September 14, 2014

True Blood: New World in My View

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 24th 2009 2:04AM
True Blood: New World in My View

(S02E10) "Jesus and I agreed to see other people, but that doesn't mean we don't still talk from time to time." - Lafayette to Tara's mom, praying over a spellbound Tara

I'm as hooked on Eric as the next girl, but I must admit, I felt a little protective of Bill during that opening scene. Sookie comforting Eric and kissing his blood-tear-stained face over the loss of Godric was sweet, but emotional. If and when that day comes, I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for: Eric or Bill. It would definitely be a tough choice for Sookie.

So what do you think about Sookie at this point? Again, I haven't read the books so have no preconceived notions about her. But some have speculated that she's a faerie. Do you think that's the case? That was a pretty cool scene where she pushes Maryann away and that white light comes out of her hands. Could Sookie be the counter-goodness to Maryann's evil? Yeah, I know Michelle Forbes said she's not really evil, but that's how I see her. She's turned the whole town into a chaotic mess and cast a spell over everyone that causes them to do whatever they want, even kill people. To me, that's evil.

As was her weird statue of raw meat, flowers, veggies, kidneys, livers ... a gift for the gods ... and her wanting to cut Sam's "heart out while a bunch of naked people watch" (his words). At least that craziness led to the excellent scene where Jason got to play a god ("I smite thee, Sam Merlotte!") while wearing a gas mask as Andy held up "horns" behind his head. The whole lame Maryann storyline all season was worth it to get to that scene.

Then after Sam "disappears" and returns clad only in an apron with his butt hanging out the back, Andy says, "That's the last drink I'll ever take." Nice. I'm loving the kick-ass trio of Jason, Andy and Sam.

Sam: "If I'd left this town when I wanted to, nobody would be in this situation."
Andy: "Don't beat yourself up, Sam. You've been real good to this town, even if you are a sometimes nudist."

Oh, and I must comment on my ongoing girl-crush on Anna Paquin / Sookie Stackhouse. I wish I had half the chutzpah she has, whether it's fearlessly coming up against mean vampires or staring down a bizarro creature who's taken over her home. Go girl. She doesn't seem afraid of anything, even her own emotions.

Then when Bill tries biting Maryann only to start hurling up black stuff, Sookie once again takes matters into her own hands, saying (in essence), 'Well, ok, then! We've gotta get you to the vampire doctor!' I mean, she continues on even in the face of horrible desperation (the chaos of Bon Temps and otherwise).

Other stuff:

• That's a sweet carry-all case they haul Bill around in during the day.
  • I'm feeling a lot more sympathetic towards Tara's mom these days. She used to be such a mess, but seems to have turned things around in her own way.
  • Andy grabbing a bottle of liquor on his and Sam's way into the cooler to escape the angry mob of spellbound people.
  • Jason attacking the boombox with this chainsaw. The boy's got some muscles.
  • Jessica getting fed up with Hoyt's mom and going after her with fangs bared.
  • The Vampire Queen!

By the way, I'll be talking with Alan Ball this morning. Any burning questions you'd like me to ask?

What do you think Sookie Stackhouse is?
A faerie257 (74.5%)
Something else; I'll tell you in the comments88 (25.5%)

JennX

Anyone who has read the books might think they know the answer to the poll, then again, look at the changes made by Alan Ball. I guess there is no telling what Sookie will turn out to be, under his guidance.

August 31 2009 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
watch live tv

Watch all Pakistani and Indian TV channels online live at www.livetv.pk, its totally free. http://www.livetv.pk is the number 1 entertainment portal, where you can not only watch tv stations (news channels, entertainment tv stations, sports tv, kids tv, informational channels, Religious tv stations, songs tv channels and much more) but also can listen 100s of radio stations. Regards from adnankhan-1786

August 28 2009 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rash2k

I think you missed what for me was short and sweet but the best line of the episode from Terry:
"Bullshit. God has horns."

August 28 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Di

Besides the fact that you gotta love a vampire who gets his highlights done, I think Eric is one of the more compelling characters in the series and hope we get more Eric 'fang' time in the next season (no, I didn't read the books - I'd rather let Alan Ball tell me the story - so don't ruin it for me). I think Sookie is a latent witch. Marianne's primal force triggered the talent, but I'm probably wrong. Let's hear it for Sophie-Ann!!

August 27 2009 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L.

My theory is that Maryann's simply amused by Andy's bumbling drunken attempts to solve the murders and is leaving him be for fun. When he asked her about the pig (before he went completely off the deep end) she responded in an over-sincere fake supportive way and handed him a glass of wine. He doesn't need encouraged to drink and mess things up because he's doing it on his own.

August 27 2009 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl

What's Sookie?

The worst part of this show. Thankfully she wasn't in this episode much. I've grown very tired of her bi-polar moments and her complete understanding of how vampire society works. She has no problem screaming at Bill for things out of his control, then blinking and telling him she loves him, then blinking again and screaming.
Or screaming at vampires that really have no qualms about killing her, no reason not to kill her, and absolute power to kill her without any repricussions.

Or she just screams at everyone else in the town. Then turns sweet for a few seconds. Then screams again.

I haven't figured out why anyone cares about her or puts up with her. She's such an unlikeable character. It's like there's a switch on her back that can be set to either "scream at everyone" or "give doe eyes" and is usually set to "scream."

August 25 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MosquitoControl's comment
Jessica

I have to agree to you. She is annoying, everyone loves her yet she isn't portrayed as all that lovable. She's pretty when her mouth is closed and has a great body. I like Sookie in the books more than the Sookie on screen.

August 25 2009 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leebee

In the latter books she is PART faerie on her dad's side...Adelle's encounter from a 1/2 faerie 1/2 human being...I KNOW!!! ADELLE HAD AN AFFAIR ON SOOKIE'S GRANDFATHER! WHO WOULD'VE GUESSED??!!??

August 25 2009 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

Another excellent episode, and I really liked the teamwork we saw. The scenes with Jason were beyond brilliant again. Full review of the episode on my blog.

August 24 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ceti

Anubis Airlines :)

August 24 2009 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daritan

I'm still loving this season, the expanded plotline of what happened back home is interesting, if a little long winded. Jason playing a god is definately one of the funniest things I've seen this week. (Being Human's vampire hunters considering themselves the world's gayest ninjas was another)

Sookie's new 'power' I still am having trouble getting my head around. I liked her just fine in the books as just a spunky girl with telepathic powers from her grandfather. Likely where most people are guessing her fairy origins from.

As for the BillEricQuinn fight... I've always thought Eric was the only person worth any time. The more I read in the series the more I realized Sookie is the only person of any moral character at all in the series. Even Jason who is turning into such a nice guy in the show I quicly learned to hate for what he did a book or two ago. Eric, though, was the only one who from their first meeting made it clear who he was. Though if they stilck close to the books season four is gonna be VERY fun for the Eric fans.

Either way... 2 eps left... all these shows I like are going away soon. We have to get instant seasons so we don't have to wait so long for the next one.

August 24 2009 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply