July 24, 2014

Davies has a map for Torchwood

by Nick Zaino, posted Aug 20th 2009 3:11PM
Torchwood MagazineEarlier this month, we asked you if you wanted a season four of Torchwood. Early responses seemed to say yes, and then we got deluged with people who were fed up with their favorite characters dying and who weren't entirely impressed with the Torchwood: Children of Earth mini-series that was season three.

Well, there is going to be a season four, and Torchwood Magazine got the scoop (Dammit! How'd they manage that?). According to the magazine, Torchwood creator and writer Russell T. Davies already has several storylines worked out, and knows what happens to the characters that did survive seasons two and three. He's not sure if it will be another mini-series or a 13-episode season, but he does know what he'd include.

In the magazine, which is already out in the U.K. and comes out September 15 in the U.S., Davies says, "I could write you scene one of series four right now. I know exactly how to pick it up. I've got a shape in mind, and I've got stories. I know where you'd find Gwen and Rhys, and their baby, and Jack, and I know how you'd go forward with a new form of Torchwood."

It's the end of that quote, "a new form of Torchwood," that's intriguing. That seems to hint that, while the old characters won't be completely abandoned, the new Torchwood may be rebuilt from the ground up, something a lot of TV Squad readers have suggested they might be open to (many never want to see Gwen or Jack again, and dubbed any show with them at the helm "Gwack and the Redshirts."). A few people have speculated that it might mean going back to Torchwood teams from previous or even future eras, and the show has already introduced a few characters from such teams.

So, let the speculation and arguments start anew. Fellow Torchwood geeks, former fans who want to kill Davies, Doctor Who fans, and all other interested parties: on your mark, get set ...

sarahjane6

Series 4, I don't care. Mr. Davies has proved by the last two series that all he is capable of doing is the same old plot again and again, kill off series regulars. Heaven help us if the BBC continues to fund his feeble efforts. Please I hope they spend their funds in development of more entertaining programs than Torchwood as we last saw it.

August 22 2009 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cathy

Season 4 isn't confirmed. All RTD said is that he knows how to pick it up, and that he has some storylines. The BBC will decide whether to buy another series.

August 22 2009 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kuzibah

Sorry, once your show tortures a 10-year-old to death on screen while his mother screams in horror, it has passed out of the realm of "entertainment." Life is too short to be depressed about the deaths of people who don't exist. I wish John Barrowman and Eve Myles the best of luck (but not RTD,) but I won't be watching.

August 22 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

being the cynical type (living in the US and watching our national self-destruction has something to do with that) i have decided THIS is all a cunning plan. the only thing that possibly could get me over ianto's death-by-cowardly-writers was the threat of the show ending or barrowman not participating. so here's the plan: work fans up into a lather and by the time y'all get around to airing series four (what we'd call series four, which would be a year or two away i suspect, right?) we'll all be mindless zombies in deep withdrawal. after all, what else is there to watch?

August 22 2009 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lar

At this point it would be a tough sell to get me to watch S4 but I wouldn't even consider watching with Davies in charge.

Bring back the writers and producers from the first 2 series... or even someone new (and make sure they watch the first 2 series before they start to write.. its clear Davies didn't before he sat down to write children of earth). Unless I'm mistaken, the only Torchwood episode Davies wrote prior to children of earth was "Everything Changes" (which had been another pilot that he couldn't sell on it's own that he "reworked" into a Dr. Who spin-off).

I had alot of issues with children of earth-- the inconsistent characterizations and plot holes showed a lack of focus and an astounding amount of laziness-- would it have been that hard to watch S1 & S2 before writing children of earth? The story had alot of potential and could have made an intresting political statement if it had been done better (honestly, it would have stood better on it's own rather then as a "Torchwood" story). I wasn't happy with Ianto's death, but I would have been able to swallow it had it been part of a tight, well-written story-- instead it feels like Davies was looking for a way to shock the audience so we wouldn't notice 1) the inconsistencies from the prior series 2) the illogical leaps in the action & characters behavior 3) push as many emotional buttons as possible to get ratings that probably would have been just as good if he'd told a Torchwood story (rather then the depressing political commentary he probably could only get on air by with the name "Torchwood" attached).

S1 & S2 were fun, campy, entertaining stories that occasionally made us think. Yes, there were often inconsistent characterizations and plot holes (which didn't bother me as much as they were spread across smaller stories and the caliber of the actors made up for alot)... but S1 & S2 never pretended to be a great epic story that is brilliant because Davies wrote it (we know that... he told us so).

August 22 2009 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pru

"I'm sure RTD can write several episodes before breakfast, and they'll all be brilliant because he says so.
"
Ha! I agree!

Sorry, no further interest in Torchwood, season 4 or anything else, including magazines, books or tie-ins. After killing off three characters in five episodes, there's nothing left to get excited about. Not interested in Gwen and Rhys cozy at home with the wee one, Gwen singlehandedly fighting off the alien threat, any new and 'improved' configurations of Torchwood or, most of all, the redshirt of the week, but I'm sure it'll all be brilliant because Davies says so, and good luck with that map for Torchwood.

August 21 2009 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkwmorgan

As for me - doubtful that I'll watch because it sounds as if he's set on writing about Gwen, Rhys, the baby, and Jack - and I'm just not interested in seeing Gwen balance fighting aliens and motherhood, or torn between Rhys & Jack, or with a bunch of redshirts who'll die at the end of the series. Thanks, but no thanks.

August 21 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Without Jack, I'm not watching!

August 21 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cleo

Nobody from former fans don't want kill Russell so stop it!! Not from saveiantojones campains.

August 21 2009 at 5:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coary

Pfft. I really, really couldn't care about a season four with Gwen and Rhys and baby and ooh isn't it a lovely time with all RTD's favourite characters. I can't see any point watching it if everyone is just going to die; and as for Jack... why, perchance, is Jack coming back? He's left the galaxy, and god knows he has no real reason to return to Gwen.

I'd only want to see Torchwood if it went back to the initial team - Tosh, Owen, Suzie, Jack (and possibly Ianto, though he'd not be involved much), because they'd have so many interesting stories to tell. I can't deal with just Gwen. She was the only character who never really interested me, and now she's running the show. (Shall we place bets now on whether she ends up dead, like everyone else, at the end of the series? I don't think so, somehow).

August 21 2009 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply