July 22, 2014

The Game may go into overtime on BET

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 24th 2009 1:02PM
The GameWhen The CW dropped half-hour comedies from their schedule after this past season, it left The Game out in the cold. The show had been performing respectably for the network, so it was more a victim of changing direction than poor performance.

A little late, but maybe not too late, BET is showing interest in bringing The Game back for a fourth season. The original options on the cast of the show have lapsed, but that's not to say BET couldn't negotiate anew. There's still an audience out there for the show, and I'll bet its more hardcore base felt a little betrayed by The CW's quick dismissal.

BET already airs repeats of both The Game and its parent series Girlfriends, so a continuation there fits well. The network hasn't had much luck in establishing a successful original comedy, so why not take a stab with one that's already established? From there, it'd be easy to grow into wholly unique properties.

MaDiamond

I really love The Game...The show had great actors and actresses. The story line was realistic and heart felt. I don't know why The CW dropped the show. They only have boring and stupid white show that don't show any black faces. I hope that BET picks up the show...When will we develop our own stations that really show a diversity cast. I thought BET was suppose to cater to the African American audience.

October 03 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I've watched the game since the very first episode. it came on right after everybody hates chris. the cw blows now since them 2 shows are gone. i even got my boyfriend watching it.

October 02 2009 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
faithful viewer

it really sickens me when people don't have anything to really talk about but other people. so what if keyshia cole's mother and sister have a show now, they are people too. as for the game i am glad that bet is talking about bring the show back, it was one of my favorite show. melaine and derwin, jason and kelly, tasha and rick were all great couple that deserve to be together. i hope that bet pick up where the show left off when kelly found out that tarsha introduce jason and camille.
thanks faithful viewer

August 27 2009 at 6:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Low comedy [Comic View, anyone?], booty videos [106 & Park, FTW!], and cringe-worthy reality shows [Keyshia Cole's crackhead mother has a show now?] are BET's mantra IMO.

I'll look forward to them trying something new. Other than the occasion rerun of The Game, I keep on clicking. For the record, MTV & VH1 aren't much better.

August 26 2009 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

^ your so wrong... there are planty of people who know this network for more than just "booty videos" according to you.

BET has been around for almost 30 years. There are plenty of people who want and have asked for new programming that is scripted and not reality.

August 25 2009 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

Thats because BET is a bunch of idiots who more interested in playing retarded shows that just make cover my face in disgrace than to air a decent show.

Uncle Ruckus reality show from the boondocks summarizes BET perfectly. I wish they got rid of the stupid channel.

But I do hope they bring back an actual decent show like the game.

and yes I am black

August 24 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CParis

The only problem I see with BET trying to resurrect this show is that there is probably some portion of the current audience who never watch anything on BET or know it has any programming other than booty videos.

It would mean the network would have to spend alot promoting the show on other networks just to draw viewers.

August 24 2009 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

Uh, Girlfriends sucked the last 3 seasons. I don't miss it. Writing was boring and I hardly ever laughed.

The GAME.... I enjoy this series. Melanie and Derwin characters are my favorite. It would be nice that BET(Viacom) picked up the show and added more new scripted (unreality shows) to a night-time line up. The Game was well written much better than Girlfriends. It kept my attention. It was obvious that The Game was the better show because it would beat Girlfriends in ratings even when it was coming on at 9:30pm before they switched. The death of Game only happen cause CW moved it to death time slot, Friday night.

August 24 2009 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

I didn't really get until The Game until syndication on other networks. Maybe I was just angry Girlfriends was cancelled. Lately, I've caught a few shows and would look forward to BET picking it up for a new season.

August 24 2009 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

If BET had picked up Girlfriends for an extra season, I would've been happy. But, 'The Game'? I was hoping it would die a quiet death -

August 24 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply