November 26, 2014

Does anyone care about Miss Universe (or Miss America or Miss USA or ...)?

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 24th 2009 1:29PM
Last night they crowned Miss Universe. [Insert excitement here.] Hey, I remember watching The Miss America Pageant with my mom and sister in the '70s when I was a kid, but in this day and age when there are so many "titles" and award shows, who cares? Even host Billy Bush announces it in the clip below as if he's a waiter reading the specials of the night (and who got these two hosts and thought they were special? Jeez.)

Also: how can this be Miss Universe? Were there any Klingons in it?

Picviewer

Host Billy Bush... that says it all if anyone were actually watching they'd have someone famous.

August 25 2009 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gary klein

What about the unbelievably bad Heidi Montag? No mention of her hilarious song?

August 24 2009 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I do not

August 24 2009 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MDD

Nope, I don't care...after all there are still starving children in Africa....

August 24 2009 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

I was playing PackRat on Facebook why do
they still have televised beauty pageants ?

August 24 2009 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lady Olivier

I haven't watched a pagent in years, like 20 years. I think its' amusing that we still have these "scholarship" pagents as they claim they are now right? Let's face the women are still judges on their boobs, how their butt looks in a swimsuit and how slender they look in an evening gown. If it were reallly about brains they would all be in lab coats, not fifty pounds of cosmetics. I feel the lingere show in the fall is pretty lame too, they say it's for "women" to see the new designs. YEAH RIGHT!

How about Mr Universe getting broadcast? Mr America, I'm sure there would be ratings if the thong speedos were worn just right.

I also dont watch any awards shows, or the likes. I'll admit I'm a tv snob.

We don't need these shows, especially on the network stations, or anywhere.

I find the" Universe" title silly too, just like the "world" series (what other countries do we play other than possibly Canada?)

August 24 2009 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lady Olivier's comment
Jim

Miss Universe is not a scholarship pageant. Donald Trump bought it and has made it into exactly what you describe: a two-hour T&A extravaganza. Aside from a throwaway Q&A round with the final five, it is totally based on looks.

August 24 2009 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anomaly5x

No, don't care. The pageants are beyond dumb. No wait, they are just merely dumb. Pageants for toddlers and pre-teens are beyond dumb. Parents of them should be jailed.

August 24 2009 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

who won?

August 24 2009 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I admit: I watched it.

Take away Flo Rida's performance and it was a pretty entertaining show.

August 24 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply