July 29, 2014

Merlin: To Kill The King/Le Morte D'Arthur (season finale) - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 24th 2009 8:07AM
MerlinI'm not sure if NBC plans on showing the second season of Merlin. I've been wondering why NBC has been doubling up on episodes the last several weeks. Is it just to burn the show off during the summer because they have no intention of bringing it back next season? (It has already been renewed for a second season in the UK.) Or is Sunday night during the summer just a convenient night to double up on episodes?

Anyway, what did you think of the season finale?

Lisa

I LOVE MERLIN!!!! Something about legendary characters mesmerizes me and I'm happy to see it in a series! I am so glad that something "new" has come to TV that is not a reality show! NBC, please bring Merlin back for another season!!

August 31 2009 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I LOVE MERLIN!! Something about legendary characters mesmerizes me and it's good to see one of the networks show a "new" show that's not a reality show! Please bring Merlin back for another season!

August 31 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dragon

As an avid fan of the Merlin "legend" I am finding this particular twisting and telling of the tale very entertaining. I hope NBC brings it back to us next year.

August 28 2009 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dDub

I watched the series when it was airing on the Beeb and watched it all over again on NBC. So i guess i liked it enough to want a second series airing on NBC, hopefully a bit sooner after it airs on the BBC since i liked the HD upgrade (though i assume the BBC will move it on BBCHD next series).

August 25 2009 at 2:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KT

I do like the show and I'd love to see NBC bring us more of it! At its best, it's fun and clever and the cast are capable of some really good performances. I had some initial reservations about messing with the legends, but I suppose if anyone has the right to rewrite Arthurian legend, it's the Brits.

I thought the first of last night's two episodes didn't really get good until the last ten minutes, but the finale was a good one. We've seen a lot of sides to Nimueh in the four episodes she's been in, haven't we?

I'd babble more, but I'll let you read it here if you're interested: http://raked.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/merlin-vs-nimueh/ :)

August 24 2009 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joan

i love the show, which i didn't expect. the finale was great, and i don't mind the supposed inaccuracies. hope they show the second season.. if not, i may have to find it on the net. LOL

August 24 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ManfromLINDA

The story of Arthur is a myth passed through generations and interpreted differently by different cultures. There are no "facts" as you put it. It's not history. Events and characters vary within different texts with no single agreed upon canon.

August 24 2009 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tqlasnrz

Although the show is entertaining I just find it very inaccurate, by which the majority of the facts are false. For those that know the true story of King Arthrur it is sort of disappointing. For example Merlin is suppose to be centurys old and not the same age as Arthur and that is just one example. There are so many more facts I can list but it will be too long. If the show does come back I do hope that things are changed to make it more accurate. I will watch it because I do want to see if there is more truth to it instead of these made up facts.

August 24 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tqlasnrz's comment
Ryan

The reason why I DO like the show is that they are playing around with the "facts" (though these are myths and legends so there really isn't any facts involved) giving fresh perspective on the lore and legends.

I'm not too worried about about NBC not carrying the second season though. I'm sure it'll appear in BBC America if NBC reneges in its deal.

August 24 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jm tuffley

I think NBC's co-production of Merlin included the second series- so if the net doesn't run it next summer, they probably send it over to Syfy or (kinda unlikely, since they just grabbed Who) sell the US airing to Beeb America.

August 24 2009 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Calvert

I love this wonderful show and hope we get to see more of it. The finale was great, as were all episodes. This is high quality television - much better than much of what is produced in the USA these days. I can easily understand why it's been renewed in the UK. Demonstrates good sense on their part.

August 24 2009 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply