July 23, 2014

AOL picks the best TV shows of the 60s

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 25th 2009 12:04PM
The Twilight ZoneIt's time for another TV list! Everybody loves lists, right? This one has AOL picking the best TV shows of the 1960s.

As usual, it's a list that will get the debate going. Shows that without a doubt deserve to be on the list: The Twilight Zone, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Star Trek, The Andy Griffith Show, I Spy, and Bewitched.

Shows that without a doubt don't belong on the list: The Flying Nun, Hogan's Heroes, and The Mod Squad. Sure, I enjoyed those shows when I was younger, but I really don't think they belong in the "best" category (I'll let you debate another show on the list, Batman - great or just "campy" great?)

And what shows are missing from the list? Just off the top of my head, I'd add The Carol Burnett Show, The Outer Limits, and Hawaii Five-0. What would you add to the list? What shouldn't even be on there?

Luis Mathews

www.undated20pcoin.info

October 18 2009 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unity

I will not buy a whole series Hogan's Heroes, like I do not think it's more entertaining than anything in this or any other decade.
GUNSMOKE is by far the most western of the '60s, but also go to the buoyancy of the family centered on them.
Ironside HEY, WHERE'S PERRY MASON!
Something makes me think he thinks that AOL put on shows I could name so brash, no shadows, or as might have been kept hearing "that show a vampire" or "Barnabas"

October 18 2009 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Attorney Smith

I entered the list with much skepticism, but was pleasantly surprised, mainly because they remembered two of my favorites, "Bewitched" and "The Avengers" (though I would rank so high on the list). The fact that the "Twilight Zone" made # 1 was the best surprise of all because I like always and always and still see to this day (but only the original black and white, none of which are terrible remakes coming years later). I agree, however, that the original "Outer Limits" should have made the list along with "Lost in Space", another of my all-time favorite sci-fi. Beyond that, a very good list.

September 27 2009 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
swapmycouncilhouse

I don't go buying an intact succession. If I believe that it may more engaging that anything else of that or any other decade. GUNSMOKE is far and above the best western of the 60's, up till now they put the too family-centric BONANZA above them all.
HEY IRONSIDE!!!!! Amazing makes me think that they put on shows that AOL could name offhand.

September 02 2009 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Snyc

Its impossible that make the best list of 60 channel's

Twilight Zone" was the best shocker of all because I will forever and always love it and still watch it to this day
but just black and white original.

August 28 2009 at 7:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I went into the list with a lot of skepticism but came out pleasantly surprised, chiefly because they remembered two of my all-time favorites, "Bewitched" and "The Avengers" (though I would have placed both higher on the list). The fact that the "Twilight Zone" made #1 was the best shocker of all because I will forever and always love it and still watch it to this day (but only the black-and-white original, none of the dreadful remakes that were to come years later). I agree, though, that the original "Outer Limits" should have made the list along with "Lost in Space," another of my all-time sci-fi favorites. Beyond that, a very good list.

August 26 2009 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Could they have picked a worse photo of The Monkees?

August 26 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Smith

A few comments.

1. You cannot make a list of the best shows of the 60's and leave off the best two of them all, THE PRISONER and MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT. I can understand leaving DOCTOR WHO off it because they never broadcast on an American network (or even locally as far as I know) during the 60's.

2. I don't go buying an entire series like HOGAN'S HEROES if I don't believe it more entertaining that anything else of that or any other decade.

3. GUNSMOKE is far and above the best western of the 60's, yet they put the too family-centric BONANZA above them all.

4. HEY IRONSIDE, WHERE'S PERRY MASON!!!

5. Something makes me thinks thinks that they put on shows that AOL could name offhand thus no DARK SHADOWS, or as they may have kept hearing "that vampire show" or "Barnabus"

August 26 2009 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

Yeah, the Addams Family was a great show and all, but The Munsters was far funnier.

August 25 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply