October 2, 2014

Glenn Beck running out of sponsors

by Danny Gallagher, posted Aug 18th 2009 4:28PM
Glenn BeckWhen a company does business with the likes of Glenn Beck, the saying "What you see is what you get" could not be more appropriate to the situation.

That's only because "Crazy is as crazy does" really isn't a saying.

Some of the show's sponsors are learning that lesson a little late in the game now that they have started pulling their ads from Glenn Beck's Fox News show in the wake of comments he made regarding President Obama's rampant racism.

ConAgra, Geico, Proctor and Gamble and Progressive Insurance have all stopped sponsoring Beck's show. Shoot, getting to see that super-cute gal in the Progressive ads was the only good thing I had to look forward to while watching the Glenn Beck Program.

The article points to two antagonizing sources for the ad pullout. The political coalition group ColorOfChange.org started a campaign to get supporters to contact the show's sponsors and demand they stop supporting him with their dollars. Ad exec and CNBC and MSNBC host Donny Deutsch also listed some of the show's sponsors in his effort to rid the airwaves of extremely volatile news shows and asked his viewers to do the same saying that using corporate ad dollars as leverage against such figures is the "ultimate check and balance." If only TV land had a legislative and judicial branch as well.

Fox News, of course, denies that the lack of ad space has had any effect on the show and Beck did retract his statement about Obama's hatred of the white man. That retraction, of course, was made five seconds after he made the initial statement and then re-retracted that statement in less than two seconds. So maybe the boycott is more about keeping the mentally bipolar from taking over the nation's airwaves and less about keeping unfettered and rampant accusations posing as "news" that are based solely on personal opinions in check.

Andrew

God is up there above us, and sees it all. Only He can judge us. I have found some interesting facts about Glenn Becks here : http://www.browsebiography.com/bio-glenn_beck.html

March 28 2011 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

No matter what, God is up above and sees it all. And only He can judge us. I have found some interesting things about Glenn Beck here : http://www.browsebiography.com/bio-glenn_beck.html

March 28 2011 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katrina

I am neither Conservative nor Right-Wing. However, I do watch Glenn Beck. In response to Susan Mayhew's comments - I am wondering when your factual arguments against the things Mr. Beck brings to the fore are going to begin. Let's see, he aired the Acorn Videos and now there is an investigation. He aired information (factual) about Van Jones and now he is gone. Please, without emotion, tell me what he has gotten wrong.

September 30 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Al Waller

I find it quite interesting that our president can say anything without being exposed on the biased newscasts: case in point, saying a police department acted "stupidly". His wife even said that this is a "mean America".

Is President Obama a racist? I think it possible. But God have mercy on us if we no longer have "freedom of speech" Don't try and stop Glenn Beck from speaking!

August 31 2009 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tommy

i'm available

August 31 2009 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tommy

hey glen, i'm sober 25 years this oct 10 god willing ! i'll take on the task of sponsor if you're interested?

August 27 2009 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark "The Hobo" Watson

Said to see the corporate hate machine let go - and kill
Glenn Beck's from-HLN-to-Rupert Murdoch agenda. In the best interest of News Corporation's decision to pull the plug on The Glenn Beck Program, Fox News Channel viewers understand how free and clear Beck is.

Visit the Fusion Magaine official site at http://www.glennbeck.com.

August 25 2009 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anomaly5x

Poor baby will probably cry now. He's a worthless human being anyway, and an embarrassment to all Americans.

August 24 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Mayhew

The problem posed by those who drone on about free speech and the mis-steps of msnbc is that all of these people have been first poisoned by Evangelical 'thought' then (mush-brains prepared) they absorb the mindless blather of anyone who spews hate speech without examination...
The US has been destroyed by the lack of intelligent discourse brought on by the religious right and their mindless zombies... take back this country!

August 23 2009 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Susan Mayhew's comment
katrina

Uhm, I'm a Pagan. I support gay marriage and am Pro-Choice. I believe that every person has the right to try to make the best of their life without government intervention or hand-outs. I watch Glenn Beck every day. What convenient little niche would you attempt to cram me into?

September 30 2009 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

I'm commenting on this article, so that must mean I feel a way about something! My way is the right way! I will not listen to any of the other commenters, and will, if so provoked, fly into a rage for no reason! I am CHANGING F---NG MINDS and REMAINING F---ING STEADFAST!

August 21 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply