October 31, 2014

Star Wars: The Clone Wars gets a subtitle and a premiere date

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 25th 2009 1:06PM
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Rise of the Bounty HuntersLucasfilms told us at Comic-Con that the new season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars promised more sophisticated storylines and higher stakes. It is war, after all. And they promised us bounty hunters. One of the most popular classes of characters in the franchise was conspicuously absent during the first season.

To drive this point home, they've even added a snazzy subtitle to the title of the show for this season, as well as giving it a premiere date. The action starts Friday, October 2 with the one-hour premiere of Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Rise of the Bounty Hunters.

That follows the pattern of the films, if you think about it. While the first film was technically Episode IV: A New Hope, it was only branded as Star Wars. The stakes were raised and things got much better with the next installment, complete with official subtitle. Rise of the Bounty Hunters even sounds like an episode in the film franchise.

I think The Clone Wars really found itself toward the latter third of its inaugural season. At first, I was worried that it was going to go down as another chapter in the Ewoks and Droids camp of animated spin-offs, but it eventually stood as a worthy canonical chapter in the overall saga. Yes, I'm a geek about stuff like that.

Suddenly, I found myself looking forward to Friday nights to see where the story went next. All they need to do now is give us a richer and more dense story, and show us some real progression in the war. We're deep into the most unknown era in Star Wars lore, and I don't want to spend another season dancing around the edges of it. Let's have real events with real consequences!

Mike

And by serious fans, you mean 40 year old guys sitting in their underwear in their mom's basement like you, right?

Newsflash: The whole franchise is for children and always has been.

August 26 2009 at 3:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Etain

I'm a huge SW fan, and let's face it this show is plain awful. This isn't one of the least explore eras- there are tons of books and comics and woderfully crafter storylines- all being displaced by this show. This is for kids, not serious fans.

August 25 2009 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I think the series is fascinating BECAUSE we know what's going to happen. That Asohka exists at all is important. That she's not around for Revenge of the Sith is also quite telling.

That the Jedi are befriending clones, only to be murdered by them, is interesting... particularly since some of these clones are being fleshed out..... something we didn't remotely get from the features.

Just look at that trailer for season 2. I don't know if it's Rex or Cody, but I'm pretty sure it's one of them that remarks something to the extent that he'd give his life for the Jedi... that he would die for them. That he would do anything to protect them. And then he shoots them in the back?

A kids show? Sure. Is there more there than that? If you're not too blinded by animation and a few references that aren't there for you to begin with, sure.

August 25 2009 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrespondent

Maybe I missed the attraction of George Lucas' lesser table scraps. What's the point of "Clone Wars," anyway? To root for the nascent Darth Vader and the soon-to-turn clone stormtroopers? A prequel is one thing, but isn't this series a prequel of a prequel, set between Episodes II and III?

Fans of the series: What attracts you to it? I'm curious. Thanks.

August 25 2009 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to carrespondent's comment
R-Bro

I agree: prequels suck. Especially Star Wars prequels. That said, there's a lot about the series that I like. I'm surprised it's not getting more attention from kids, the media, etc.

August 25 2009 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

Elf, convince yourself. Watch and maybe you'll like it. If not, let your son watch and enjoy it. Because he will. Just like you enjoyed it when YOU were a child, full of imagination and wonder. That was until it was squelched out of you by some other overbearing adult.

August 25 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csb1227

The biggest real consequence I'm curious to see unfold is Order 66. (I know it's in the movie) I like Asohka but are we going to get comfortable with characters knowing how and when they're gonna die?

At any rate, I loved the first season. Looking forward to the second.

August 25 2009 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Less Ziro the Hutt, less Jar Jar, less Asohka... that'd be a good start.

August 25 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply