July 22, 2014

Warehouse 13: Implosion

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 19th 2009 12:16PM
Warehouse 13: Implosion(S01E07) That certainly didn't feel like the seventh episode of Warehouse 13. It felt more like the third, only with an added scene to try and explain away Claudia's absence. And that's what I'm going with.

The level of distrust between Pete & Myka and Artie was reset to earlier in the season, as was the secret keeping he was doing. It's beginning to make me wonder if originally CCH Pounder was going to have a more prominent role, as was Leena. Then when Pounder got picked up for FOX's Brothers, she pulled back on Warehouse 13 to recurring status, and we got the Claudia evolution. Which was a good thing.

I missed Claudia this week; she's the kind of humor I like. Luckily, Pete had some good humorous moments. He reminds me, in a lot of ways, of Sheriff Carter on Eureka, Syfy's other light-hearted science fiction romp. How weird is it that we now have to clarify Syfy's science fiction programming because it's not inherently obvious from the network name ... unless you sound it out.

Did you notice how I haven't made mention of the artifact quest this week? That's because it was rather uninspired. The logic of the sword making someone invisible didn't even work once they started trying to show it to us. So I'll just ignore it.

Luckily, the guy behind it may prove to be a more interesting foe, James MacPherson. He has Warehouse tech, along with the technical know-how (or a team with such) to build Warehouse tech items, like the implosion bomb this episode gets its title from. For that aspect alone, I respect the episode. We should have seen it sooner; nothing irks me more than when a network shows episodes out of order for their own punked up reasoning.

Guess what the last episode of the season is titled: "MacPherson." See, that's important. Oh, and if this was supposed to be the seventh episode, and you just weren't going to feature Claudia, then you did a piss-poor job of convincing me that's what was going on. Either that, or you were intentionally ignoring the trust that had been built between our principal cast for some reason.

And yes I know that the trust was tested with the revelation of Artie's "treasonous" past, but the reset button had been hit prior to that. But revealing secrets? I'm all for that. Let's put some more meat on this show, so I have something to chew on from week to week. The "artifact of the week" isn't enough for me. I can sense it brewing, so I'm hanging in there. Just keep feeding me morsels and we'll be good.

Mark

I wonder if the line Artie made to Mrs. Fredric might not be telling? "We're all human...as far as I know."

Claudia is to Warehosue 13, as Zoe is to Eureka.

August 22 2009 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

There was the normal plotholes and lazy writing you would expect in this show, but I felt the pacing was much better and this episode was the best so far. I have a full review of the episode on my blog.

August 19 2009 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vijay

Confused about one thing: If Claudia can break into the Warehouse, why can't MacPherson? Wouldn't that be the cache of weapons he needs?

August 19 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Vijay's comment
Ryan

Presumably MacPherson is not the technical genius Claudia is at circumventing the Warehouse's security.

To clarify an above point, MacPherson did not build the implosion grenades himself, nor have we seen him have any type of team yet. He ordered the grenades from the old man he turned into powder, who was under the mistaken impression that MacPherson was still a Warehouse agent.

August 20 2009 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

definitely out of order... certainly seemed like artie and their old boss hadn't met face to face already, plus what you're saying about the trust issue. it was just weird throughout time-line wise. i dug the sword invisibility FX though!

August 19 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

no mention of the line: "first, he doesn't think we're red shirts. Second, it's so cool you knew what I meant."

August 19 2009 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DJ's comment
scott

ha ha, yeah, that was great!

August 19 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BonesFan21

Amen...I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling like this eppy was aired entirely out of order.

August 19 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply