July 30, 2014

Weeds: Ducks and Tigers

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 18th 2009 3:19PM
Weeds - Ducks and Tigers
(S05E11) "If you don't climax, the terrorists win." - Andy to Audra, after the anti-abortionists start throwing stuff through her window

This is probably my least favorite episode of Weeds so far this season. I know some of you haven't been digging this season at all, but I've been hanging in there, holding out hope that it'll end on a high note, and even loving an episode here and there. But aside from a few Andy-isms, I wasn't really feeling this ep much.

So Celia's a lesbian now? It was mildly amusing when she started asking Isabelle about being a lesbian, but so wildly inappropriate that it wasn't really that funny. I mean, Isabelle's what? Twelve maybe? And then Isabelle says, "No, don't take this away from me!" and "New mommy is still a hateful bitch." Why any of these kids haven't been hauled off by social services is beyond me.

I appreciated the scenes involving Andy and Audra and their sex stuff, and her wanting to know what he did: "I can't tell you. Trade secret," says Andy.

And also Doug and Dean attempting to be sober, and Doug realizing how big his feet are, and remembering disturbing stuff about the circus.

Nothing about the other storylines really grabbed me: Nancy trying to breastfeed after the baby is given formula ("Peasants breastfeed," says Esteban), Nancy visiting Guillermo in prison, the arrival of Esteban's daughter (did Nancy even know about her?), spider-goats, and Esteban getting hauled off for suspicion of conspiracy, racketeering, and tax evasion (like Nancy should be surprised).

My Weeds is floundering! Any thoughts on this episode?

JettaJameson

Most of you people are crazy. I think Weeds gets better and better with every season. Sure, not every plot detail is good. But no show can do that. I'm looking at the while package and Weeds is a winner. It's my favorite show on TV. I just wish the seasons were longer....or the episodes were an hour.

August 26 2009 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

Celia has always been desperate for love & approval...think about some of her past relationships...so it doesn't seem that out of character for her to respond when a lesbian shows interest. I've always thought she had a bit of a crush on Nancy...

Way back in the early Esteban scenes, he had discussed his daughters with Nancy - that may be part of his reason for being excited to have a son. I found their mini-argument on child-rearing to be fascinating, with the way that Nancy almost seemed to concede that Esteban's hands-off absenteeism might not have been the worst thing for his kids.

And for the record, I'm loving this season. I've always thought "comedy" wasn't quite the right category - it's more like "funny drama".

August 21 2009 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dray

Not my favorite episode but I did appreciate the advancement of Nancy's story arc. How long before she truly realizes she ruined her kid's chances at living normal lives? I'm curious to see how she will try and "fix" that. The writers seem to flirt with this idea but then abandon it every few episodes.

August 19 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Just when I thought the last episode was turning the series around for the first time in three seasons, the idiocy of the show's writers returns.

This episode sucked. The show sucks. Kenji should be fired. Why is Elizabeth Perkins still employed? This show only proves me right every time.

It is time to cancel this disaster. Whoever thinks this is a comedy should have their head examined.

August 18 2009 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhomboid

I too thought that Celia deciding to try to be a lesbian (as if) was a really lame plot point, but in the larger scheme of things its purpose really was just to be the last straw for Isabelle so that she would help Doug and Dean -- and hopefully *that* will result in some really great comedy moments and karmic comeuppance for Celia.

August 18 2009 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

This was the funniest ep of the last 3 seasons. Weeds has gone so dark, it was great to see it funny again.

August 18 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

highlights were spider-goats, alanis having orgasms and the stoned ideas the guys had written all over each others skin.

i've never liked esteban and i'm still bummed that nancy and andy didnt take off together, so i REALLY liked the ending.

this season (and last) just haven't really been that great. burning down Agrestic was a bad idea, IMHO. but i still watch, mostly for kevin nealon and andy.

August 18 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply