October 24, 2014

Food Network Star runner-up gets a show, too!

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 18th 2009 1:01PM
Jeffrey_saad_Food_NetworkRemember how in Miss America, the emcee would always say that in the event that Miss America cannot fulfill her duties, the first runner up would step in? Apparently that's how it works with The Next Food Network Star, too. Just three weeks after Melissa D'Arabian was declared the winner, her number one challenger -- the guy who placed second -- Jeffrey Saad has been given his own show. It's not on the network, but it's a show nonetheless.

According to Food Network honcho Bob Tuschman's blog, Jeffrey Saad will be doing a mini-series on the web site -- exclusively for now -- called The Spice Smuggler. The premise is based on the Alton Brown directed pilot that Jeffrey presented in the finale of The Next Food Network Star.

According to Bob's blog, Jeffrey's show will be all about spice, kicking off with favorites like paprika, five spice, anise seed and garam masala. I have no idea about the last one of those, but presumably that's the reason to surf over and check out the program.

What Bob doesn't write, but might be implied, is that if the web series is impressive, it could be a springboard for something on the network. Since my bold prediction that Jeffrey would win -- yes, I'm quite a seer -- I've figured that Mr. Saad would find a job on Food Network.

The folks at FN might want to reconsider idea behind The Next Food Network Star. It's only a competition because it plays better on TV, but essentially this show is a focused audition. Previous winners haven't necessarily become stars -- where are The Hearty Boys? -- while contestants have cropped up in other shows as interesting personalities, including Kelsey Nixon, Reggie Sutherland, Nathan Lyon and Adam Gertler.

Mary Lee Shucart

I'm thrilled to see that Jeffrey Saad is going to have a spot with the Food Network. After he lost, I felt like it had been a waste of time to watch the competition. I honestly felt the same way last year and when Lisa lost. I tried to find a way to email the network last year about their choice and couldn't find one, so am pleased we now have a way to express our opinions and concerns.

October 11 2009 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fairey

ugh, how AWFUL. This is exactly what I am talking about when I say that the Food Network is going down the toilet.No real chefs anymore, just people trying to entertain...and this guy was especially dorky, not to say that I like that other girl, either.They put her show on during the weekend and I only saw it on there once and it's gone now, not that I'm not surprised.

October 11 2009 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynette

Oh, please, not Debbie!

I don't like the show with Adam Gertner. Can we replace his show with one featuring Jeffrey, preferably cooking "regular" dishes that don't include weird foods or spices?

August 31 2009 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

toldya he'd get a show. I predict it will have enough success to land on the tv airwaves eventually

August 19 2009 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wulfn1's comment
mcstowy

Lets hope so. He was by far the most interesting contestant and seems genuinely nice.

August 25 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

The Hearty Boys was a terrible show; boring as could be, muck like the actual winners themselves. I'd be interested to know what Melissa d'Arabian's ratings are like. The show she was shoe-horned into is nott he great, but Melissa herself has been rather good. As for Jeffrey, you had to know they were going to find something for him to do. I'm surprised we haven't seen something from Debbie.

Both Melissa and Jeffrey have talent if the network is willing to nurture them into future stars. Much like they used to do with then unknowns like Bobby Flay and Rachel Ray. If you've ever seen their early shows they were both horrible.

August 18 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jimmy_MO's comment
Jim Testa

Next Food Network Star has a really terrible track record. Hearty Boys, Amy Findley... gone. Melissa D'Arabian's disappeared already too. In five years, the show's only created one real star in Guy Fieri. I hope they do a better job picking the next Iron Chef.

October 09 2009 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply