October 31, 2014

Finally, a Supernatural promo worth watching

by Hemal Jhaveri, posted Aug 25th 2009 2:56PM
Supernatural Season 5It's been a while since Supernatural fans have had anything to get excited about. If anything, the big name casting spoiler that creator Eric Kripke threw out there had fans feeling a little uneasy about the show's possible final season. But, there might be reason to rejoice.

After two lackluster promos for the coming season on The CW, Watch With Kristin over at E! Online recently posted a one minute sneak peek trailer for season five that looks good. Really good. Like, the-end-of-world-is-coming-so-brace-yourselves good. To spare spoiler-phobes, the full preview, plus my speculations, are after the jump.

There are plenty of goodies to get excited about here. I'm particularly stoked about the he return of Chuck, who aside from the delightfully deadpan Misha Collins as Castiel, has become my favorite recurring character on the show. As an added request to the powers that be, please don't bring him back just to kill him! Also, is that Alona Tal (the much maligned Jo from season two) back to torture Sam?

There also seems to be something of a fantasy/alternate reality sequence coming up, where Sam, dressed in all white, attacks Dean. That also bodes well, for me anyway. I know a lot of fans hate it when the Winchester brothers are fighting. One question about the promo ... what's the name of the song playing in the background? It adds a nice, eerie quality to the whole thing.

I also really like the grittiness of this trailer. The show seems be going back to it's old visual style as well. There's a lot more darkness, a lot more of the gritty look we'd seen in season one that I've missed quite a bit. From the looks of the trailer and the tidbits heard at Comic-Con, I'm officially excited now. So, who's with me? Or is that one teeny tiny casting spoiler still leaving you nervous?

David Holtzinger

What can I say, Supernatural is the bomb. I've been watching it from the beginning and can't wait for season 5. I wish Reaper had been renewed and paired with Supernatural and Smallville with Vampire Diaries. I've always been a fan of the supernatural/scifi genre and it looks like Fridays are lining up to be a supernatural night, what with Ghost Whisperer, Medium, Smallville and Dollhouse.

August 27 2009 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

Yep! Finally something I can latch on too! This is one of my favorite shows, I love the banter between the brothers, etc. I did read that there will be one episode where we will see what Sam would be like if he were completely evil. I am guessing that is him in the white with his foot on Dean's throat.

Still hoping daddy makes an appearance!

August 26 2009 at 6:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

This version of "Oh Death" is very similar to the version by R.I.S.E. (Rising Appalachia). Check it out at iTunes.

August 26 2009 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manal

Can't wait!!!

All I can tell so far is that it's a cover of the original O Death by Ralph Stanley.

August 25 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Manal's comment
Gill

It's not a cover of Ralph Stanley, he just happens to have recorded one of the most popular versions. It's a traditional folk song.

August 25 2009 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

It looks great, and I really hope they "break some eggs" this season (please, can we not have a stealth apocalypse that somehow escapes the notice of the public at large?), but there is a remarkable amount of recycled footage in that trailer. Perhaps they aren't done shooting? Or perhaps what they shot just isn't as cool? Hopefully the former.

August 25 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

Man, I started watching Supernatural this summer since nothing was on.. How the hell did I miss 5 seasons of this stuff its GREAT! Im going to finish up the summer reruns and brace myself for the next season.. If I knew this was going to fill my Buffy fix I would have been DVRing it long ago..

August 25 2009 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gill

The song is O'Death and this version is reportedly by Jen Titus and will be available at the cw site soon enough.

August 25 2009 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

The song is O Death, a traditional song most famous from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". Really dig this version, too.

August 25 2009 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

Wow, that's dark. The song in the background is creepy too.

I can't wait for this new season.

August 25 2009 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

Yup, looks great. This season is gonna rock.

August 25 2009 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply