July 30, 2014

Doctor Who and PBS - Flashback!

by Brad Trechak, posted Aug 26th 2009 6:04PM
Doctor WhoBack in the Old Days, before cable ruled the air, Americans only got to see Brit television (most notably, Doctor Who, but also The Prisoner and Monty Python's Flying Circus) via their local PBS station.

Now, thanks to the magic of YouTube, we can revisit those days when the only on-air Comic Cons or Cosplays were the folks at PBS (or whatever public access station was available) dressing up and embarrassing themselves in front of a camera in an effort to get donations. The most interesting aspect is that the low-cost special effects they used to get donations were the same as those used on Doctor Who at the time.

I sincerely hope the folks behind these videos are watching them right now and cringing, praying for the ground to swallow them up. More likely, the people behind them are the ones who put them on YouTube in the first place.

The first video is below. The rest can be found here. For the record, I have never owned a disappearing TARDIS mug, and I am a lesser person for it.

[via Topless Robot]

boblala

I owned that mug. I think I still have it. But it stopped working after awhile.

August 28 2009 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I had a TARDIS key that I received from donating to PBS. I was so proud of it, I wore it as a necklace. Everyone at work kept asking me what it was, and when I told them, had NO idea who the Doctor was. I quit soon after.

August 27 2009 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

I'm pretty sure 'The Prisoner' originally aired on CBS, and only much, much later on PBS.

August 26 2009 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

What a flashback! I live in N CA and this was one of the 3 Bay Area stations that showed the Dr. In the mid 80's there even was a Dr Who event with Jon Pertwee at Sacramento State. Both my mother & I got signed pictures and other "Who" stuff (all of which I still have).

August 26 2009 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

'We've got so many interesting things throughout the show, such as trivia questions. How many stars are there on Sarah Jane's jumper?'

LOLZ