Neil Patrick Harris is the latest American Idol guest judge

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 25th 2009 7:39PM
Neil_Patrick_Harris_CBSOf all the names bandied about as replacement judges and guest judges on American Idol, I can honestly tell you that today's name made me smile. How I Met Your Mother's Neil Patrick Harris is filling in as a guest judge on American Idol as they conduct auditions in Dallas, Texas.

Neil is not only one of the funniest talents around, but he is a legitimate singer who has appeared on Broadway, hosted the Tony Awards (and the upcoming Emmys, too) and knows what it takes to sing professionally. And let's not forget Dr. Horrible.

I don't think anyone needs to justify NPH as a judge, but Kristin Dos Santos seems to be questioning the wisdom of Fox producers in choosing him. Her contention is that since he's not in the recording industry, he's not the right type of judge for American Idol.

I couldn't disagree more. Not only does he have the proven credits, but he also can bring some empathy to the judge's table. He's been in that audition spotlight. He knows what it takes to perform and show what you've got, whether it's for a singing contract or a part in a TV series or a theater piece.

The other thing about NPH is his sense of humor. I can imagine him bringing some wit and edge to the judging, maybe giving Simon a foil, something that's necessary especially since Cowell won't have Paula Abdul to kick around anymore... or mock... or play with.

Jim

Good call!

August 26 2009 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daune Calovini

I have come to the conclusion that NPH is simply fantastic at everything he tries. Heck, he even made watching the Thanksgiving parade in the freezing rain funny and interesting. Did these same critics have a problem with Quentin Tarantino? And, he's one of the best judges they've ever had. For me to enjoy watching you judge, you need to be honest and a fan, I think.

August 26 2009 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

NPH loves Idol and has been seen in the audience...he's a natural.

August 26 2009 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I also heard the NPH loves to watch American Idol too or something like that. I saw a clip from him on Regis and Kelly and he was imitating Paul Abdul (ironic!). I guess I'll watch more than the results show this year. Maybe he'll also perform later in the year too. Awesome.

August 26 2009 at 3:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ

Love NPH, but there was no mention of him guest judging here in Dallas. The news did mention a Jonas brother but no NPH.

August 25 2009 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Ugh...they managed to find one of the few things that would entice me to watch an episode of AI...but only for the episode in which he appears!

August 25 2009 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eduardo

I skipped the last two seasons of "American Idol." Bringing NPH into the fold might make me watch this show again. Might...

August 25 2009 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

dang come on get Lulu (To Sir, with Love) who was a mentor one season to come on as a guest judge also it would be cool to see Linda Ronstadt, Cindy Wilson or Kate Pierson (the B-52's) as guest judges

August 25 2009 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply