October 31, 2014

Entourage: No More Drama

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Aug 24th 2009 12:28PM

Jerry Ferrara and Adrian Grenier(S06E07) "That's not what this is for." - Lloyd, upon seeing Eric's "gift" and message for Ari

Eric taking Murray's job offer may be the best thing that's ever happened on Entourage. It's opened up this whole new dynamic on the show and honestly makes things a lot more interesting.

Granted, it does push Vince even further into the background of the show, but that's been a steady trend for a while now. I'll put up with anything to get Bob Saget back.

With Eric's new job comes the possibility of way more scenes like the one with Bob in this episode. It was hilarious. Even though one of Entourage's signatures is having celebs play pseudo-versions of themselves (I think Saget is pretty accurate though), seeing even more of them in this client/manager situation has endless possibilities.

What didn't I like? Scott Caan's character. Reminds me way too much of Eric's past feud with Seth Green. It'd be much better if we saw Eric get a little more cutthroat and take out some of the smaller guys. He sort of did here, by essentially stealing Saget from Scott by telling Murray about Bob's conditions (sex in Murray's office or he won't sign). I just hope his new-found attitude sticks a little. Eric as the successful jerk could be fun to explore.

As far Drama's situation, I was a little disappointed. I really was hoping Coakley was going to have him killed off of Five Towns. An out of work Johnny is far funnier than an employed Johnny. What I can't figure out is why Coakley disliked Drama so much in the first place, enough for him to say all those lousy things about Jamie-Lynn.

A few more thoughts -

• Is Lloyd ever going to get that promotion he pushed for?
  • I assume Kate Mara got the role as Eric's new secretary because of her connection with Mark Wahlberg via Shooter? Regardless, thumbs up on that.
  • I loved the clerk at the gun store. "Do you like knives?"
  • Any predictions on who Vince's stalker is? Think it's someone we've met before?
  • I loved how Jamie-Lynn simplified things for Turtle by turning his desire to buy a gun into a NY Giants reference by bringing up Plaxico Burress.

Final question? Since Ed Burns nixed Drama being killed off on the show, Coakley still said he was going to torture Drama. I wonder what that means for his character's upcoming storylines on Five Towns?

MightyPen

Thank God for Bob Saget. He was the only thing that's picked this bland, going-nowhere season up thus far. What a strange phenomenon, Bob Saget.

August 25 2009 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janelle Bonifacio

I was both delighted and embarrassed when Ari sent E those boxes of pizza in his first meeting. Pizza party!

Also, when Coakley made the point that Drama may get another job, I was hoping Drama would quit then and there so he wouldn't suffer any further.

I also really enjoyed the Vince and Turtle bonding time this episode. It was hilarious.

August 25 2009 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

who was the chick bob saget was with. i checked tv.com they dont have any info of guest stars yet

August 24 2009 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Riley Freeman's comment
xnifex

She's the mother!!!!

August 24 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick Dasko

Eric didn't steal Saget. He set him up nicely for Scott, who didn't have the balls to make a move. So Eric took it. That isn't cutthroat.

August 24 2009 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nick Dasko's comment
Jimmy

Ari would kill Scott.

I bet that Lloyd will get his promotion next season.

August 24 2009 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nosidam

I especially like the fact that the show makes several NY Giants references and then has Kate Mara in it.

August 24 2009 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to nosidam's comment
Jimmy

Is she part of the Mara family that owns the Giants?

August 24 2009 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ssco

Jimmy. Yes she is, her uncle is John Mara, the president and CEO of the Giants

August 25 2009 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zkbzjm

probly going to put drama in a bi-sexual setup like that other cop show

August 24 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to zkbzjm's comment
Berton Tan

or give limited screen time like george omailey

August 25 2009 at 12:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EvilGenius

They are probably going to cut the Jamie Lynn character from 'Five Towns' and give transform the character that Drama plays into a homosexual.

August 24 2009 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

I think it is actually genius to have Drama still working and putting up with any kind of ridiculous story than seeing him out of work. I think we all root for Drama to be working the same way we root for Jim and Pam to get together on the office. We realize that it will take a lot of tension out of the story, but it is satisfying enough to look past that.

We've all seen how desperate Drama can be when he was just trying to get work. Now that he has a decent (respectable?) job that has put him back on the map, one can only imagine what he would do to KEEP that job, regardless of what curve balls are thrown into the storylines. I'm really looking forward to how far the "torture" might go.

August 24 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply