July 29, 2014

Sylar wants to save arcades

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 21st 2009 8:07PM
QuintoI know, I know, maybe I should have said "Mr. Spock wants to save arcades," but readers probably wouldn't know if I was talking about Leonard Nimoy or Zachary Quinto, so Sylar it is.

Quinto is trying to help Stride Gum with a special promotion to help raise money to save four old arcades. They've set up a web site where you can help too.

I didn't even realize that old school arcades were on the decline. Sure, I knew that home video game consoles are more popular than ever (I have a Playstation II and a Blu-ray player that plays games myself), but I thought they would still fill a niche for kids. Guess kids would rather stay at home or at their friend's home than go to an arcade. I remember when I was in my teens/early 20s I went to the arcade quite a bit. My game was Millipede.

Do people still bowl?

Picviewer

I'd worry more about saving Heroes than a arcade.

August 23 2009 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
popculturediva

a quick google search would show you that a whole lot of people bowl:

August 22 2009 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I'd go to an arcade... if I knew where one was.

August 22 2009 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

Yes, people still bowl.

August 22 2009 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

As late as the 90s, arcade games were always better than what the home consoles offered. Also, many games "premiered" in arcades before moving to the consoles.

Once the graphics, sound quality and multiplayer options at home were equal and greater to the arcades, it killed the appeal. In the same way that fewer people see movies in theatres, instead choosing their big screens at home.

Also, there's internet access for multiplayer games. You can't get that at an arcade.

August 22 2009 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alex

maybe id go into an arcade if the games werent 3 bucks a pop to play for about 5 minutes. Even Ms PacMan is like 75 cents. Why bother.

August 21 2009 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply