September 15, 2014

Firefly's Gina Torres joins Gossip Girl as a 'free spirit'

by Mike Moody, posted Aug 20th 2009 5:02PM
gina torress gossip girl fireflyUnlike our own Jane Boursaw, I've yet to dive head first into the trashy teen world of The CW's Gossip Girl. I'm sure this comes as a surprise to no one, since my favorite shows tend to take place on spaceships or feature brooding vampires. But a recent addition to the cast might get me to start watching the saucy soap for the first time when it returns in September; one of my favorite sci-fi actors, Firefly alum Gina Torres, has signed on to play the recurring role of Gabriela Abrams, Vanessa's mother.

Gabriela is described as a warm and outgoing free spirit from Brooklyn who has been hiding out in Vermont. The show's privileged teens are in for one hell of a season if Gabriela is anything like Jasmine, Torres' duplicitous character from the fourth season of Angel. It's probably not crazy to think that Gabriela will have some kind of edge to her. I've heard some of the parents on Gossip Girl make Lucille Bluth look like Mrs. Cunningham.

Torres is set to appear in two episodes and expected to recur throughout the series. Gossip Girl's season premiere airs Sept. 14.

[Via TV Guide]

Heather

Salivating this. Gina could spice up the place. Rufus and Lily got engaged at the end of the last season so Gina's character could mess that up. Maybe we could even throw in Sean Maher and Jewel Staite, Ron Glass at Vanessa's grandpa. It'll be the weirdest Firefly reunion ever.

August 21 2009 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I never watch "GG" but this news surprised me only because judging from everything I've seen in advertisements, I didn't think there were any people of color on the show. Guess that's not the case. Good for them.

August 21 2009 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Will's comment
Anita

Vanessa is played by Jessica Szohr who is part Hungarian and part African-American.

August 21 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

Don't you mean Cleopatra 2525's Hel joins Gossip Girl? That show had a lot more episodes than Firefly. :D

August 21 2009 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

On the one hand, Yay. I love Gina Torres and am glad the CW will use actors they have a history with. Plus, GG is a hot topic, so it'll help keep her in the public eye. On the other hand, I respect GT as an actress, and don't want to see her in the GG muck. Admittedly, I respect KR, as well, but with her Cleo 2525, Alias, Firefly & Angel work, GT has a special place in my heart

August 21 2009 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply