September 23, 2014

Live action Star Wars begins shooting this year

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Aug 19th 2009 2:02PM
Boba Fett will play a major role in the new Star Wars live action show.The long-rumored Star Wars live action series is reportedly coming together quickly and will begin shooting before 2009 ends.

You can pick any one of many collected reports, but they all say the show is well past the planning stages and is only waiting on completed scripts before George Lucas begins casting the essential roles.

While news of Star Wars on TV might have generated a bored groan from viewers after the prequel movies came and went, the critical and ratings success of Cartoon Network's The Clone Wars shows that a galaxy far, far away can work on TV if the writers, directors and cast remember that this is all supposed to be fun -- not high drama of a deeply spiritual nature.

What do we know about the new series? It will take place in the long years after Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and before Episode IV: A New Hope, and document the early struggles of the fledgling rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Classic characters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Boba Fett (right) will play a part, but Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine won't. It's set for production in Prague -- not in Australia, as once rumored.

What don't we know? As I said, casting is wide open at this point. Could other classic characters like Yoda, Chewbacca, C3PO and R2D2 appear? It's unclear if George Lucas will write or direct any portion of the show himself. There's no mention of how many episodes will be produced or where it might air.

We also don't know if it'll be any good. But I'm willing to wager millions will tune in to find out.

Not Bitter

I am hoping for Han Solo PI

August 20 2009 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Not Bitter's comment
carrespondent

Better that than "Jar-Jar Binks: Pet Detective."

August 20 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

They want people to tune in? Okay, but I think it would help if the story included a little info about which network the show will be on (or do they not yet know?).

August 19 2009 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Oddly, Rick McCallum was saying for years that it wasn't 100 episodes, which is a lot (4 full seasons at 25 episodes per season or 5 seasons of 20 eps), but rather 400 episodes!!!! That's 16 years of 25 episode seasons.

But, as we all know, RM is a toadie moron... so cum grano salis.

August 19 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

I thought I remembered hearing Lucas say that basically, he doesn't care if the show is popular or not... he wants to complete it at (100 episodes may have been it, can't remember exactly). Thing is, the guy has enough money for it to be in a deficit and him still complete that goal.

I think it has a great opportunity to be completely awesome, I just hope to god they don't screw it up.

August 19 2009 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George McBain

"There's no mention of how many episodes will be produced or where it might air."

I am pretty sure I remember hearing there were talks to do exactly 100 episodes, perhaps reported here on TVSquad. I will see if I can find the article.

August 19 2009 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chas Winterbottom

I'm betting that the midi-chlorian count for this show will be low.

August 19 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

What about Han Solo's back story? If they casted the role right, I'd love to see how the scoundrel met Chewy and Lando and earned the bounty put on his head by Jaba.
And Leia... she was part of the rebellion from the beginning. It'd be nice to see what things were like on her home planet before it was blown up.
I'm not sure I want to see much of Luke's childhood. Womp rats and moisture farming doesn't seem too interesting.

August 19 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenm

It has the potential to be really good - as long as George Lucas stays far, far away.

August 19 2009 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kenm's comment
R-Bro

Couldn't have put it better myself.

August 19 2009 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply