October 30, 2014

Nurse Jackie: Health Care and Cinema (season finale)

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 25th 2009 4:20AM
Nurse Jackie - Health Care and Cinema(S01E12) "I've never been a fan of movies where idiots talk to people in comas." - Mrs. Akalitus to a comatose Mr. Nutterman

Well, things didn't go as wrong as I thought they might have, with the whole Eddie hanging with Kevin at the bar business. Yeah, it wasn't good, and Jackie downing three vials of morphine was just ... not sure what to think of it. Was she trying to kill herself, or just numb the pain from everything?

My favorite part of the episode was Zoey and her sweetness at wearing the gray scrubs and being all mopey after getting sacked from dealing with patients. I was glad when she put on the bunny scrubs again, but things don't look good for movie critic guy losing his memory. "Oh my god, I broke him," she says.

Loved it when Mrs. Akalitus got stuck in the elevator and Jackie said, "Thank you, Jesus," then kept stalling on getting the repair guys there. I'm sure we've all had instances where we've been in Jackie's position (even if we didn't have the guts to not call the repair guys).

What the heck is up with Jackie kissing Coop? It's a little weird, like a mom kissing her best friend's son or something. And Coop is just so ... juvenile, thinking that she broke her own finger so she'd come crying to him to fix it so he'd feel sorry for her. "You are a moron," says Jackie (and then kisses him!).

Apparently, we get one really gross patient in every episode. Last week it was the spider-in-the-ear guy, This week, a guy with his intestines outside of his body. And he didn't even seem phased by it, joking, "I'm spilling my guts..."

Nice song at the end.

Any theories about what might happen next season? I wonder if Jackie will be in her own coma...

irishblueileen

I would like to see a TV show that really does imitate life. My favorite nurse person is Hot Lips Hoolihan. Now that was real. Also, Abby on ER although she went and became a physician. Hawthorne is more realistic and she is not a sweet young thing.

www.anurseshealingwords.wordpress.com

August 31 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erj

But at the least it resembles real life. People make mistakes, sometimes big mistakes. Does that make them bad people?? I really like this show for the fact that everyone does not fit into a tight little box. It is shades of gray.

August 25 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyn

This show is not that great- I think Zoey steals the show. She is perfect in her role. As is Mrs. Akalitis. I like her gummy faces.

Are we to believe Jackie is so beautiful that 3 men are in love with her? Come on.
Is it her sweet personality? I find it hard to like someone who cheats on everyone she claims to love, Eddie, her husband, her daughters. Acting like Edie Falco is like the next Meagen Fox is hard to believe.
She's made lousy choices and she has been hit with a major crapstorm. How does she deal? Self-medicating to cover her guilt and shame.
Not the best on SHOTIME. I'll take Dexter anytime.

August 25 2009 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

As the episode ended, I thought "How weak."

IMHO, Showtime's original programming has been very light in terms of their writing lately. Weeds and Nurse Betty really don't have a lot of things going on, story-wise (well, Weeds hasn't had anything going on for three seasons).

I'm hoping that Dexter proves to be the exception to this in a month. If the quality goes down on Dexter (my favorite on tv), I could be canceling Showtime to save $$$.

This episode was really lame. Akalitis (sp?) stuck in an elevator? Zoey pouting/moping in gray? Betty's actions at the end of the episode?

Lame.

August 25 2009 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L'Emmerdeur

Want to see where Jackie's husband's bar is in real life?

I recognized it last night as the corner bar across the street from the building where I lived until I was 10. It's in Astoria.

August 25 2009 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gulshanara

The part of the episode was I like the most, Zoey and her cuteness at wearing the gray scrubs and being all mopey after getting sacked from dealing with patients.
gull