Now... if they're saying it makes a human "want" the person whose blood they drank, wouldn't that mean Lafayette - being gay - would desire Eric, too? I know Eric said he wanted to keep tabs on Lafayette - but... I also have a question about "V" - why doesn't that work the same, too?

August 17 2009 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

The Maryann storyline has been by far the weakest this season. There has never been any resolution and not really any buildup. The first couple episodes with her were intriguing, but after that it just became repetitive. On the other hand, the vampire storyline was great. Godric brought another angle to the show we hadn't seen before. I have a full review of the episode on my blog.

August 17 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenacra

Call me an old sap, but I still am rooting for Sookie and Bill. Eric seems to be way too manipulative and hurts Sookie as much as he helps her. It's getting intense with the season coming to a close, I'm on pins and needles... and yet, a little sad because I have to go awhile without seeing what happens next after just three more shows!

August 17 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

- According to the closed captions, Godric and Eric were speaking Swedish.

- Who knew? A despondent, suicidal 2000-year old Vampire Sheriff? I still don't understand why Godric felt the need to die. Even the PR lady said to take it easy...

- Maryann is just annoying, sort of like this episode. She keeps rambling around the show without really making it a point to do something (even if she IS a Titan/Goddess/Handmaiden to Dionysus/etc.). Although she seems to be kicking up a storm by looking for Sam in the next episode. She really should go away.

- Arlene is by far the most IRRITATING character on TB. Kill her. Permanently (no vampire rebirth). Please.

- As strange as this sounds, I think that Eric and Sookie have more chemistry onscreen that the boring couple of Bill and Sookie do. Granted, Eric and Sookie were naked... but B & S are so boring together.

- In fact, the actor who plays Bill is boring... for that matter.

August 17 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mb's comment
mb

A couple of additional things that I'm wondering about:

- why did Andy let a naked Sam walk into his hotel room so nonchalantly? Wouldn't Andy be the first to freak out in that situation?

- More importantly, why is Andy one of the few people who isn't affected by Maryanne's spells? Granted, he's usually drunk when he stumbles onto her orgies, but he's usually immune to her spells. I haven't read the books but does this mean that Andy is something special?

August 17 2009 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris the marketer

I thought this was the weakest episode of the season by far. Godrich's reasons for killing himself seemed weak, to the say the least. Because he felt bad?

The Godrich of the book was a much better story, and I'm not sure why they changed it. Two vampires were captured in the book 1)Godrich 2) a sherriff vampire.

Godrich actually went willingly to the Fellowship of the Sun because he realized how evil he really was. . .kind of a child killing/molesting vampire older than dirt. . .though the scene was similar (after 2000 years I can still be surprised)

August 17 2009 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply